What the hell is this in Quito Ecuador?

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly the loss of small family farms here have also become extinct……the few that make it often have somebody working full time elsewhere to support the farm………I watched the once thriving farms here in the late 1960's and 1970's being killed off by ever increasing regulations, taxes, and a manipulated market where they loose money……very sad………
In SA there are still many smaller farms which seem to do well according to local standards……..

As for hunting, I now only terminate what needs terminating…….the hogs have not reached NY in big numbers yet, although that is only a question of time, and not much time……..and given their history, they will need terminating.

Culinary, there is definitely opportunity in Ecuador………they have a big and growing tourist trade and much opportunity there……..
I am very much looking forward to my return soon…….it has been nice to visit friends and family, but time to go back…...

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Amigos, I wonder just what else we may all have in common? Besides being a treasure legend hunter, I too have harvested my share of wild hogs. My avatar was cropped out of a newspaper article where my Plotts had won the 1996 World Champion Wild Hog Team Dog Baying in Sabinal, Texas. Plotts are the most aggressive of the hound breeds, and very popular amongst bear hunters. Some have been disqualified for catching in bear baying contests.

I also still remember the day that I lowered my rifle after having a far away coyote in my sights. I didn't need to take a life to prove that I could make the shot, I just knew I could make it.

As for what that structure is, I imagined it would be for either tracking celestial objects as the sun, or worshiping it in some way. After seeing the sun on top of the archway, it seems to be the case, but how?

Homar

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to get off-topic and deter from the current stream of conversations but maybe the Pot was for making one hell of a batch of good ole Home Brew.:occasion14::laughing7:

Frank

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Coazon de oro.

Wow! world champ! Well done I have not heard of that breed of dog. Sure love to see a picture of what they look like?

We had Rhodesian ridge backs to hunt with many years ago on the farm. They were loyal well trained dogs and loved to hunt.

However idiots in towns and cities would buy them use them as guard dogs in small yards. The poor dogs would become savage because hardly no interaction with humans from being chained up all the time or left in a small yard. End result many children climbing over the fence for a stray ball has been savaged to death. Also irresponsible owners with poor fencing allowed the dogs to get out and killed an elderly woman.. Thanks to these irresponsible idiots the breed is on the dangerous dog list. As well as the American Pitbull.

These dogs are great for rural areas as these dog are born to hunt and run not to be house bound in urban areas Geez have not had a dog for years now. Travel too much.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to get off-topic and deter from the current stream of conversations but maybe the Pot was for making one hell of a batch of good ole Home Brew.:occasion14::laughing7:

Frank

Hello Frank yeah must been some home brew perhaps out of maize. Good idea.

Crow

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Crow,

I don't have any pictures in my computer, but here is a link for you:

Outdoor Plott Hounds

They come in black, brown brindle, and rarely with a saddle. My brother tried many breeds, and crossbreeds, in all he would find a few good ones. He once ran Airedale Terriers from his "Death Row Kennels", since it gets pretty hot here, he bought a clipper for his hairy dogs. On his lead dog "Pelos" he left a Mohawk :laughing7:. Many amature hunters encourage their dogs when they hear them barking in a hunt without knowing what the heck they are barking at. They turn out having a kennel full of trash dogs, and then they blame the breed.???

The Plott hound's roots come from Germany. John Von Plott brought some dogs that were bred for hunting hogs, and since there were no wild hogs in the U.S. back then, they were used for coon, and bear, then infused with Catahoula blood I believe. They have the nose to strike from the vehicle, the speed to catch up, the agressiveness to stop their prey, and the bawl mouth that you can hear, and find anywhere.

Homar

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Coazon de oro. No thank you.:thumbsup:

I have never heard of them before. So I learned some thing today and its always a good day when ya learn some thing new.

Crow

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Corazon, A friend of mine up north uses Plott's for hunting mountain lions. They're a heck of a dog when you use them for what they're made to do.

Crow, I thought about gettin' a Rhodesian ridgeback when I moved to Texas but I'd never had any experience with them so I ended up with two German Shepherd's. They're a little thick haired for this part of the world but they'll do whatever I ask of them and they get the job done.
Tell your friend he has a beautiful garden and I'm green with envy.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You know wouldn't it be ironic that this strange structure was nothing more than some fancy latrine?

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Ivan That is a very good theory also. Maybe the Early Spanish was into smoking meat and the structure was smoke house?

Crow

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Water use seeming nearest. during use by Spanish.
Here's a little Plott info. Many hunters that ran packs liked a little plott or a plott in it for mix. From raccoon on up though for hogs and bear. With free range once the accepted method of raising hogs in Carolinias and other states it caused a use for a bay dog like the plott( and many others) and a catch dog or two often bull dog blooded to hold a hog when a hog got to not responding to people or decided they were to be avoided.
5F8E01B1DD664E099124D59BB8D1690A.jpg
5F8E01B1DD664E099124D59BB8D1690A.jpg

http://books.google.com/books?id=xb...tt hound for cold trailing strike dog&f=false

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a meat smoking house for many would make sense since salting and smoking meats were the only ways to "preserve meat" for any length of time back then --folks still love jerky ...

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Another guess it is an early beehive coke oven for making coking coal for early Iron making.

03.JPG

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure……we view things through the eyes of our experience…….there is so much we have not been told and or have not learned of the ancient civilizations……..
If it were used as any type of oven, you would expect to find the roof caked with carbon deposit as well as ash and whatever product they intended to make…..
There are no reports of this that I recall……

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc, as I remember they did not find any carbon / soot from the original builders of the Major Pyramids, only of those that entered later with tortches,

Soot is impossible to remove from that type of surface..Nor are there shown any vents, which would not be necessary for coke. charcoal type please..

Back to the Quipu's

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like part of the structure (the boiler) used as a ritual sauna for muckety mucks.
The hilltop location suggests religion, as does the sun symbol, which, btw, also resembles the Jesuit icon.
Which it may be, if dating has proven it to be post conquest. Could also be someting only partly completed at the time the Spanish took over,
and never actually used, which could explain the lack of soot as well as the absence of the adjoining steam room.
The Aztec built similar steam houses.

Aztec sauna.png

Sauna 2.png

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread