Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Some legendary treasures turn out to be true and their discovery is often not discovered by archeologist but everyday people.

The discovery of the Malagana Treasure began with an accident in a sugar-cane field at Harienda Malagana, which is situated on the flatlands of the fertile Caura river , near the city of Palmira in western Colombia. A Farm worker was driving a tractor)[SUP] [/SUP]across the field when the ground suddenly gave way , and the tractor fell into a large hole. As the driver inspected his predicament, a golden object caught his eye. The object was in fact made of gold, and the hole turned out to be an ancient tomb know in archeological circles as a hyogeum.

The poor worker removed some of the gold work artifacts and quietly sold them. But Before long, knowledge his nefarious activities caught the attention of other farm workers. Between October and December 1992 news broke out by word of mouth as secrets cannot be kept secret when too many found out and started a gold rush, to Hacienda Malagana's sugar-cane field.[SUP] [/SUP]According to newspaper accounts, the looters numbered as many as 5,000. digging away to what turned out the be an ancient cemetery.

malagana.gif

Reporters on the scene captured the madness mayhem on camera and published their photographs in newspapers.[SUP] [/SUP]Even the police and army arrived on the scene were totally ineffective in controlling the chaos o0f fights between various groups fighting over the spoils, leading to one murder perhaps more, and the wide scale destruction of the ancient cemetery. Countless artifacts were carried off by the local population of rural people and farm labourers. The weight of the gold objects that were taken from the site has been estimated at 160 kilograms (352 pounds) by one source (Bray 2000:94) and between 140 kilograms (308 pounds) and 180 kilograms (396 pounds) by another, who speculates that the amount might even have been greater than 180 kilograms. However the real amount will never be known.

AgenciaUN_0302_3.jpg

But Late in 1992 the gold museum in Bogotá received an impressive assortment of the gold objects made in an unfamiliar style. Research revealed that the source of the artifacts was the Hacienda Malagana site.Finding treasure is one thing being able dispose of it is another. One can only speculate how many objects was melted down for it gold content as lost forever?

Helmet.jpg

Golden-Mask.jpg

malagana.jpg

If anything the travesty of this legendary treasure discovery added fuel to claims of vandalism to a nations cultural heritage. Even so artifacts are still being hunted down from the site.

For any would be treasure hunter this poses a ethical problem when is a treasure a cultural artifact belong to a nation as a whole as cultural patrimony and what is treasure that is not. The line is murky as somewhat grey. However the current status of many Nations use it as cash grab of assets. Questions also should be asked what actually happens to these artifacts once claimed by respective authorities are hidden away in museums from the very people whose ancestors they have come from too poor to even visit the museum?

Questions indeed.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello CC its a moral dilemma anyone with face when searching for treasure.

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gracias Senor Crow……yes, melting it down is an answer, but as you are aware, there are ways to dispose of these artifacts………but this is not without risk……….
Best to sort this out before hand……
And how many more discoveries lie below ground, lost to history?

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Doc ones like these....

o26176_544x725.jpg

o33156_544.jpg

inca391083001 small.jpg

inca_bato16584 s.jpg

But don't worry these are in safe hands.

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something like that Señor Crow……for me, I would not want to hold onto things like that for many reasons……but there are a few who clearly do…..

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Clearly there is at the burial sites there two different cultures one with more sophisticated gold working techniques. The last picture shows a heavey infusion of platinum, And for many years columbia was the main source of platinum. Cultural styles of the metalworking suggest that Some time in that time frame 600 AD - 1500. there was territorial shift or cultural diffusion between two separate tribal cultures. What has been lost is vital information as to what context the items was buried losing the understanding of culture that was behind the burials.

The archeological site was trashed by treasure hunters for short term profit. We can only speculate how much was melted down back to gold. The travesty is these items once destroyed are not only lost to Columbia by humanity as whole.

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh yes, but Señor Crow, how much does humanity benefit, versus a select wealthy few…….
As for me, it seem preferred to sell intact, but gov's often make this difficult and do not play nicely…….
But I do agree it is sad to melt such priceless treasures…...

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen, may I suggest that you do not show the first to Danekin or it will soon be labled "ancient astronaught" at the controls of a space ship.

Looks as if he is seated on the head of a bird of prey or carrion eater with some sort of controls. LOVE IT !

astro.jpg

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a real quandary. A few years ago I had time to kill in Philadelphia and ended up at the University of Pennsylvania's museum.

Statue - E12326 | Penn Museum Collections

Absolutely stunning display of artifacts, statues, columns, chunks of buildings. I have to wonder how much is left in Egypt if displays like this are scattered around the world. Not to belittle U.Penn, but this is just a university museum and they have hundreds of tons of temple structure - not just the contents.

103919_800.jpg

On the other hand, if it was left in place would it be preserved? Would ISIS shoot it all up or blow it up because it is non-Muslim?

Is it the birthright of the locals to chop up and sell (the local officials might have sold it to UofP, for that matter) ancient artifacts their ancestors created?

Got no answers but it is certainly a good heap of questions to ponder. I understand the British pretty much looted the Parthenon and other Greek sites of marble friezes (the Elgin Marbles) and statues and they are in British museums; and the British aren't the only ones. UNESCO is currently trying to unravel this.

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gold Museum in Bogota is an excellent place to spend an afternoon. If you ever make it Bogota, be sure to check it out.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a real quandary. A few years ago I had time to kill in Philadelphia and ended up at the University of Pennsylvania's museum.

Statue - E12326 | Penn Museum Collections

Absolutely stunning display of artifacts, statues, columns, chunks of buildings. I have to wonder how much is left in Egypt if displays like this are scattered around the world. Not to belittle U.Penn, but this is just a university museum and they have hundreds of tons of temple structure - not just the contents.

View attachment 1103240

On the other hand, if it was left in place would it be preserved? Would ISIS shoot it all up or blow it up because it is non-Muslim?

Is it the birthright of the locals to chop up and sell (the local officials might have sold it to UofP, for that matter) ancient artifacts their ancestors created?

Got no answers but it is certainly a good heap of questions to ponder. I understand the British pretty much looted the Parthenon and other Greek sites of marble friezes (the Elgin Marbles) and statues and they are in British museums; and the British aren't the only ones. UNESCO is currently trying to unravel this.

Charlie Yes excellent point. And yes there is no easy answer either.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The Gold Museum in Bogota is an excellent place to spend an afternoon. If you ever make it Bogota, be sure to check it out.

perdidogringo I not have liberty to visit Bogota gold museum. But rest assured when I visit that will be one of the first places on my list to visit while in Columbia.

Crow

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
Just a couple of comments. Being a huaquero is a legal profession in Colombia. As long as you are a Colombian national. This strategy was implemented years back in order to entice the people who dig up these tombs to sell to the artifacts to the respective state institutions . This has proven to best option for both the impoverished families who dedícate to this activity and the museums. A win win for everyone. To date the gold museum has over 40000 gold objects on display and much more in vaults. They pay top Price. I am a legal resident of Colombia and worked in exploration for nearly 20 years, although now I currently reside in Mexico. I was living in Manizales, 5 hours north, when the Hacienda Madgalena Discovery was made. If you do go to Bogota the gold museum is a must. Sometimes also on display is an emerald studded monstrance nicknamed la lechuga, meaning the lettuce, you will understand the name once you see it. I have been lucky enough to have seen some of the most magnificent Works of art on this planet and only two or three have impacted me as this did. For those who cant make the trip keyword , monstrance la luchuga on Wikipedia.

cayuse

Apr 3, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5, and an old Minelab that doesn't work
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever happened to Crow? I sure miss his stories.

Is he still with us?

Thanks

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
What ever happened to Crow? I sure miss his stories.

Is he still with us?

Thanks

Though I don't personally have any updates, I was told awhile back (about a year ago I think??) that Crow and his two cronies that make up the "unholy trio" were in the process of working on something "quite big" and wouldn't be around for some time.

Unfortunately, those gents are so damned secretive (and for good reason, I'm sure!) that we'll most likely never know what they've been up to, or what they've EVER been up to for that matter, should they hopefully one day rejoin us.....I'd sure love to know though, wouldn't you??

Between Tnet and a few other THunting websites, I've definitely tried my best over the last few years to prod one of them into writing a book about their adventures....even if they had to do it anonymously. Sadly, in the types of ventures I imagine they've been involved with, the obvious and wisest move is certainly to just keep quite....for their own safety, and that of their family's as well.

In a long-winded way, I guess what I'm trying to say is, Yes, I absolutely agree with you! I too miss Crow's stories....along with those told by Kanacki, Hardluck, and of course, let's not forget about the lovely Miss Amy! Those four sure had a hell of a way of telling a "yarn"! Whatever they're up to, I wish them all the best.

Cheers~

P.S. Since none of the trio will ever end up writing a book, I guess I'll just have to "settle" for Don Jose's when it FINALLY comes out (hehe)! When should I be expecting my signed copy Senor Tayopa?? Hmmmm?

Last edited:

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
P.P.S. I went back and reviewed what I was told about Crow and his cohorts; apparently they're under contractual order to remain silent....they're not supposed to post or comment on any treasure sites.

Man, the questions I'd have if I ever came face to face with one of the unholy trio!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread