Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting ready to graduate college and most likely I'll be moving up to the Chicago Area (around Midway). I'll definitely be looking for places to go detecting and would like to make some friends in that area since I hate going by myself. If anyone would like a hunting buddy to explore some new places with, just PM me and we can talk! Also, if anyone has any information about the parks around the area please share. I would like to learn the rules, regulations, etc, etc so I don't get busted by the Man.

Thanks and Happy Hunting,
Codes

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Codes,

Welcome to Chicago from a life-long Chicagoan. Midway is south of where we hunt; we've got a group that does outings once in a while up here on the north side (Go Cubs!). I'm sure you'll find someone down there by you to hunt with, but if you're willing to travel a bit, you're more than welcome to join us on our hunts if you'd like. I'm using the same setup as you are.

Joe

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Codes,

welcome the Big Windy.

I live south-west of the city but you will find lots of
good locations.

You do mean Midway airport and not the Midway in
Hyde Park? (also an interesting area.)

" I would like to learn the rules, regulations, etc, etc "

It's Illinois ;D, Chicago ;D ;D ;D :wink:
Rules, rules, and more rules. Most not enforced. :-\

Lots of spots in the Midway airport area; for general detecting.
Never know what you will find.

Just S/W of the Midway airport
area are miles and miles of Forest preserves.
Again, no digging allowed, but no enforcement
in Cook county. You will be able to head out into
woods and locate many old properties. ;D

Write or go online Cook County Forest Preserves.
Request maps and information.
http://www.fpdcc.com/
(I would start here)

Few older towns South and South-West of the
airport. Also good areas.

Use caution if you go North or North-West; some
very strange folks up that way. ;D :wink: 8)
;D ;D ;D Some say its a pit of vipers :D :wink:

Nothing but pirates and outlaws North and West,
until you get to the Gentle Land of DeKalb. ;D :wink:

Been set back myself the last year, but plan on
getting out much, much, much more next year.

Perhaps we can make contact in 09.

have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:

Argghh Matey, you can hook up with us in the NW burbs anytime you'd like. Bring your own parrot and hook. Sometimes we dig coins older than Shermanville. I hear he's waiting to see the Cubbies win the World Series for a second time.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Cubs in '08, baby.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Lowbatts said:
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:

Argghh Matey, you can hook up with us in the NW burbs anytime you'd like. Bring your own parrot and hook. Sometimes we dig coins older than Shermanville. I hear he's waiting to see the Cubbies win the World Series for a second time.

;D ;D ;D ;D

:wink:

have agood un..............
SHERMANVILLE

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Ain't leaving you out old timer, anytime you want to see the watch city just drop in and dig it.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Lowbatts said:
Ain't leaving you out old timer, anytime you want to see the watch city just drop in and dig it.

Gee...........

thanks........................

Whippersnapper. :wink: ;D

1watch (Small).JPG

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Nice old watch you have there, though a little beaten. My 1887 Gold Turnip (pictured in avatar) would be about 18-25 years older. It keeps time to within about 5 seconds a day. Here's the 1924 Bird of Paradise gold inlay that I usually carry when I care about the time of day.

Attachments

• GoldBOP.jpg
    GoldBOP.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 289

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Lowbatts said:
Nice old watch you have there, though a little beaten. My 1887 Gold Turnip (pictured in avatar) would be about 18-25 years older. It keeps time to within about 5 seconds a day. Here's the 1924 Bird of Paradise gold inlay that I usually carry when I care about the time of day.

Yes, a bit beaten, comes with use.

It keeps time to within about 10 min a day,
give or take. ::)

Serves me well. ;D

have a good un.........
SHERMANVILLE

ENGRAVER

Jun 8, 2005
Chitown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hello, I live in Pilsen and have hunted in a park near me. Unfortunately, I do not get out as much as I'd like and now my detector is broken. I am looking at getting an ACE 250, I hear many good things about it and really want to get one. Hopefully I can get it soon. I have searched in my yard also and found a few coins and stuff. Maybe when I get my detector, you guys will let me tag along and you can give me few tips. In the meantime, I am trying to find new places to hunt.

I need to look into Cook County forest preserves, I've seen so many places that look promising, but have yet to get out and detect.

Luis S.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Luis,

Welcome to the forum. I know a lot of good people in Pilsen. Pilsen has some of Chicago's oldest houses, many from the 1870's. I'm sure you know this stuff already. If you're ever willing to take a ride up here for some hunting, pipe up on the forum or send a PM.

Joe

p.s. I've got an Ace 250 as a spare, if you ever feel the desire to hunt up here.

T

tulecanyon

i lived on 79th and harlem area as a child.
there was an old WWII army camp along the rail road, about a mile east of harlem. not much too it really, tent sites and a remains of the rail head.

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
ENGRAVER said:
Hello, I live in Pilsen and have hunted in a park near me. Unfortunately, I do not get out as much as I'd like and now my detector is broken. I am looking at getting an ACE 250, I hear many good things about it and really want to get one. Hopefully I can get it soon. I have searched in my yard also and found a few coins and stuff. Maybe when I get my detector, you guys will let me tag along and you can give me few tips. In the meantime, I am trying to find new places to hunt.

I need to look into Cook County forest preserves, I've seen so many places that look promising, but have yet to get out and detect.

Luis S.

Hi Luis,

I lived in Pilsen about 20 years! Damen & 18th Place. there are lots of good parks around Pilsen area. I sent you a list on PM. good source of silvers! been there. :thumbsup:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
I work with a guy who lives at Damen and 18th...what a small world. His house was built about 9 years ago, his neighbors' homes were built over 130 years ago.

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread