Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Don Jose

Hardluck is just the same as always all be it a little older like all of us. Caught up with quite a few people but alas Kanacki could not make it. But will be visiting Kanacki next week anyway. The trio will catch up again in March next year for Amy's Wedding.

Now getting back to this yarn about John Fenn. For me it is away interesting to get in the mind of these people and understand who they were? The more you research these people the more you understand them and their actions. In some respects you begin to have some affinity with them even when they lived in a different era and time.

John Fenn was just one such man.

JOHN FENN 1884 BRITISH MILITARY RECORD s.jpg

John Fenn spent 12 years in the British Army in the Dragoons of the Royal artillery and served in the Sudan.

When one leaves your home to far off lands it becomes a drug that many cannot understand. Even so he tried the normal live of wife family kids and a job as a Merchant. Some where the fires of adventurer was smoldering my friends..And Peru South America was the place to quench his fire. Many hear can perhaps relate to this restlessness.

So ya see from this vague old newspaper story we are digging into the past of rather obscure man that had an amazing adventure in South America.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course it will be always enticing to what was recovered from that region and what was left......

59947912.jpg

Did John Fenn make a fortune from his venture????

The question for me is rather still undecided.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Researching the people in these stories has turned their stories into a treasure of there own.

Hello CC yes indeed I could not agree more. Researching these stories can take you on an amazing journey. Ya never know where ya end up. I have more information on John Fenn but cannot post more at this stage as I am away from my notes.

One of the projects I am involved with is moving forward and this old bird has to fly with it.

Nature of the beast I am afraid.

Cheers Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Crow, keep us posted on your flight……..
While it is enjoyable to research and read of the stories and legends, there is also a time for boots on the ground……..happy to hear you are moving with one of your projects…..
I hope soon to return to my adopted home to resume exploration……
Vaya con Dios

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A little bit of detective work can go a long way.... We can confirm his trip to south America.

BRITISH INCOMING PASSENGERS ARRIVAL RECORDS 1928 JOHN FENN SMALL.jpg

But there is much more to discover....

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Rich hill76

John Fenn made several trips to south America, predominantly Peru. As he was an engineer by occupation although he some times list himself as an explorer. Callao was one of few exit points in South America he traveled from by ship back to England.

Crow

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Anything to share on the "Library Tunnels" ? :notworthy:

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Anything to share on the "Library Tunnels" ? :notworthy:

I gather you mean Tayos caves and the alleged gold library? I was one of the last people who spoke to Stan hall. He was a true believer in the story. A nice guy who always had the time to speak to anyone even when he was very sick. His daughter continues the research however she spends more times in Scotland these days.

Crow

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, that was one, and an interesting one it is, but I have also heard of a strong box filled with Jesuit maps and it was buried in the area of the Virgin of Guadalupe Mine ?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that was one, and an interesting one it is, but I have also heard of a strong box filled with Jesuit maps and it was buried in the area of the Virgin of Guadalupe Mine ?

Simon1,

I think you may be confusing this story with the story about the Jesuit Mission at Tumacacori (in Arizona South of Tucson). That story has the Jesuits burying a huge cache of wealth in the mountains behind the mission. One of the parts of the Tumacacori Treasure was a copper box filled with papers. It is supposed to be in a mine named "Virgin de Guadalupe", where they blasted the cliff above the shaft to hide it. I firmly believe that the basic premise of the story is true, but Tumacacori Mountain is COMPLETELY nonmineralized. If there is a shaft in that mountain, it was just dug to hide treasure. There are no mines on Tumacacori Mt.

Mike

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Simon1,

I think you may be confusing this story with the story about the Jesuit Mission at Tumacacori (in Arizona South of Tucson). That story has the Jesuits burying a huge cache of wealth in the mountains behind the mission. One of the parts of the Tumacacori Treasure was a copper box filled with papers. It is supposed to be in a mine named "Virgin de Guadalupe", where they blasted the cliff above the shaft to hide it. I firmly believe that the basic premise of the story is true, but Tumacacori Mountain is COMPLETELY nonmineralized. If there is a shaft in that mountain, it was just dug to hide treasure. There are no mines on Tumacacori Mt.

Mike

Right you are Mike, I did confuse it with something else. Thanks for correcting it. :notworthy:
In my defense, it was probably that aroma of someone next door brewing "sock" coffee. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Right you are Mike, I did confuse it with something else. Thanks for correcting it. :notworthy:
In my defense, it was probably that aroma of someone next door brewing "sock" coffee. :dontknow:

As disturbing as it sound I have to agree with it.:laughing7:

Crow

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course it will be always enticing to what was recovered from that region and what was left......

View attachment 1036924

Did John Fenn make a fortune from his venture????

The question for me is rather still undecided.

Crow
===================================================
Good morning my "friends" ,,
Plenty of coffee please this morning. And what a morning.
The stars and planets were so bright and the cool air made that view the clearest I have seen in weeks.
And as the sun rises I can see it will be a very fine day indeed. With ample sun and bright blue skies.

Anyway, Back to "John Fenn". I think I would investigate next into whether he made any "substantial" purchases during those years he was "exploring" Peru.
Like an estate or a sudden change in "affluence" or appearance. Maybe he sent his children to a "prestigious" university.
Many ways "sudden" unexpected "wealth" can be spent, or NOT spent. (wink)
THIS is the kind of "hunt" I like. Not the big , flashy ones.
Minimal or no knowledge known to the general public. (That way,,even if you did find it, you could even possibly carry on as "normal".)
Was he a member of the "Explorers Club" or any other organization like that?
His "associates" would be important to look at too I feel.
So many questions arise now.
And THAT is where you CROW,,,my internet "friend" have excelled.
You seem to have acquired quite the "knack" [see what I did there?] ;) for knowing just where to look for these type of records.
And having that ability is key to solving any of these kind of tales.

Myself, even though I THINK I have what it takes to run with a search like this, my time available for this work is severely limited.
Since my parents are aging rapidly and both are losing their physical and mental capabilities, I moved them from their home to a place on my property where I am there when they need help.
They were there for me, so I WILL be there for them.
BUT,,, in due time I will have both the time AND the resources to devote to this kind of "work". Patience I have an affinity for.
That was a "learned" trait, and it has served well in my life.

So with all that said I will anxiously wait, read, think and above all WATCH how this is done.
This is actually a "lesson" as I see it. On the steps, albeit the most basic steps on how to take a treasure "story" from just that.
A story to possibly finding a place in Peru where one man found a "treasure".
Whether or not YOU find it (his treasure) is up to just how far you delve into this mans entire life.

WELL DONE :coffee2:

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
===================================================
Good morning my "friends" ,,
Plenty of coffee please this morning. And what a morning.
The stars and planets were so bright and the cool air made that view the clearest I have seen in weeks.
And as the sun rises I can see it will be a very fine day indeed. With ample sun and bright blue skies.

Anyway, Back to "John Fenn". I think I would investigate next into whether he made any "substantial" purchases during those years he was "exploring" Peru.
Like an estate or a sudden change in "affluence" or appearance. Maybe he sent his children to a "prestigious" university.
Many ways "sudden" unexpected "wealth" can be spent, or NOT spent. (wink)
THIS is the kind of "hunt" I like. Not the big , flashy ones.
Minimal or no knowledge known to the general public. (That way,,even if you did find it, you could even possibly carry on as "normal".)
Was he a member of the "Explorers Club" or any other organization like that?
His "associates" would be important to look at too I feel.
So many questions arise now.
And THAT is where you CROW,,,my internet "friend" have excelled.
You seem to have acquired quite the "knack" [see what I did there?] ;) for knowing just where to look for these type of records.
And having that ability is key to solving any of these kind of tales.

Myself, even though I THINK I have what it takes to run with a search like this, my time available for this work is severely limited.
Since my parents are aging rapidly and both are losing their physical and mental capabilities, I moved them from their home to a place on my property where I am there when they need help.
They were there for me, so I WILL be there for them.
BUT,,, in due time I will have both the time AND the resources to devote to this kind of "work". Patience I have an affinity for.
That was a "learned" trait, and it has served well in my life.

So with all that said I will anxiously wait, read, think and above all WATCH how this is done.
This is actually a "lesson" as I see it. On the steps, albeit the most basic steps on how to take a treasure "story" from just that.
A story to possibly finding a place in Peru where one man found a "treasure".
Whether or not YOU find it (his treasure) is up to just how far you delve into this mans entire life.

WELL DONE :coffee2:

Hello Hitndahed thanks for the compliment. However you my friend are in the perfect potion to research into these legends. If you have time of course. It this battered old crow with missing feather half blind with a gammy leg can do it anyone can.

The knack my friend is what your staring into. many things can be found these day via archive and institutions on line. Even old newspapers. just a little patience, determination and of course time.

The world is your oyster to pluck and plunder at liberty.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread