When ya got that gut feeling...

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lowbatts and I went out this morning and it seemed like we were in the right place at the right time.
One of the local parks was having some new bike paths and road work done. Some piles of the dirt were being put aside and we checked it out for a little bit, but didn't find anything. Strange. Maybe they only took off the top inch or two of dirt but I was expecting at least a bunch of clad.

Anyways we walked to other areas of the park and Tim got a nice buffalo nickel but I was mostly getting the usual pull tabs, nails, can slaw, and the occasional newer dime or penny. Those piles of dirt kept calling me back but I thought it was because I was being lazy and didn't want to dig the hard packed ground.

Well after about 3 hours Tim had to head home and I decided to hit the piles of dirt before I left.
The only silver I found today was in those piles! I should have listened to my gut instinct sooner!
My very first 1898! Sweet...

Attachments

• Dimes1.jpg
    Dimes1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Dimes2.jpg
    Dimes2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 8-29-08.jpg
    8-29-08.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 218

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds!!! :thumbsup:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah Baby! Nice shineeee coins! That cut they did today was next to the drive and high, not even in the prime area yet so those were good hits coming from what should have been fairly barren ground. Can't wait until they get to the meat of the area next week.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hey Mayo, congrats on the nice finds. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I still don't have a Barber coin of any kind.

I found myself out in Elgin on Friday. Saw lots of spotty sidewalk work in downtown. I figured you & Lowbatts have that covered! :wink:

I came this close to dropping in to one of the older city parks to swing coil, in but decided I was just too tired for it to be enjoyable... :sleepy2:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Kimsdad, let us know, you can hit that dirt anytime with us! As for the downtown work, it's the umpteenth time in the last 20 years they've torn up those spots. Used to get some real goodies there, but this time around I've gotten nothing old except iron in those spots. I'll be hitting them first light tomorrow just to be sure again, but it hasn't produced for the last ten years. Think they've just refilled those areas too many times.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I have a couple of dirt piles i've hit but not such luck. congrats!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Thanks for the kind offer Lowbatts! I'd love to join you out there to meet you guys and get some more practice with this "new to me" SE. Let me know where & when & I'll try to be there. I work a "they call me if they need me" job some mornings, but that's been slow lately, so I've got a lot of time on my hands...
Neil

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. It's good when you're able to kick yourself in the butt to get motivated. That's usually when you make the good finds. Laziness is always an enemy, believe me I Know. Some days it's just to damn hot and all you want to do is some easy hunting. Congrats again.
John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread