Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All

Here is yarn that has lured thousands of prospectors into a life of hard graft scrounging the bed of a mountainous river on the Eastern side of the Andes in Bolivia. Legend has it was mined by the Incas. And later the Spanish miners in harsh mountain conditions far from transportation periodically mined the site until independence. When abandoned the natives mined it themselves. It came through world of mouth in the 1850s and attracted a minor gold Rush. 2000 gold miners set out from Australia and California and vanished into the mountains of Bolivia and Peru. Their fate has never been properly explained by historians. Family historians can trace many of the miners and families to ports in Peru and Chile but then nothing no trace of them as if they had vanished off the face of the earth.

It has been assumed many sought gold in the hills in the Andes settled and intermarried with locals or died in the bleak canyons with fever or the poison dart of angry natives. Such was the fate of many who flooded down the head waters of the amazon to find fortune glory and for some death.

Around 1903 and Australian prospector who toured Bolivia claimed the gold was being inefficiently mined and gold returns was poor. In 1923 the reviews of the region was much more promising as different gold extraction methods were being used with a better rate of recovery. A Newzealand company in 1911 brought two dredges but were defeated by technical issues and poor gold returns. Such is the fickle fashion of gold mining.

However due to high altitude, remoteness and poor economic polices of the government of Bolivia it kept a lot of the big miners out. Foreign capital was fearful to invest. Small to medium family owned gold leases was operated and still operated today. With better pumps and dredges they have been more successful in dredging the deep river bed down to bedrock underneath the alluvial gravels. Some miners have even scoured the mountain ridges to discover some of the sources of the gold.

Tipuani is the river of dreams for the little guys. The dreamers of fortune and glory that still lures those daring to dream of the glitter of gold.

Crow

tpanui bolivia.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, no damned coffee for you, you trying to ruin me? Next you will be helping me get a ticket to SA.

Sheesh , I have too much to do here, stillll the vision of riding my favorite, lovely mule down one of those barely visible, ancient mt trails to fame and fortune is sapping my self restraint. I need to finish one at a time.

I have too much to do here. still, it reminds me of watching my mule sticking her head through tummy high grass to reach some well grazed grass on the other side of the fence.
:coffee2: <- for me !

Don Jose de La Mancha

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
With the recent diversion and inspection of the Bolivian's presidential plane, allegedly at the direction of the Obama administration, based on a tip that Mr. Snowden may have been on board--and the (understandable) current disposition of the Bolivians against such an act, I would image any US effort to pursue this 'lead' today would meet with more adverse consequences than mentioned above in the OP post.
(I would think "Gringo, go home", would be a tame response.)
Don.....

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don Jose. What no coffee????.... The grass is always greener on the other side until you get there. I think it would take much more than that to shift you from your Tayopa no matter how much I tempt you. Just as me from my hammock on my island and cozy retirement.

Don Mackaydon indeed you may be correct. However Have you ever heard of the contents of a Bolivian sandwich? The everyday Bolivian will tell you. The Government is on one side, foreign internationals on the other and its the poor Bolivian in between. The average Bolivian does not give a rats ass about America or anyone else. Their main concern is the everyday struggle feeding their family and keeping the icy fingers of poverty away. Its only the government that blames America for an excuse for its own failings and ills in a land locked country beset by political inability. It is easy to beat that anti American drum, successive governments have done it for years.

However this is where having multi citizenship has its uses so you can operate under a flag of convenience my friend.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Doc-d

Indeed for example its estimated that 50% of Peru's gold reserve still lies undiscovered.

Crow.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Crow,
I'm well aware of the politics you refer to. Several years ago I was working my boat in Ecuador. During a period of two years 5 people claimed to be President.
At one time, three claimed the power at the same time. To wade through that 'mine field', my boat, Captain and half the crew were registered or citizens ofHonduras.
Don.....

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don

Very Interesting.

Was you involved in the recovery of the 1654 shipwreck "Jesus Maria La Limpia de Concepcion" in the waters off Chanduy, Ecuador?

Don Jose One of your famous amigo coffees would do nicely..

Crow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Mackaydon

That is an amazing story in itself. I love to hear it one day.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Again

Here is picture of river from the ridge tops nearly as high as Don Jose's golden mines.

I have a healthy respect for the people in these regions because walking up and down these mountains absolutely smashes you. You can understand why nearly all native Bolivians have green teeth from chewing Coco leaves to cope with the altitude. To do anything you feel like its about 3 times harder in rarefied air especially higher up. And if you don't like the weather wait a minute.

tipuani river gold minibng bolvia.jpg

tipuani gold mine on mountain top.jpg

You can see the mine activity for gold on the ridge tops. People live and work on a thin mountain crest. Some of the adjoining peaks are connected to the village by flying foxes. Stinking hot and opressive in the valleys and freezing cold and oppressive on the ridge tops. Some are family enterprises most are small time prospectors dreaming of fortune and glory or just scraping a living.

Crow

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of gold has been recovered from the Tipuani river newtork. There is a free E-book on Google called " el Oro en Bolivia" its from 1898 I believe. It gives a great history of this area and others in Bolivia dating back to the 1500's. Includes names of families that mined as well as foreign corporations. It is still very productive area at the present.

https://play.google.com/books/reade...ver&output=reader&authuser=0&hl=en&pg=GBS.PP1

that link may take you to the book, interesting read.

G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread