Tipuani river of lost gold
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp

Thread: Tipuani river of lost gold

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    In a tax haven some where
    ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
    4304 times
    Growing old disgrace fully as possible.

Tipuani river of lost gold

Hello All

Here is yarn that has lured thousands of prospectors into a life of hard graft scrounging the bed of a mountainous river on the Eastern side of the Andes in Bolivia. Legend has it was mined by the Incas. And later the Spanish miners in harsh mountain conditions far from transportation periodically mined the site until independence. When abandoned the natives mined it themselves. It came through world of mouth in the 1850s and attracted a minor gold Rush. 2000 gold miners set out from Australia and California and vanished into the mountains of Bolivia and Peru. Their fate has never been properly explained by historians. Family historians can trace many of the miners and families to ports in Peru and Chile but then nothing no trace of them as if they had vanished off the face of the earth.

It has been assumed many sought gold in the hills in the Andes settled and intermarried with locals or died in the bleak canyons with fever or the poison dart of angry natives. Such was the fate of many who flooded down the head waters of the amazon to find fortune glory and for some death.

Around 1903 and Australian prospector who toured Bolivia claimed the gold was being inefficiently mined and gold returns was poor. In 1923 the reviews of the region was much more promising as different gold extraction methods were being used with a better rate of recovery. A Newzealand company in 1911 brought two dredges but were defeated by technical issues and poor gold returns. Such is the fickle fashion of gold mining.

However due to high altitude, remoteness and poor economic polices of the government of Bolivia it kept a lot of the big miners out. Foreign capital was fearful to invest. Small to medium family owned gold leases was operated and still operated today. With better pumps and dredges they have been more successful in dredging the deep river bed down to bedrock underneath the alluvial gravels. Some miners have even scoured the mountain ridges to discover some of the sources of the gold.

Tipuani is the river of dreams for the little guys. The dreamers of fortune and glory that still lures those daring to dream of the glitter of gold.

Crow

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tpanui bolivia.jpg 
Views:	1141 
Size:	566.9 KB 
ID:	826632
    Last edited by Crow; Jul 10, 2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: clarity

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11846 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Crow, no damned coffee for you, you trying to ruin me? Next you will be helping me get a ticket to SA.

Sheesh , I have too much to do here, stillll the vision of riding my favorite, lovely mule down one of those barely visible, ancient mt trails to fame and fortune is sapping my self restraint. I need to finish one at a time.

I have too much to do here. still, it reminds me of watching my mule sticking her head through tummy high grass to reach some well grazed grass on the other side of the fence.
    <- for me !

Don Jose de La Mancha
    Crow likes this.
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    14408 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    With the recent diversion and inspection of the Bolivian's presidential plane, allegedly at the direction of the Obama administration, based on a tip that Mr. Snowden may have been on board--and the (understandable) current disposition of the Bolivians against such an act, I would image any US effort to pursue this 'lead' today would meet with more adverse consequences than mentioned above in the OP post.
    (I would think "Gringo, go home", would be a tame response.)
    Don.....

ec
    May 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    2536 times
    There is much gold in SA waiting to be recovered/found

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    4304 times
    Hello Don Jose. What no coffee?.... The grass is always greener on the other side until you get there. I think it would take much more than that to shift you from your Tayopa no matter how much I tempt you. Just as me from my hammock on my island and cozy retirement.

Don Mackaydon indeed you may be correct. However Have you ever heard of the contents of a Bolivian sandwich? The everyday Bolivian will tell you. The Government is on one side, foreign internationals on the other and its the poor Bolivian in between. The average Bolivian does not give a rats ass about America or anyone else. Their main concern is the everyday struggle feeding their family and keeping the icy fingers of poverty away. Its only the government that blames America for an excuse for its own failings and ills in a land locked country beset by political inability. It is easy to beat that anti American drum, successive governments have done it for years.

However this is where having multi citizenship has its uses so you can operate under a flag of convenience my friend.

Crow

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    4304 times
    Hello Doc-d

Indeed for example its estimated that 50% of Peru's gold reserve still lies undiscovered.

Crow.

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    Minelab Explorer
    14408 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Crow,
    I'm well aware of the politics you refer to. Several years ago I was working my boat in Ecuador. During a period of two years 5 people claimed to be President.
    At one time, three claimed the power at the same time. To wade through that 'mine field', my boat, Captain and half the crew were registered or citizens ofHonduras.
    Don.....

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    4304 times
    Hello Don

Very Interesting.

Was you involved in the recovery of the 1654 shipwreck "Jesus Maria La Limpia de Concepcion" in the waters off Chanduy, Ecuador?

Don Jose One of your famous amigo coffees would do nicely..

Crow
    Last edited by Crow; Jul 11, 2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: clarity

Charter Member
    us

Oct 2004
    Minelab Explorer
    14408 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Crow,
    Yes, that's the one. We simply called her the 'Capitana' to keep it short.
    Don.......

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    4304 times
    Hello Mackaydon

That is an amazing story in itself. I love to hear it one day.

Crow

fm
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    4304 times
    Hello Again

Here is picture of river from the ridge tops nearly as high as Don Jose's golden mines.

I have a healthy respect for the people in these regions because walking up and down these mountains absolutely smashes you. You can understand why nearly all native Bolivians have green teeth from chewing Coco leaves to cope with the altitude. To do anything you feel like its about 3 times harder in rarefied air especially higher up. And if you don't like the weather wait a minute.

Name:	tipuani river gold minibng bolvia.jpg 
Views:	604 
Size:	574.0 KB 
ID:	827698

Name:	tipuani gold mine on mountain top.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	444.8 KB 
ID:	827699

You can see the mine activity for gold on the ridge tops. People live and work on a thin mountain crest. Some of the adjoining peaks are connected to the village by flying foxes. Stinking hot and opressive in the valleys and freezing cold and oppressive on the ridge tops. Some are family enterprises most are small time prospectors dreaming of fortune and glory or just scraping a living.

Crow

bo
    Nov 2005
    Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
    White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
    110 times
    Lots of gold has been recovered from the Tipuani river newtork. There is a free E-book on Google called " el Oro en Bolivia" its from 1898 I believe. It gives a great history of this area and others in Bolivia dating back to the 1500's. Includes names of families that mined as well as foreign corporations. It is still very productive area at the present.

https://play.google.com/books/reader...=en&pg=GBS.PP1

that link may take you to the book, interesting read.

G
    Whites V3, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL

Sponsored Links