The Anglo-American Exploratory Society Expedition - Late 1970's - ?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I recently obtained a copy of An Exploratory Journey into the Mysterious Mountains of Llanganati, published by the Anglo-American Exploratory Society [“undergoing formation].” The document is dated January -July 1978 which appears to be the projected date of the expedition, not the date of publication.

The 148- page proposal (prospectus -although it does not ask for funds) describes an effort to find the lost treasure, along with several other scientific pursuits. It was to be lead by Jean-Clause Samia. Norman J.W. Thrower, Phd, Professor of Geography, University of California, Los Angeles, wrote the Preface and apparently played a major role in the initial organization of the Society and the expedition.
M. Samia refers in the “Leader’s Introduction” to “My disastrous expedition into the Llanganatis a few years ago…”

Certainly not the words one would wish to read if contemplating joining up. Although they echo the advertisement quoted in Peter Fleming's classic Brazilian Adventure on a search for Col. Fawcett - "Return doubtful."

Does anyone here know if this expedition was successfully initiated? And, if it was (were?), the results?
Does anyone have information on M. Samia’s previous attempt?

Thank you!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Last edited:

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Bookaroo

The Jean-Clause Samia I know from a mutual friend. He claims Jean-Clause Samia made several trips into the Llanganati region. from what I have been told he travels with no one but himself and claimed he has sold artifacts from various sites he found in the region. My friend claims the old Frenchman is as tough as nails as some times he comes out of those mountains more dead than alive. He has been accused of being involved in regular transactions in the illicit antiquities trade. Deals originating out of Panama and Columbia.

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello bookaroo

If you would like to know more about Jean-Clause Samia PM me. His old these days but quite a character in his younger days.

Mal

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
South Sea Mariner:

Thank you! He rather sounds like Howard Jennings...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread