Treasure of the Llanganatis

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Manco-
Though Culinary Caveman definitely gives very wise words, maybe you could give us all just a small "hint" if you do find something big! Just so each of us on this site, in particular the many like myself who've yet to make any type of "discovery", can smile to ourselves knowing that one of us did it, and did it right!!! Cheers to you on your endeavor!

All the best-
J.A.

Manco Capac

Mar 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I think we found '4 to L' and the 'reclining woman'. Next trip in a couple weeks, Denghue got me (Frickin' Monkeys and Mosquitoes) We are building and carrying in a 30 meter rope bridge to cross a ravine. Hoping to find the Inca trail on the other side, I definitely see something on the other side with binoculars. Should be good to go if my Quichua porters don't go AWOL...lol. Last trip many of the crew had severe hallucinations as we approached the area, my gps watch went crazy as did most of our electronics, very strange indeed. It took everything I had to convince all to stand fast, courage mates. Maybe their hearts are not pure like mine?

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manco

I wish you good luck in the next attempt .

Manco Capac

Mar 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, might need that now, El Niño is playing its games with Ecuador. Bridges out, rivers overflowing their banks, making the trip to dangerous at the moment. I hate delays...grrrrrrr!

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daryl, mt friend, it just isn't done, you don't come on and then no follow up posts -- hint

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ole bookaroo, you posted two possible sources for Dobies reference, I can't find them , could you post them again. promise to file them this time

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
RoT: With pleasure! I don't often get asked to repeat my yarns...

The original post was over in the Flipper thread - Old Mines of (Old) Mexico.

Rd3T: It looks like the papers of the late Prof. Dobie are spread all over Texas. There are 3 major collections. I think the first is what you are interested in. Box 5, Folder 3 could produce paydirt.

Again, I find archivists, librarians, et al. to be extraordinarily helpful to serious researchers. If the scope of the search is beyond what a polite letter can generate, most of these institutions maintain rosters of professional free-lance researchers (probably often grad students) familiar with the collections who can assist you long distance.

Access: Direct inquiries to the Archivist, Southwestern Writers Collection, Texas State University, San Marcos, Texas 78666-4604

SOUTHWESTERN WRITERS COLLECTION SPECIAL COLLECTIONS -
ALBERT B. ALKEK LIBRARY TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY - SAN MARCOS
J. Frank Dobie Papers 1898 -1988
Bulk: 1914-1964 Collection 019 - 27 boxes (13.5 linear feet)

13. Series I: Works, continued Research Material, continued

Box 4. Folder 6. Mexican trips, maps and guidebooks, 1931, n.d.
Folder 7. Mexican trips, diary, 1929

Box 5. Folder 1. Mexican Trips, Saltillo Diary, 1933
Folder 2. Mexican Trips, diary kept by L. D. Maxwell, 1957
Folder 3. Lost mines of Mexico, treasures, the romance of mining, includes clippings, correspondence and notes, 1923-1947, 1960, n.d.

The Wittliff Collections: J. Frank Dobie

A second logical source is the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas, Austin.

“The Dobie papers currently occupy 353 boxes that are stored on 145 linear feet of shelving. Approximately 75 percent of the papers were cataloged during the 1960s and 1970s in a card catalog. Users can access the cards only in the Reading and Viewing Room, and it can be time-consuming to read through the 17,000 cards that describe the collection.

“To improve access, Senior Archivist Joan Sibley and Archives Assistant Daniela Lozano are converting information from the card catalog to create an online archival finding aid. During the one-year project, they will also arrange and describe 90 boxes of undescribed additions to the papers and add them to the finding aid. The completed finding aid will offer a complete description of the Dobie papers online, making the contents discoverable and searchable by the public. This improved and expanded access will reveal research opportunities in many different areas of studies relating to Texas art, culture, folklore, literature, and history.

“The bulk of the papers consist of Dobie's self-described "bales of correspondence," with thousands of letters from family members, writers, artists, folklorists, publishers, book dealers, educators, students, and readers.”

Grant-funded cataloging project creates greater access to J. Frank Dobie collection

There is also:

J. Frank Dobie Collection. Thomason Special Collections, Newton Gresham Library, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas.

https://archon.shsu.edu/?p=collections/findingaid&id=36&q=

This doesn’t begin to look as likely a prospect.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, with some time, speaking spanish, this could result in some awesome leads......
Thanks for posting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions