Prospecting, treasure hunting in Ecuador?

minedog

Greenie
Jan 1, 2015
az, ok, wa
Detector(s) used
whites goldmaster 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am thinking about going down to Ecuador to do some prospecting. Does anyone have any information on this. links? Has anyone done it? Is there a forum Im missing? magazine articles? books? I cannot find much on the web beyond lonely planet guide and hippy rain forest tours, stuff like that. There is some sight called wealthy adventurer but Im not sure if its B.S. or not to buy his information(e book). Id like to talk to someone who has been there and also develop some contacts down there. Im interested in gold panning the rivers or basic treasure hunting etc. I know people do this but the information isn't easy to find. Anything to help with information please. Thanks

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ecuador has considerable gold and treasures waiting…….below is a link to Stan Grists site who will get you started.
Yes he is the wealthy adventure and no, I have not purchased anything from him, but there is free info on his site as well as other internet searches you wish to make.

Stan Grist's Latest Adventures

Ecuador is a beautiful country…..but you need to know spanish or have somebody who does if you intend to go out, also understanding the country, it's laws, it's customs and the dangers here from both the wildlife that exists and the people……..

As for contacts, they exists of course, but the question of what is in it for them? There are some well known (at least here) rivers/streams where many pan for gold…….and if memory serves me correctly, I may have read a little about your topic here in the forum……

Ecuador is an awesome country I call home……..vaya con Dios, viva Christo Rey!

OP
OP
M

minedog

Greenie
Jan 1, 2015
az, ok, wa
Detector(s) used
whites goldmaster 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey you sound like you know what your talking about, do you have some experience down there yourself? And about the Spanish yes Im enrolling in a convo. Spanish class at the metro tech here so I can get a little bit better at that.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gracias Senor Minedog………as you are likely aware……..there is no advantage in specifics, more so on open forums that are about certain to be monitored by at least a few "groups"
Me, just a researcher, traveler, and one interested in history………
Any equipment you think you will need, is best to be taken with you, such as any scuba or MD items are expensive and may not be readily available…….there is considerable petty crime here and you need to be aware. While conversational spanish is a great idea, it is much different when talking to natives in rural areas (likely in general also)…..while they may understand what you are saying, it takes much time and practice to understand them, and it is very easy to misunderstand them…….
It would be far safer to have at least 1 other with you.

Now I am not saying this to discourage you, only to be aware. And it may be best to make an exploratory trip first to check things out……your choice. Ecuador is an awesome country with much to offer.

There are a few gringos on the forum here who are in Ecuador and Columbia that I am aware of also.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Done dece t  size coffee.jpg

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor CC…….why are you wasting time in the frozen north (as I write this snow is predicted for all 50 states in the coming week)……
Our problem here is it is too hot………but with trips to either la playa (the beach) or los montanas (the mountains), it is cooler…..
Ecuador is a relatively free country except with things antique……there are solutions for that however……
Vaya con Dios, Viva Christo Rey

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Thank you Tio José. Doc, I want to make sure I have enough Dinero for traveling and looking around. Heck if I like it I might want to stay so I'm trying to get up enough cash. I'm assuming I could trek for a year on 30k pretty easily.
I might also add that I like the heat. I've done concrete work back home in Texas when it was 105 degrees and 90 percent humidity. I don't mind being warm but I truly loathe this cold up here in Wyoming.

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor CC, you could live years on $30K…….live well and travel for under $2K/month…….if you were careful, even less than $1,000K/month….
If you intend to stay, make sure you take the documents needed for a resident visa…..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread