Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
There is in Quito a strange site that still baffles people to this day? Even the name and meaning is baffling as it is known by many names ? La olla Del Panceo or to some meaning Pot of Bagal? How odd Pot of Bagel no ya don,t smoke it and ya can't eat it?:laughing7:

It is a strange Beehive like structure in Ecuador believed to be of Inca construction.

La Olla del Panecillo.jpg

Bagel knoll, with three thousand meters above sea level, is a reference to the Quito because it marks the division between the south and the center of the city and still maintains the legacy of the Inca period because there is the pot of bagel, a sort of tank round eight feet deep that was used to irrigate crops.
Years later, during the Spanish domination, the place served to collect rain water for watering the gardens of Spanish mansion Bellavista and then was used as a defensive site of colonial troops during the libertarian Battle of Pichincha on May 24 1822.

THEQUEST-El-Panecillo.jpg

However some depute its function some believe it is a solar observatory? Dr David Zink many years ago believed the site has important solar Alignments for the Inca Culture??? Other believed it was once a depository of a fabulous treasure? Others still think its a gate way to a mysterious treasure???

Whatever the reason for its existence it is a mighty strange structure every for the Inca period???

El-Panecillo-holla.jpg

So what do ya think it is????

Cheers Crow EL sticky beak:laughing7:

O

Old Silver

I don't know what it is, but my opinion would be an ancient structure, later used by the Incas for irrigation or whatever. It's original purpose may have had it's roots in a higher technology, much like the great pyramid, which was also later used for other, more primitive purposes.

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
I don't have a clue so you've got my two pair beat. Though my initial thought is that if this structure was being used to collect rain water for irrigation the opening at the top would be larger like a cistern. Looks more like a furnace to me. Just my $.02

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
From Wiki and this source:
(El Panecillo, Quito 100 Insider Tips, Photos and Reviews.).
"
Just below the feet of the Virgin is another sight, the so-called Olla del Panecillo. This large cistern is traditionally said to be of Inca origin, but recent tests have dated it to after the Spanish conquest.".
Don....

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tales never cease from the black birds beak……..and from my adopted country no less.
Without a water source, a cistern seems unlikely…..sort of a poor shape to collect rain……
Furnace? Maybe but you should have an opening at the base……I did not see one…..
So that leads us to the wise birds thought above? Certainly the Inca were well aware of the stars and movements……ritual?
Not sure, perhaps time will tell.

On an unrelated thought……in centuries to come, what will those living think about the sh*t called art today? Will they think us braindead, clueless?
Just a thought.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going with gigantic sauna for the muckety mucks of the day to kick back and chew coca leaves with the boys and bellyache about the wives. Just a guess.

Get's my vote! Especially if their culture allowed multiple wives. Just imagine an Incan Saturday night with your 200 wives!...Okay ladies, how many have a headache?, 75 wives raise their hands. How many are too tired? Another 75 raise their hands. How many out of business for the week? 49 more raise their hands. That leaves only one wife and she's mad because of something you said...Guess it's gonna' be meetin' the boys at the ol' cistern!

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is an old 19th century painting of the hill this alleged cistern is on.

Quito_-_Rafael_Salas_(siglo_XIX).jpg

There has been considerable debate about the origins of site in academia circles indeed. Normally I would agree it with the establishment However That said I cannot ignore other factors that the archeology department of Ecuador felt convenient leave out. I think it is a little too simplistic to say the site is of one culture or another.

To me I believe the site was Inca perhaps even Pre Inca? The Inca had some Later building influence and so did the Spanish later changing the original function of the site. Another factor to take in consideration is the site was and still disturbed by modern buildings of the catholic church with large statue of the virgin on the site. Just as many Christian places in Europe had once been an old pagan sites the Church effectively incorporated the site into their own history.

The lovely picture of the hill today show the power of the Catholic churches presence at the site, with the statue of the Virgin towering over the old Inca Culture has a very predominate presence seen from all around Quito.

16994377.jpg

If the site was totally believed Spanish I have some old black and white photographs that may question that. I have have to scan them.

Cheers Crow

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
landing base for ufo's

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Date with a hungry Jaguar for certain offences? Would be messy after a while.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is another view on the inside the structure

la-olla-de-panecillo.jpg

One of problems we have a heavily modified structure over a long period of time. Today is now one of the numerous tourist attractions on the hill.

Still trying to get a picture of the central chamber. Dr David zinc conjectured that it was solar observatory and for observation of the sun for equinox observations of the sun? However his area of specialization of research is on is of archeoastromony. There is fair argument that Incas never built this Type of vaulting which is more evidence from Spanish construction methods...

However at the entrance to the tunnel to go into the structure is a carving of the sun in an Inca fashion? A modern addition of a bit of Ironic humor made by the native stonemason?

Crow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is some earlier pictures black and white late 60's early 1970's ?

Inside above the arched entryway into the chamber of the tunnel you will see the Inca sun symbol on the inside of this alleged cistern??? If it is a cistern it must of been a pretty elaborate one, just for storing water?

DSCN0497.jpg

Crow

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm going with gigantic sauna for the muckety mucks of the day to kick back and chew coca leaves with the boys and bellyache about the wives. Just a guess.

#1 could be a grain bin #2 could be a water bin #3 or a solar spot. Back in the day those people we supersticious as was most nations. rwd mo

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Any idea which way the sun symbol is facing? I'm still having a hard time believing that this structure is a cistern. Nearly all of the beehive shaped structures I've seen or read about have been used for burning something, is the charcoal furnaces in modern Brasilia. Though this structure is much larger and more elaborate.
A few questions that keep nagging at me. Has evidence of fire been found inside the dome? If this thing was used for making some sort of burnt offering there should be residue.
What's the degree of slope in the tunnels leading from the dome? If it's for irrigation the tunnels have to be sloped away so water can flow from it.
If used for irrigation how was the flow controlled? Obviously the water wouldn't just come in through the top then flow straight out as this would serve no useful purpose.
I'm baffled????

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Any idea which way the sun symbol is facing? I'm still having a hard time believing that this structure is a cistern. Nearly all of the beehive shaped structures I've seen or read about have been used for burning something, is the charcoal furnaces in modern Brasilia. Though this structure is much larger and more elaborate.
A few questions that keep nagging at me. Has evidence of fire been found inside the dome? If this thing was used for making some sort of burnt offering there should be residue.
What's the degree of slope in the tunnels leading from the dome? If it's for irrigation the tunnels have to be sloped away so water can flow from it.
If used for irrigation how was the flow controlled? Obviously the water wouldn't just come in through the top then flow straight out as this would serve no useful purpose.
I'm baffled????

Hello Culinary caveman it is a mystery indeed many here have come up with some good interesting ideas on its original usage. I do not know if there was evidence of burning inside the dome??/ The one thing I cannot understand if it was all a Spanish cistern why go such elaborate lengths when they could of just carved one into the solid rock rather than build one out of cut stone?

One thought crossed my mind Perhaps it was a secret meeting place for practitioners of the old Inca Sun Cult out of the eyes of the Church and most of inquisition.

The following picture was taken by Doctor David Zink showing the summer solstice of the sun shining into the inside wall of the dome shaped chamber.

DSCN0497b.jpg

Crow

Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could of simply been a tool. A tool to harness the sun at it`s height , with a reflector set inside the chamber , and perhaps the tunnel is the key to understanding it`s purpose.
Which way is the tunnel facing , and what would the light shine upon? an iconic place of worship , an enterance to perhaps a cave/cavern?
For want of an example , best i can come up with is indiana jones when he is in the tomb in Eygpt, and using Ra
Incidentally , the photo of the enterance , did they capture a blurry image of a ghost? ???

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Crow, I tend to lean in the same direction you are. I believe it was more likely pre-spanish in origin and likely used as a place of worship. To my little pea pickin' brain it's the only way the sun symbol fits in. If it were a big fancy water tank why not have the symbol for water over the door?

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps it may be something like the pyramids, energy…….does it exist near Ley lines?

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost feel sorry for the poor old black bird having to peck away, one key at a time…….until he writes of his Sweedish masseuse meeting his every desire……

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread