Want the opportunity to be a professional explorer? Please read.

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone.

We are going to start designing a website, and forming an organization of treasure hunters and prospectors in Ecuador, but once rolling may involve Bolivia, Peru, Colombia and maybe northern Argentina. I guess you can sort of say it is the equivalent of the GPAA of the US but it involves a broader range of exploration revolving around the countries of the old Incan Empire. The priority of the club will be to allow all members the opportunity to make a living by gold prospecting, which will allow the very real, and potentially dangerous real life treasure hunting expeditions to be funded. With the economy the way it is, many people cannot live their dreams of being a true explorer. Thus the reason for our gold prospecting aspect of the organization. To those who feel like they might have been reincarnated from a line of ancient explorers, or who feel as though they should have been born during a different time period, this opportunity is for you.

Picture this:

By the time we start taking in members, we will have a list of gold bearing areas that will allow you to bring in at least a few grams a day. It doesn't sound like much, but that is $150.00 a day in a country that you can literally live on $25.00 a day or even less. Ecuador is that cheap, while Peru and Bolivia are even much cheaper. Most likely the only costs you would have would be your initial ticket in and a little spending money to keep you going until you start your prospecting career. With the system, you could work for a week or two and join the organization on one of our major expeditions, or contribute in other ways. Web design, promoting our site and our vision, writing blogs, research various treasure legends, etc. What is the price, you may ask? The only price we would be asking would be a 10% gold donation towards funding our expeditions and running the site.

I have a very good friend/contact that might be willing to fund an Robinson R44 helicopter. We would then be able to fly into remote locations and drop off small dredges and increase our income considerably. I personally know of many very rich locations, but they are all very remote, and nearly impossible to reach on foot. This helicopter would open up exploration tremendously.

All our expeditions will be filmed and we will have a section where all members will be able to write up blogs, as well as a forum. The forums will most likely be for members only. Some of our expeditions will be extremely difficult and in some cases quite dangerous. All our expeditions will involve locals, and they will be as knowledgeable as possible concerning the area we plan on trekking into. They will be our hired guides as well as assisting in carrying our gear(porters).

There will be many aspects of our organization that will be worked out through time, including a shipwreck salvaging sector. Ecuador is a great country to dive for shipwrecks if you do everything legally. The country receives 50% of any discovered treasure.

Please share your thoughts and ideas!

AA

PS. This is an idea, and is not set in stone yet. I do have many people who will most likely be interested in joining and starting an exciting life as an explorer. A day outside sure beats a day in the office!!!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to hear quite a bit more before ever investing any money, although time I may be willing to invest as far as helping with forums, writing/editing, etc...

Although I would love to be able to spend a month or more prospecting/working for gold in Ecuador, the reality is at best I would be able to come down for a week every year or two - unless I find a way to quit working in the "rat race" soon.

I'd definitely enjoy hearing more about your ideas and would love to be able to help if/where I can as far as the website/forum/blog/editing/writing/photos, etc... goes. I'm not sure I really have the skills you're looking for, but I have an interest.

By the way, this sounds quite a bit like some of the things I've read regarding a man named Stan Grist who last I heard was trying to set up a similar style "gold prospecting/mining" operation down in Ecuador or Brazil (I don't recall right now). I don't know if you're familiar with him, but if you do some searching online, you'll find lots of information from/on him.

OP
OP
Alaskan Adventurer

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubfan64 said:
I'd have to hear quite a bit more before ever investing any money, although time I may be willing to invest as far as helping with forums, writing/editing, etc...

Although I would love to be able to spend a month or more prospecting/working for gold in Ecuador, the reality is at best I would be able to come down for a week every year or two - unless I find a way to quit working in the "rat race" soon.

I'd definitely enjoy hearing more about your ideas and would love to be able to help if/where I can as far as the website/forum/blog/editing/writing/photos, etc... goes. I'm not sure I really have the skills you're looking for, but I have an interest.

By the way, this sounds quite a bit like some of the things I've read regarding a man named Stan Grist who last I heard was trying to set up a similar style "gold prospecting/mining" operation down in Ecuador or Brazil (I don't recall right now). I don't know if you're familiar with him, but if you do some searching online, you'll find lots of information from/on him.

Actually, I am trying to get things going where we would be self-sufficient. We would already have the dredges, and hopefully a helicopter. The only expenses you would have to pay is your own ticket, and your short-term living expenses. You wouldn't have to fork over any amount of money and the purpose of this major project is to befriend like-minded people. The income would come to us in due time. In some of the remote locations we have been looking at, we could have multiple dredges bringing in at least an ounce a day. I figure we would have 2-3 of us on each 6 inch dredge. The helicopter would be used for both exploration(sampling) as well as running fuel and dropping off our dredges to these locations. Things are moving forward relatively smoothly, and will know many more details in the next month.

Yes, I do know Stan and he is a good guy. Some of these ideas were discussed between us in the past.

AA

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
"I personally know of many very rich locations, but they are all very remote, and nearly impossible to reach on foot."

Do not take this the wrong way, but if they are nearly impossible to reach on foot, how do you know of them?

OP
OP
Alaskan Adventurer

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joecoin said:
"I personally know of many very rich locations, but they are all very remote, and nearly impossible to reach on foot."

Do not take this the wrong way, but if they are nearly impossible to reach on foot, how do you know of them?

Nearly impossible to reach, not impossible. These locations have been made on foot, but lives have been lost in the past. One area requires you to hug a cliff with a several hundred foot drop below you. You have to do this for kilometers and takes an entire day. Imagine the stress?

OP
OP
Alaskan Adventurer

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So things are still going well here in Ecuador. A few friends and I are working out plans for a website. The website is going to contain dozens of longer videos of our exploration trips. The following will be the subject of our website:

1. Gold prospecting trips with actual sampling done. Location will be kept secret for obvious reason, mainly security. If we find an area where the gold is there, but too subpar for what we are looking for, then we will reveal the basic location after we are long gone from the area.

2. Searching for specific target as in ruins, or the site of a lost city. One of our goals is to search for a known, but lost emerald deposit. There are two known of, but the location has been lost since the Inca times. The general location is known, but obviously not the exact location. They are both known to be in very rugged and dangerous locations.

3. Rafting down some major rivers, and doing some gold sampling along the way. This trip will last about 6 days and involves camping along the way.

4. Climbing the major peaks including filming the almost constantly active volcano Sangay. It erupts every few hours. It can be climbed, but I don't see us doing that anytime soon. This is no joke...shields and hardhats are required. Talking about technical? This volcano also has numerous treasure legends.

5. Hacking our way through various jungle treks.

6. Exploring some of the awesome cave systems here in Ecuador, including the famous Tayos cave system. This specific cave system has numerous treasure legends, number one being the metallic library. We will be filming various parts of the spelunking trips.

7. Exploring the Llanganatis National Park. I have no intention of getting sucked into addiction of the actual Atuahalpas treasure legend, but I do want to witness the beauty of the area. The national park is one of the most dangerous and rugged areas in the world. The flora and fauna are amazing and showing off its beauty is what the trip is all about.

8. Eventually doing some metal detecting along specific beaches near some famous Spanish shipwreck sites. This is a bit low on my priority list though, and it wouldn't happen for awhile. More of a relaxing trip compared to most of the others.

We will also be touring the towns and showing you what Ecuador is all about. I am hoping to have the site up and running by the end of the summer, but I will keep you updated on the progress.

This website will be free to access and to view all of the videos. I am also a very experienced organic gardener and will most likely have a section involving that. Specifically all our projects here in Ecuador. I feel this will assist in bringing in more visitors and will make it easier to promote, and anything permaculture related is very important to me, especially considering the state of the world.

Thoughts?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Wish I was physicaly able to be there . Adventures of a lifetime . I look forward to your posts as I humbly steward my own small farm in WV .
Jim

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Keep in mind that about 70% of Ecuador is claimed and actively being mined. Primarily for copper, gold, silver and petroleum products.

You might also consider Venezuela and Guyana, situated in the north of the South American continent, had been famous as commercial sources of alluvial diamonds. Both industrial and gem-quality diamonds have been recovered from the gravels of the river basins of Venezuela and Guyana. In Venezuela diamonds have been mostly found along the Paragua and Caroni rivers. Good quality crystals have been found mainly from the Guanaimo region and Gran Sabana region, in the Bolivar Province of Venezuela.

OP
OP
Alaskan Adventurer

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If only I were a younger man. Sounds like it could be a real adventure.

A very small percentage of Ecuador has been claimed, and the claiming process is a real pita. I would put it at about 15%. Ecuador works quite different than the US or most first world countries. If you get permission from the President of what ever community you would like to work on, it is possible. In addition to working things out with the President, you will also have to work out a deal with the land owner. If you are dealing medium or large scale, then getting a legal mining claim is the way to go. Getting a claim here is very difficult and can take a long, very frustrating time. Say you are dredging on a river illegally. If the "authorities" come along and catch you, then they usually just confiscate your equipment, or burn it on the spot. I don't condone bribery, but.....$50.00 goes a long way. The average wage here in Ecuador is about $20.00.

Where did you get your 70% figure? 70% of the country is hardly even thoroughly explored. Gold mining is relatively new here in the overall picture and they are still working things out. Peru on the other hand is on a different level.

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sounds like an idea that suits my future adventure requirements perfectly.

I was hoping at some point to get involved with such a group and the fact that it will be made so easy for those involved is amazing.

I love the idea of filming and blogging as I enjoy video editing and the sharing of such exciting information. Will definitely be following this one! Let us all know when more info comes to light, when the website is available or even if you would like someone to bounce ideas off… Haha.

Thanks!

Wilkes

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have armed guards? Is the Government open to your ideas? Having been in those areas, only a fool would try and prospect there without at least a platoon size security squad. Medical facilities? Doctor available? You are NOT in Kansas anymore...

OP
OP
Alaskan Adventurer

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not in Kansas anymore? Really? I had no idea.

One of the 5 who will be part of our group has extensive medical training, so for the most part, yes...that is covered. Please give me your background experience in Ecuador since you seem to think you are an expert.
I sense a lot of fear in you. Too bad.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not in Kansas anymore? Really? I had no idea.
One of the 5 who will be part of our group has extensive medical training, so for the most part, yes...that is covered. Please give me your background experience in Ecuador since you seem to think you are an expert.
I sense a lot of fear in you. Too bad.

Actually, I would like to hear yours first. How many years have you been a gold prospector in South and Central America? What are your connections to the local governments, and local gold prospectors? How will you deal with the real threat of kidnapping and countless jungle and mountain criminal groups? How do you plan to get your gold out of the Countries you'll be prospecting? We use a Robinson R44, and it can only carry about 650-lbs with a pilot and full fuel load in Central Arizona, in other words not much at higher altitudes. You can check me out at Arizona gold prospecting, gold prospecting, gold panning Looking forward to your answers.

OP
OP
Alaskan Adventurer

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years in Costa Rica, two in Ecuador. I have already dealt with the criminal element and fortunately lived to tell about it, and posted my story right here on this sub-forum. I respect the dangers and risks involved with this venture, and will not explain our plans as well as our security in detail on an internet forum to a complete stranger. You have no idea how close I came to death, and I survived it and I learned from it.

I have about 20 years of prospecting and gold mining and feel quite confident that I have the necessary knowledge to bring it to the bank. I also have dozens of important connections in Ecuador.

This is all you need to know.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck to you..

A few years in Costa Rica, two in Ecuador. I have already dealt with the criminal element and fortunately lived to tell about it, and posted my story right here on this sub-forum. I respect the dangers and risks involved with this venture, and will not explain our plans as well as our security in detail on an internet forum to a complete stranger. You have no idea how close I came to death, and I survived it and I learned from it.

I have about 20 years of prospecting and gold mining and feel quite confident that I have the necessary knowledge to bring it to the bank. I also have dozens of important connections in Ecuador.

This is all you need to know.

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Vancouver,British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Flying a R44 at high elevations is not a good idea as I have been there and done that here in BC while looking trying to reach a crashed B25 bomber. Its a long insane story but we crashed at the higher elevations and survived. You can go here if you want to see the pics of it.. The reason for the crash was pilot error as he should have taken into consideration the elevation and the type of helicopter he was in.. He was rich with more money then brains and really should have known better.. Anyway, here is a link to the crash. I do love your idea by the way and would love to get down into your part of the world someday.
Daryl Friesen's Helicopter Crash

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great adventure, although since most on this site probably wouldnt even go to "grass" growing areas to metal detect, I just cant see them going to SA and dealing with FARC or other organizations, especially in Columbia. I dont know much about helicopters, but would imagine that the fuel and maintenance would eat most or all of that $150/d. I guess there would also be a qualified helicopter mechanic along also?

I must be just getting old! Hope you dreamers have fun. Talk to your insurance agent before leaving, he may have some advice for you.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Maipenrai,

I would not go up in a helicopter unless the pilot had combat experiance.....preferably Vietnam.

I know I'm getting old.

Take care,

Joe

spanishgold1

Mar 3, 2011
Utah
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star 2 Pro, Fisher CZ-21, Whites duel field, MineLab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive been to Colombia 8 times and Peru at least 25 plus times, with about half my time looking for gold and metal detecting except in Colombia. The mountains and Jungle are areas that you stay clear of in Colombia. My fiancee here in the States is from Iquitos, Peru . I love the adventure, love the mountains, love the jungle, and I love the people, and I am open to give it a try, but I can tell you from my experience things are a lot harder than it sounds. What I missed most in my treks was a reliable truck, my four wheeler, my GPS topo maps, and my 9mm and AR15 at my side for comfort.

I was always watched, followed and could not be focused. The other thing I learned is the area that you are going to travel to and search, it is a MUST that you have a native guide that was born in the area and the farmers, land owners know him and his family. I cant stress that enough. Also good American Beef Jerky has more power than money when talking to land owners to cross their piece of property or to ask them about the area, along with the Native guide that is born their. Crazy, I know!

I speak spanish, but out in the Jungle or the Mountain they do not speak spanish, as we know it. Your native guide from the area is a must! Other than that send me an email and tell me more... I'm interested and open to hear your plan!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread