Following my heart: torn between two worlds

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I haven't posted in awhile and thought I would let you all know what is going on. After my last gold prospecting trip into the Amazon about 8 months ago, I made the decision that chasing the color isn't going to be my future. 3 occasions now I have been basically betrayed and gold prospecting was just one of my paths, but not my true path. My main passion in life is definitely my permaculture and gardening which is a treasure in its own.

Something I never told you guys is that I had a pretty special spiritual awakening a couple years ago when I had the attempted murder on me. When I was dragged over and thrown off the cliff, I had a couple periods of free falling. The first drop was probably a good 20-25 feet, and the second was much larger, maybe in the range of 50-60 feet. It was during the second fall that I literally was saved by vines. When you suffer from a near death experience like that, your life doesn't "flash before your eyes". On the contrary, time seems to crawl. While falling, I had vines whip out and slow my descent. Their was no mistaking the event and it was a beautiful sight. I can think the mercy of the vines for my life. It took me a long time to really come to the conclusion and it was a few months later when I was fully convinced.

About 3 months after the attack I had a set of recurring dreams involving vines rapidly climbing trees. I later mentioned my spiritual encounter during the fall and the dreams to a couple friends and they both asked me if I had ever heard of Ayahuasca.Ayahuasca, a feminine plant spirit is calling me. For those who have never heard of Aya, she is a medicinal vine which grows up the canopy of trees and seeks the light. She is used frequently by the shamans of the Amazon and is one of the most powerful of all medicinal plants. For me being saved by a plant is magical. Most of my life has revolved around plants and it is my greatest passion and even doesn't compare to treasure hunting in general.

I began researching Ayahuasca and from the very beginning it felt so right. This is when I made the decision to eventually be involved in an Ayahuasca ceremony. I had the opportunity over many months to try Ayahuasca but it never felt right around here in Vilcabamba which is in the Andes mountains. I have held off until the time to give Ayahuasca a shot feels completely right. Fast forward 1.5 years and here I am. About 8 months ago I did my last prospecting trip in which for the final time i was betrayed. That betrayal should be a thread in itself. As a "golden"rule, it seems like most who are involved in gold are of greedy nature and will do almost anything for wealth. Not all people, of course, but the majority I have met just by happenstance have been extremely untrustworthy. I think the crew on Tnet are of a different breed, those more interested in the journey and the adventure itself.

The quest of the last 2.5 years has led me to this point. About 2 months ago I was given an opportunity to work at an Ayahuasca healing retreat deep in the Amazon of Peru. It is about 40kms outside of the jungle city of Iquitos and the grounds are on about 60 acres of old growth jungle.

Let me explain for the most part how Ayahuasca works: Ayahuasca (pronounced ah-yah-WAH-ska) or Yagé (ya-HEY) are native Amazonian names for the jungle vine Banisteriopsis Caapi and the medicinal tea prepared from it and other plants. (Ayahuasca derives from the Quechua aya-spirit/dead, waska-vine/rope.) Ayahuasca is used throughout the Upper Amazon to enable access to the visionary or mythological world that provides revelation, blessing, healing, and ontological solace (Dobkin de Rios 1972, Grof 1994, Andritsky 1984). People have been cured from just about every disease and health issue imaginable, but it varies person to person. It has irradicated various addictions and depression. It has historically been used for thousands of years and originated in Ecuador and Peru. This plant does one primary thing: It makes you face your fears and can be quite brutal in the process. It all works out for the best though and thousands of people have had much improved lives. It is called "the purge" as well due to it causing you to excrete all that is toxic to your system. This means throwing up, defacating, sweating, crying etc and always represents getting rid of all the negative energies in your system. Sounds horrible, but apparently you will always feel amazing and healthy after and this process if very important to the overall healing. 10s of thousands of people travel to South America and especially Peru for these healing ceremonies.

I feel that my entire life has led me to this point and my direction is now to aid in protecting the rainforest in every way that I can. If you have never experienced the old growth rain forest, it is magical and should be experienced. The entire system is alive with vibrant energy and to me is impossible to really put into words. I can see myself devoting the rest of my life in doing all that I can in protecting this ecosystem. It might sound a bit cheesy, but everything is falling into place perfectly and I feel called to this region of the world. In all honesty, spending time with Ayahuasca is a huge adventure in its own way and could be a powerful tool to so many people. I will keep you guys updated on how my first set of ceremonies go and what I have learned. I do require some healing after my attack, so this is wonderful.

For those who were looking forward to joining me on some of my adventures, I am sorry for wasting your time. If you having a love for the outdoors, gardening and permaculture, you could potentially join me in the deep Amazon for a different kind of adventure. I do believe they hope to do a larger volunteer arrangement in the future and there is a possibility of others volunteering. This area is also in the heart of so many gold legends and who knows in which direction I will go in the future. All I know is that I am going to be a veteran of jungle survival and medicine by the time I leave and this will greatly benefit me down the road. Cheers!

PS: For those adventuring in South America and especially in the Amazon, look into two powerful natural medicines called Sangre de Drago(dragon's blood) and Una de Gato(cat's claw). If you take the combination on a regular basis, you will rarely get sick. Sangre is the sap of a tree and is used both topically and internally and Gato is the bark of a vine and is consumed as a tea. I use both on a regular basis and haven't been sick for almost a year and are powerful medicines to have with you at all times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alaskan Adventurer

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Secret. Yes. Facing ones fears can be quite the undertaking. It is about facing and overcoming your pre-progammed ego and becoming a better person for it.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ummmmm:hello:...I studied native American religions????

yea...that's my story....

many native people are caught between two worlds...dine' on the rez talk about shifting gears to come into flagstaff for shopping...
two languages, to separate civilizations...

it is an issue that only the individual can face...

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Alaskan Adventurer.

So the Emerald Forrest got to you to? I full understand this connection

Treasure seekers never walk in a world of pious company my friend. However it one of the hardest things is find the right business partners my friends as they are very hard to come by. Greed can do terrible things to the most noblest of men my friend.

Many year ago I went through a similar process with what they called at the time El Yage. From me it purged a lifetime demons of past and forced me to look deep inside of my own soul. One thing I have learned all of us are seekers on a personal journey through life. Some times what we think we are we are not. And what we think we are not, we are.

May your next journey be interesting and enlightening as your last one.

Crow

OP
OP
Alaskan Adventurer

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, glad to hear we are brothers in so many ways. Thanks to everyone for being such amazing people and for our crazy, shared passion of living on the edge.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
One has to truly recognize who he is before he can determine where he is going . Good luck on the path you have chosen and grant you the wisdom to choose the next fork in the path wisely .

Paes

Tenderfoot
Nov 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
knowing oneself is the key to ultimate truth. Following your heart is courageous cause what you have opted is not very common. It is like finding peace . You could try out vipassana if you really want to know yourself.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts ..."

BugHunter

Nov 7, 2012
So Cal, E of LA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the feeling that an old forest can inspire.

I first learned about ayahuaska after reading the book of Marty Crump "In Search of the Golden Frog". She was a herpetologist and spent quite the long time in Ecuador. One day, she was offered to try it. Well, her description of what followed was quite colorful. I also visited Ecuador a few times, and saw that vine. Never tried it though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions