Prospecting, treasure hunting in Ecuador?

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishing, sure, plenty of it along the coasts…….there is fly fishing for trout (trucha) in the mountains around Cuenca.
BUT if you are traveling around, you will be limited with what luggage you will be traveling with…….
Not sure about starting in Zaruma……assuming you fly into Ecuador, it is either Quito or Guayaquil…….and they would be a good starting point……it would be good to get a good laminated map to study and take with you.
Depending on the visa, Ecuador has consulates around the USSA which will help and or provide a visa…….some visa's can only be obtained while in Ecuador however.

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Thanks Doc. My thought is to fly into Guayaquil then set up camp around Zaruma. Although the more I read it seems like I may be more suited to the coastal region.
I read quite a bit last night about visa requirements and it appears that I can get a resident visa by spending 25k on property. I may opt for this option if I decide to stay but I do want to look around first. Sort of see where I fit in. In Texas I had a nearly self-sustainable farm. I'd like to have something similar again and the climate there seems more than compatible. CC

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Caveman…….spend some time here before you buy anything…..many, many beautiful areas…..from loosely following a couple expat forums here, it seems people frequently change one location for another (e.g. mountain city like Cuenca (AKA gringolandia) for the beach towns)……
Also self sustaining farms are a great idea, but it is best done here working with some locals, for many reasons……
One nice aspect is you have a year round growing season here…….you can grow almost 3 corn/rice crops/year……
Diversity is helpful also and easily done here…….they are bringing into farm production some desert on the road from Guayaquil to Salinas…..that would allow the best of both worlds.
But it is best to come and visit…….if you intend to travel much, pack light…..
While you can find bus travel easily, in my view, a 12 passenger van costs little more and is better……….
Still time to come down and get out of the cold and snow….

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Thanks again for the help Doc. I'm working on getting out of here as quickly as possible. I just don't want to be under funded. One thing I've decided after several days of reading is that I don't want to stay in Cuenca. If I decide to stay I want to be out among the locals.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't blame you for avoiding Cuenca…..OK to visit, but there are so many other places to explore……
I would consider making a short trip of a month or two, then returning for longer…but that is me…..
Vaya con Dios mi amigo

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will consider it, Doc. Though I'm more of an all in sort of guy. Once my mind is set on something I'm a pig headed fella. Lol.

So its all in with two hand grenades with pins out just to see what happens next?:laughing7: I think you when you first arrive you will think your fallen into a movie. One thing I can guarantee you that you never feel so much more alive living every second. Have fun and stay safe.

Kanacki

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Thanks Kanacki. I'm really looking forward to it. I might even take a day or two and poke around for the Corregidors treasure or Atahualpas ransom as both are rumored to have their origins in Zaruma. That is if I have time after all of the seafood, cervesa and senoritas. After all I am but one mortal man.
Please forward my best wishes to our buddy Crow.

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Caveman…..let me know when you are coming via PM……
Life is good here……..much to explore, much to learn, much to experience. And Señor Kanacki is correct in that you will feel more alive here…….now year 3 and no regrets……
Things you cannot explain, only experience in coming to a different culture and land…….South America is truly worth the effort.

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Thanks Doc. I'm truly excited about the unknown and the opportunity to see new wild places. I will definitely let you know when I'm headed your way. It will probably be this fall so I can tie up some loose ends and keep building up my travelling stash.
Keep in mind that I can nearly eat my weight in ceviche de camarone.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ceviche, one of my favorites but only with camarones for me…..and there is a private club we can go to when you come which had the best ceviche I have ever ate……the owner exports camarones…….
A few km outside of Salinas there is a small river where you can toss a net and catch camarones (I have one here also)…….well many places but this 1 I am familiar with and it is easy.

It is impossible to come and not find treasure here…….treasures of a new culture, new foods, wonder people and an awesome climate….
Sort of reminds me of America when I was growing up in the 60's, 70's……..
Viva Christo Rey

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Doc, You'd be proud of me. I practiced my Spanish at lunch today, I had Arroz con Pollo with guajillo chili sauce and tres margaritas. Lol. I was only going to have dos but I thought I should have one for El jefe José since he's been so good about sharing his coffee.
A lesser man would surely have crumbled.

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on down to Ecuador, or possibly Peru, Culinary. You won't be disappointed. :) It's a lot like the old west here, and I love that aspect of South America.

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11159135_10153269763247938_1129295852_o.jpg This is the cliff I was thrown off of back in 2011. We just filmed and photographed the location days ago. The height I fell is about 150 feet. As you can see, it's a beautiful river....hauntingly beautiful. This is also on the edge of the Llanaganates, the mountain range hiding Atahualpa's ransom.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread