Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah tricked ya IPIU

The city ya thought of is in the North of Peru this one is Inca and was never really lost in fact its location was known for over 300 years people just forgot about it.

Its strange that we use the term lost Cities is it not? Do they wander off and get lost? :laughing7:

Perhaps we should say forgotten cities. One such is the city of Choquequirao which strange enough in the local twang "The Cradle of Gold" Its is my friends everything you imagine a lost city to be.

The Incan ceremonial and administration site and fortress of Choquequirao, is over 3000 m above sea level, was built in the mid-1400s and became the focal point of Inca resistance to the Spanish Conquest from 1536 to 1572. Not built for easy access, the site today is reached in two days of disciplined march. And that is saying it lightly:laughing7: Its urban design follows the symbolic patterns of the imperial capital, with ritual places, mansions for administrators and houses for artisans, warehouses, large dormitories, and at least 180 farming terraces that belonged to the Inca or the local people.

The Inca road to get there every bit as amazing as the Inca trail and perhaps even more so.

5198356.jpg

The approach to this city would do even Indiana Jones proud. You can see the Inca trail cut into the mountain in the picture below.

21648614.jpg

You can even still see living traces of the Inca empire as some of local peoples still live the way of the Inca unperturbed by the outside world. Visiting them as if ya stepped out of the 21st century and gone through a magic portal into the 14th century.

5198339.jpg

You follow the Inca road to lower section of the city. Entry is by crossing a series of water falls.

21648838.jpg

This City in my book is a worthy rival to much more famous Machu Picchu.

21648780.jpg

Just when ya though ya got there ya look up and realize ya got to climb up ...Aw F.....

15411718.jpg

one of the Amazing things in this Inca City is the creativity used in building the terraces of creating stone Llamas.

21648769.jpg

If these walls could talk what would they tells us? For one the stone work is different lacking the fine fitted blocks found in Machu Picchu and Cusco.

3366183.jpg

However the styles of Builds are of the classic Inca construction. This is the mid level central plaza.

15412128.jpg

The building here is believed to be the finest surviving example of an Inca Palace.

108813586.jpg

The central plaza was the main administrative and religious area of the city.

102049720.jpg

But wait there's more Just when Ya think ya there ya have climb higher...

67831913.jpg

The site for me is awesome. Ya do not get the hordes of lollipop tourists as ya got to rough it a little to get there. No coach loads of unappreciative tourists with their rubbish. Just you and ya worn out feet blown away on how much this site is off the public radar. Just you and the clouds...

3366204.jpg

Yep It is for me no more worthy rival to Machu Picchu. To visit this site ya do just visit ya got to earn it by two days of hard traveling just like the Incas did on foot.

5198337.jpg

The thing that amazes me, archeologists say that of 20% of the site has been excavated.. The size of the site could rival Machu Picchu but actually exceed it.

Its is one of the reasons why I love Peru. But ya know what?

I know of another 10 cities like this.....

Crow

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our wise old bird taunting us again with bits and pieces……
Awesome post by El Crow…….the 2 day hike would definitely seem to limit visiting……..

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Doc its all part of the journey of mind and body....

And when ya do it ya become a different person..

Such is the spell of Andes my friend....

It weaves its magic onto ya..

Crow

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Crow , just when you think you have seen it all , something comes along to completely blow you away , thanks ..cheers Mick

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Arm of 1 It must be getting close to wet season up your way?

I think there is a little explorer in all of us. And the Andes mountains appeals to that desire with every mountain and valley and most of all its people never fails to surprise.

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Crow

Brilliant . Just brilliant.

You are a walking encyclopedia on all things gold and glittery. But you don't need the shiny stuff with a place like this, it's a true treasure in itself, and the walls and terraces have witnessed do much...

I think we'll have to rename you that is more synchronised with your ability to pull rabbits out of the hat...hhmmm...

IPUK

Like you've said

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don Jose yep I am always still amazed at these little wiry people on how well they engineer things in such hilly terrain.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Now another random thought....

This city of Choquequirao Center of Inca Resistance. Did they Have the the sun disk for a time after it was allegedly taken away from Cusco before the Conquistador could loot it?

Could some where in the hills around this site be an Inca cache of treasure?

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be any amount of Inca treasures still around Crow. Much was missing from Cusco as Atahualpa's army under his admirable general, the splendidly named QuizQuiz, retreated north after his death and the Huascar faction were ostensibly in control.

IPUK

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be any amount of Inca treasures still around Crow. Much was missing from Cusco as Atahualpa's army under his admirable general, the splendidly named QuizQuiz, retreated north after his death and the Huascar faction were ostensibly in control.

IPUK

Choquequirao is a 15th and 16th century settlement associated with the Andean empire called Tawantinsuya.The site had two major growth stages. This could be explained if Pachacuti founded Choquequirao and his son,Tupag inka Yupanki , remodeled and extended it after becoming the Sapa Inka . The 2 Inca Rulers have a long connection Choquequirao as is located in the area considered to be Pachacuti’s estate.

Tupac-inca-yupanqui-small.png
It was one of the last bastions of resistance and refuge of the Son of the Sun (the "Inca") Manco Inka Yupanqui who failed to recapture Cusco in 1535. Its not impossible that some where in those mountains lay cave with the remains of at least-two Inka emperors from the Hanan dynasty. The Hannan Dynasty was affiliated with Incas Dynasty from Cuzco and their traditional territory was South west of Cuzco not the Valley of Pisac or the sacred Valley of Cuzco itself.

Not all dead Inca emperors was placed in royal grave above Cuzco. Cieza De Leon in his 1533 Chronicle stated the dead Incas emperors was always dressed in their finery of gold Ornaments mummified in sitting position. During certain religious festivals they would be carried out on a litter and paraded with all their finery as well as their principle wives and venerated. However the principle Royal Tomb in cave overlooking Cuzco. I have had the pleasure of exploring Kenko Cave Temple which only had enough space for 6 rock cut seats for each Inca and his wife. Many other past Inca emperors it is believed was interested in other caves in so the areas could venerate past Inca Emperors.

Here is the Kenko Cave Temple below....

Cusco-hiddenCave.jpg

Another site was used for other Inca emperors could be venerated for and paraded during various festivals for each city. The one below is the Temple of the Moon.

temple-of-the-moon-cave.jpg

There is no clear evidence of fate of all the dead Inca leaders. Many of course was looted and destroyed. However Perhaps one or two still concealed in mountains somewhere?

Stranger still an old Inca women off see me an Item I bitterly regretted not Buying for 20 bucks. It was strangest Item I have ever seen....thats another story and late and time for old crow to roost.

Crow

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Crow,

You're spot on. Young Manco Inca escaped from the Spanish overlords in Cuzco by claiming he was going to retrieve a golden statue from the estate of a past Sapa Inca and would "return in a few days". They accepted that the estates and holiday palaces of the Incas, were situated in different places and had their associated treasures stored therein...

IPUK

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Crow,

You're spot on. Young Manco Inca escaped from the Spanish overlords in Cuzco by claiming he was going to retrieve a golden statue from the estate of a past Sapa Inca and would "return in a few days". They accepted that the estates and holiday palaces of the Incas, were situated in different places and had their associated treasures stored therein...

IPUK

Yeah please forgive me for bad spelling in the last post. It was late very late when I posted. I do not know how H got into the word siting.:laughing7: Amusing mistake....

Following on Felipe Guáman Poma de Ayala Told about dead past Inca leaders still venerated in secret in the mountains. Here is his illustration below....

Idols.jpg

These past Inca and their golden adornment was not from the Coricancha. However they could possibly had items added to from there via Manco's followers?

In course of travels we also gave kids in villages little plastic toys. It helped break the ice with villagers. When traveling around Peru being a Gringo you are constantly bombarded with everyone wanting to sell something to ya. Its constant in ya face in some places...Even the outlying villages wanted barter... Most of time it hand made artisan fakes some times quite good themselves and some times the artifacts are the real deal. It seemed the Provence of old ladies and Kids.

To some it can be real annoying after a while but ya get used to it. I bought many things....But one can buy only so much....

On the hike to the Inca city of Choquequirao, I got bailed up by an old Inca women as old as the hills itself. Being overloaded tired and exhausted from hiking up and down mountains all day, I had this old women out of nowhere shoving an old artifact in my face want me to buy it for 20 US dollars.

It was way different from anything I have ever seen. In fact I have never seen anything like it since. It was made by a hard heavy black stone carved like bowl with pieces cut to resemble a steering wheel of car the handles radiating out of the center like 3 large spokes was carved snakes. In the center was a carved image of Viracocha the creator god. The base extended like a steering wheel column. On the column resembled like chuck key. In broken Spanish and Quechua, she said the Spanish word " Clave" At the time trying to understand what she was saying and the others I was traveling with glaring at me waiting impatiently. I declined to buy it. Even As I continued on I regretted it. I even considered going back to buy it. But as silently and quickly she had appeared to me she was gone.

Perturbed only having knowlege of basic Spanish, it left me wondering then I realized that "Clave" meant Key?

It was every more puzzling as learned more of Quechua language they have no word for Key. Because in Inca times the buildings never had doors only a cloth with sticks placed over them at night.

Perhaps it was just a well made fake regardless perhaps more than worth for sum of 20 bucks. However a part of me wondered if it actually was a key of sorts to a secret stone door? Perhaps to a treasure hoard? Alas perhaps all just a mere fantasy but still I wondered....????

Crow

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
El Crow…….as my return comes very near, your stories keep me inspired…..
There is something very special about the Andes for sure…….
For those who are not aware, although the most of the SA countries speak spanish, there are also several native languages such as Quechua that are spoken, mostly in the mountains (montanas)……
And it is difficult to tell fake from real…..

Gracias, Senor Crow, Senor Don Jose, Senor IPUK…….if ya'll make it down, be sure to write me and perhaps we can meet up somewhere in SA.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You a'll want another lost city story --- Many years ago when i was staying in a Hotel fo fair quality, we were working a mine up in the high sierras an occasionally came down for RR. The Hotel owner became quite friendly when he heard of my Yucatan /. Quintana Roo trip looking for Mayan ruins and opened up " Every do ofter, say twice a year a Mirage is projected to sea an uninhabited city., It is of a distinct Spanish colonial style building - but there is no such city ??"

Nothing on record, nor reports from the many that have gone looking for it.

The country behind Mazatlan holds some of the roughest country in the world. So if you're looking for adventure, here is your chance, but be forwarned, besides the usual wild animals and extremely rough country, it is now the srong hold of the Sinaloa cartel'

Have fun.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
El Crow…….as my return comes very near, your stories keep me inspired…..
There is something very special about the Andes for sure…….
For those who are not aware, although the most of the SA countries speak spanish, there are also several native languages such as Quechua that are spoken, mostly in the mountains (montanas)……
And it is difficult to tell fake from real…..

Gracias, Senor Crow, Senor Don Jose, Senor IPUK…….if ya'll make it down, be sure to write me and perhaps we can meet up somewhere in SA.

Senor Doc it has been a real pleasure talking with ya and indeed I shall if I ever make it back there.

And part of me will always be in those mountains as they weave a spell on ya only you know too well. I am sure you will have many of your own adventures down there and your own stories to tell. Your journey like so many here is beginning....My long long journey ending and new beginning befalls me also. But the winds of fate blows me away from south America to other places.... However ya never know where the winds of fortune and glory will blow old Crow?

I hope some these stories and yarns have been not of interest but an insight of what to do and not to do. And most of all put a few things in perspective in your journey that befalls you. And when ya stumped look to the wind and sky ya just might see an old crow watching over ya....So take care and Perhaps those treasure hunting gods will shine down of ya...

Take care...

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You a'll want another lost city story --- Many years ago when i was staying in a Hotel fo fair quality, we were working a mine up in the high sierras an occasionally came down for RR. The Hotel owner became quite friendly when he heard of my Yucatan /. Quintana Roo trip looking for Mayan ruins and opened up " Every do ofter, say twice a year a Mirage is projected to sea an uninhabited city., It is of a distinct Spanish colonial style building - but there is no such city ??"

Nothing on record, nor reports from the many that have gone looking for it.

The country behind Mazatlan holds some of the roughest country in the world. So if you're looking for adventure, here is your chance, but be forwarned, besides the usual wild animals and extremely rough country, it is now the srong hold of the Sinaloa cartel'

Have fun.

Hello Don Amigo there is name for that but I cannot think of the name? It can occur in Humid weather Its some thing to do with the temperature inversion layer of warm air trapped a by a layer of cool air. Phantasm Morgana I think its called?

here is recent picture below....

1367345216649-cidade-fantasma.JPG

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you doc for the nice gesture and offer.

Some day I will make it to SA. I am still in my 30s with a young family. When I manage to establish myself financially, i will take an extended trip down there and check some things out that I've always wanted to. I am glad that you are doing what you've always wanted to and will have a rich set of memories and experiences that will be with you for ever.

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But also keep this in mind; if you do strike it "lucky", that will always make the experience that much better......Good luck!

IPUK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread