Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
The Following story is in part a bit of a tease as treasure has already been found at the site in 1904. However a legitimate question still stands. Is there more Inca treasure to be found at Chayaltaya Boliva?

31769449.jpg

First reports of the discovery leaked out of Bolivia in mid 1904 of a massive find of Inca treasure valued in the then days gold value of prices 16000000 - 18000000 depending on which newspaper reported the story. However Even with newspapers story always get rather garbled in re translation across languages and distances.

Here is one newspaper San Fransisco call March 21 1904 version gives the correct name Chayaltaya and it was discovered by accident driving a stake into the ground? By British and American mining Engineers.

Los Angeles Herald, Volume XXXI, Number 152, 28 February 1904 — TREASURE OF THE INCAS IS EOUNO W.jpg

Los Angeles Herald, Volume XXXI, Number 152, 28 February 1904 — TREASURE OF THE INCAS IS EOUNO W.jpg

Another newspaper Sydney morning herald March 23 1904 claimed The Location of the discovery was called Chayanta and was made by British and American mining Engineers

The Sydney Morning Herald  Wednesday 23 March 1904, page 9 iNCA TREASURE.jpg

Here is a classic example why one must get every possible version to glean the truth for newspapers as over zealous journalist can over exaggerate or omit important information. Plus the ability to cross reference details of the story. The morning Bulletin march 29th 1904 There was dispute between the finders and the Bolivian Government took charge. No Surprises there.

Morning Bulletin  Friday 29 April 1904, page 5 INCA TREASURE.jpg

The stories conclude that the treasure was from the time of Atahualpa and was buried there at the time of his execution by Pizarro. In time the excitement of the amazing discovery was forgotten and for a time the mountain area where this treasure found was used as Bolivia's only ski resort until global warming melted the last if glacier and to today the summit of Chayaltaya is rather run down and neglected. However along the flanks of the mountain there are several ruined Inca villages that once must of been engaged in mining as there is some very ancient mine working that may not be of Spanish origin.

Today these villages are rather abandoned and neglected. One has Few inhabitants and there is at least 3 others that lie totally abandoned. I very much doubt much metal detecting has been done at all around these lost Inca villages. When I spent time there years ago the only company we had was wild Lamas. Going by past history it is not impossible to speculate that there may be the possability of another treasure cache nearby?

28187511.jpg

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the thing Crow, still much, much more to uncover.......

And to think that some archaeologists, historians and other so-called 'experts' commented that, Bolivia had traditionally never held much importance in the annals of Inca lore and legend.

Fascinating stuff.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Interested Party in UK

Most of Bolivia was part of a much of a much older civilization that had been in decline for centuries and disrupted by Civil war. In the 28 years reign of Huayna Capac united and absorbed their culture into Inca empire as many gods and goddess was adopted as deities by the Inca basically a tribal kingdom from Around Cuzco. Also the nobles from the old civilization became vassals and their daughters intermarried with Inca nobles thus cementing a stabilizing force in the region. Thus the people of Bolivia enjoyed the fruits of Incas Empire. That system of subjugation was used in various degrees of success in several regions of the empire. Non worked so spectacularly as the region around Bolivia.

Even at the time of the last emperor killed by Pizarro. The region was still and loyal and culturally connected to Cuzco. Other region especially the coastal regions and Northern parts of the empire wasn't so Loyal.

Here is picture of these abandoned villages. To me each one of them tells a story.

RUINED INCA VILLAGES LA PAZ AREA 1 X.jpg

RUINED INCA VILLAGES LAP PAZ AREA 2 X.jpg

RUINED INCA VILLAGES LA PAZ AREA 3 X.jpg

RUINED INCA VILLAGES LA PAZ AREA 4 X.jpg

I doubt you find much data on these Inca villages as they not as dramatic as the larger Inca cities in around Cuzco. However indeed they were still a functioning part of the empire. None of stone was of high Inca quality however there was definatly Inca engineering aspects to some of the Villages. In one village a stone channel was cut to pool clearly a venerated spring to some long lost deity. These settlement was aprt of an Inca mining Area. La Paz not far away was a latter Spanish gold mining settlement. So Gold production was historically important to the region and to the Incas. If not in western values but as cultural; religious communal commodity. In the hills behind these villages is peppered with small caves hand dug and small pits used in extraction of ore in similar Inca fashion as seen in other parts of the Inca empire.

Crow

Attachments

• RUINED INCA VILLAGES LA PAZ AREA 3.jpg
    RUINED INCA VILLAGES LA PAZ AREA 3.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 658
  • RUINED INCA VILLAGES LA PAZ AREA 4.jpg
    RUINED INCA VILLAGES LA PAZ AREA 4.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Crow

Very true - each picture really has got so much information and details for the eye that is searching and knows what it is looking for.

What is more, is that, like you say, focus was/is always on more 'established' Inca sites/places such as Cuzco, Macchu Picchu etc., but it is these out of the way places that should ignite the interest. After the fall of Cuzco to the Spanish, those that did not become their allies or flee into the northern reaches, many also went 'home' to their original villages and towns to try and get away from the Spanish and took what was most desired from the invaders......

As I am sure you well know, the accepted site for the origins of the Incas, is on Lake Titicaca on the Bolivian side, and there was a very rich temple that adorned the site, but the valuables were mysteriously taken away before the conquistadors could get their hands on them....

IPUK

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello IPIU

Yes indeed I have had the privilage of visting that site also Tiahuanaco which is much much older than Inca also known as Puma Punku. Some scholars believe it was the parent civilization before the Incas and several displaced tribes migrated north and created Cuzco. When Cuzco city state of the Incas became strong they returned to the mother land which has been in a state of kaos. The Aymara people there today have no concept of origins of the site in question. There has been some claims the site is several thousand years old. Even when the Incas took control of the region they understood the significance of the site by incorporating its deities into their empire and venerating them. There must of been some culture exchange or handed down knowlege as in some parts of the site keyways were cut into the rock then filled in with molten copper acted as pins to hold slabs of stone together. This bit of amazing technology can be found at high Inca sites around Cuzco.

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello IPIU

Yes indeed I have had the privilage of visting that site also Tiahuanaco which is much much older than Inca also known as Puma Punku. Some scholars believe it was the parent civilization before the Incas and several displaced tribes migrated north and created Cuzco. When Cuzco city state of the Incas became strong they returned to the mother land which has been in a state of kaos. The Aymara people there today have no concept of origins of the site in question. There has been some claims the site is several thousand years old. Even when the Incas took control of the region they understood the significance of the site by incorporating its deities into their empire and venerating them. There must of been some culture exchange or handed down knowlege as in some parts of the site keyways were cut into the rock then filled in with molten copper acted as pins to hold slabs of stone together. This bit of amazing technology can be found at high Inca sites around Cuzco.

Crow

Must have been a really special time to visit such wonderful places. I have no doubt that the Aymara were very closely linked to the Incas in times gone past. The Incas were so good at incorporating the valuable practices of others, that when the remanents of the nobility fled with Manco Inca from Cuzco to establish Vilcabamba in the jungle areas of the eastern Andes, when the Spanish finally caught up with them, they discovered that the hastily built buildings had designs similar to Spanish tiles which were then being used in Cuzco.

zippygirl

Nov 5, 2012
Melk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Tropi - this is your Austrian ole broad AKA kezy.
LTNS
SOOOO glad to see you alive and kicking (at least in here). Unfortunately I've lost you on my messenger list. It would be great to talk to you real time (SKYPE ?)
Don't overdo with coffee though !
Luvs ya lots
kezy/zippygirl

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sigh hi luv, our long overdue waltz in Vienna ???? Will dig out my ole USAF Formal uniform complete with red cape and sabre.

As a matter of fact I was looking at our picrure from just after I had had the simultaneous operations, I was still about 108 lbs and just disappeared in your hug and my Emperor's robe (star wars). back to mi manly 150 again, even put on some muscle, but no fat.

Ya see it helps to hoist those heavy coffee cups daily.

Will try to be on both messengers daily about 9 - 10:00 am.

Our Shoily also posts in here.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don Jose Ya don us tropical tramps proud. but go easy on OROS Sock Coffee. Ya can't keep up all night trying to work out Quipu as well as look for those old mine workings.

Crow

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Crow

For your as always interesting stories. It seems a real waste you propping up some bar in Tahiti full of rum when you could be chatting to us.

Amy

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duh Corp, frustrated luv of my life, my data must be far behind,but I understood that he has been long gone from Tahiti and is stalking the all girl crew on another tropical Island ??

Don Jose de La Mancha (el jealous one ). :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Don Jose

I cannot complain I have money in bank each week from them...

Its hard to know where the unholy trio is even when you work for them. You never know where they are or even exactly who they are? And just when you think you got them figured bang they are gone. Right now I am hearing rumors of gold being removed and no one knows who where and when. And trio have vanished gone to ground. If you hear anything please PM me.

Amy

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duh Corp, frustrated luv of my life, my data must be far behind,but I understood that he has been long gone from Tahiti and is stalking the all girl crew on another tropical Island ??

Don Jose de La Mancha (el jealous one ). :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Glad to see you back Joseph.

Chacaltaya and the entire mountain range near La Paz is well known for gold, so there is no surprise to speak of treasures in that area. There is even record of a 76 oz nugget being found.

G

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have not explored that area(Chacaltaya)... yet
Focused in other parts of the country at this time, after Jesuit treasure.

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I have not been there but plan on it with the main focus being prospecting with a MD in that mountain range. All the river basins starting in that mountain range have gold.

Sacambaya is another story and location. No plan to go any time soon.

I chase after Spanish era treasure, do not waste my time with Inca sites. They buried things deeper than I am willing to dig.

G

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread