Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Llanganatis Mountains: Valverde's Gold

Yup, and no problem - you're right that it helps to have as much information as possible to follow up on to try to get or at least read a copy of the original reference.

I only read the portion Crow specifically mentioned, but noticed that other issues from the same year had the same title (Among the Andes of Peru and Bolivia). I want to sit down one of these evenings and put them all together to see what the context of the entire series was about.

That area of the world is fascinating though.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Cubfan64:

I looked around a bit and it appears there were five parts to the story: April, May, June, July and August 1868.

Subscribers to Harper's Magazine can access back issues for free. Interestingly, their Index by author shows 5 articles but the month-by-month summaries skips one Part.

I am surprised these articles weren't collected into a book. Many Harper's writers did that (J. Ross Browne comes immediately to mind).

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Regarding Richard Spruce's Notes of a Botanist on the Amazon and Andes: I pulled up a copy of this book on GoogleBooks

http://books.google.com/books?oe=UTF-8&id=zAgNAAAAIAAJ&q=valverde#v=snippet&q=Llanganatis&f=false

and searched for every word I could think of that would lead to the story: gold, inca, Valverde, Guzman, Llanganatis, even "Corregidor of Tacunga."

Now, I'll admid to being a bit lazy here. I didn't sit down and read all 400+ pages. Can anyone point out where in this book is the story of the Inca treasure? What am I missing here?

Thank you!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Bookaroo said:
Cubfan64:

I looked around a bit and it appears there were five parts to the story: April, May, June, July and August 1868.

Subscribers to Harper's Magazine can access back issues for free. Interestingly, their Index by author shows 5 articles but the month-by-month summaries skips one Part.

I am surprised these articles weren't collected into a book. Many Harper's writers did that (J. Ross Browne comes immediately to mind).

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OB

I found a digital book online written by Squier in 1877 entitled, "Peru; Incidents of Travel and Exploration in the Land of the Incas" - I'll have to do tons of reading to confirm it, but I imagine the articles which appeared 10 or so years earlier in Harper's Magazine probably became a part of this much larger work.

http://www.archive.org/details/peruincidentsoft00squi

Incidently, you can also find at least some of the Harper's Magazines on a free website as well - including the ones you mentioned...

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/serial?id=harpers

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Bookaroo said:
Regarding Richard Spruce's Notes of a Botanist on the Amazon and Andes: I pulled up a copy of this book on GoogleBooks

http://books.google.com/books?oe=UTF-8&id=zAgNAAAAIAAJ&q=valverde#v=snippet&q=Llanganatis&f=false

and searched for every word I could think of that would lead to the story: gold, inca, Valverde, Guzman, Llanganatis, even "Corregidor of Tacunga."

Now, I'll admid to being a bit lazy here. I didn't sit down and read all 400+ pages. Can anyone point out where in this book is the story of the Inca treasure? What am I missing here?

Thank you!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OB - You may have searched only volume I. There are 2 volumes to Spruce's book and the story as related by him is written in Volume II, Chapter 28, pages 489-518.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Cubfan64:

Thank you very much! As you surmised, I was reading Vol. I of II.

I found on the 'Web a copy of the book and then the proper chapter. There is a note in the always reliable "Wikipedia" that Mr. Spruce wrote only the first volume. After this death, the editor wrote Vol. II from his Notes.

Most interesting - again, I say "Thank you!" You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Bookaroo said:
Cubfan64:

Thank you very much! As you surmised, I was reading Vol. I of II.

I found on the 'Web a copy of the book and then the property chapter. There is a note in the always reliable "Wikipedia" that Mr. Spruce wrote only the first volume. After this death, the editor wrote Vol. II from his Notes.

Most interesting - again, I say "Thank you!" You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

You're quite welcome, but there would be plenty of people who would argue the "gentleman and scholar" [part :). I just love looking for things - put me in an old musty smelling used bookstore with uncategorized piles of old volumes, and it would be like being in heaven :)

I didn't realize Volume 2 was put together by Spruce's editor after he passed away - thanks for that as well.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

cubfan64:

San Francisco used to have McDonald's Bookstore, on the end of Turk Street. Room after room after room of dusty, musty books in a dank spot. My trouble was after I'd go through a pile of junk and come across something half-way interesting I'd take another look at it and just couldn't bring myself to bring it home...

The old Albatross (formerly The Roundup) Bookstore, also in the Tenderloin, was a favorite for years. Lots of good books, relatively clean, lots of good old stuff. Sadly, it's gone, as well, along with Holmes in Oakland and so many other good ones.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Paul,

"I just love looking for things - put me in an old musty smelling used bookstore with uncategorized piles of old volumes, and it would be like being in heaven..."

I believe that describes heaven.......exactly. :read2: :read2: :read2: :angel9:

Take care,

Joe

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other

Hello Joe

I could not agree more.

Archives with documents and old maps as well.

The older the better.

Crow

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ole Bookaroo: What was the name of that huge old book shop just off of Market street? Going up Market street it would lie off to your right, just off of Market st itself? A sort of kitty corner setup. Tons of old books basically uncatalogued, just lying around in stacks, since the shelves were already full..

Don Jose de La Mancha

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

That would be MacDonald's (McDonalds? I am not sure, but I don't think so.)

From memory (and sometimes memory serves; sometimes it double-faults) that was 44 Turk Street. Huge piles of old dusty musty books everywhere. A true "dirty" bookstore.

My personal favorite was farther up, on Eddy Street. 166, I believe. For years it was the "Round-Up Book Company" (mentioned in several of KvonM's writings) and then "The Albatross." Bought a first printing of Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates there on layaway many moons ago. Of course, I purchased a great many books there.

Them was the days!

The City had a number of really niced used book stores. Many of them gone now...

Happy Trails,

~The Old Bookaroo

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ole Buckaroo, that was where I found the first edition of "Enchanted vagaonds, by Dana and ginger Lamb. We later became good friends. They helped coach me when I went on the backpacking trip into the Quintan Roo jungles looking for Mayan ruins.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Hello All

The Llangantis legend was well establish by 1888. Thanks to Richard Spruce who brought the legend to English speaking world. Even today as I write there are expeditions traveling in the foot steps of Valverde's deterreo. Daring to dream of fortune and glory.

It has become a bit of a tourist spot from adventurous hikers wanting to walk the grueling trails of Llangantis. Banos has had a mini tourist boom.

So perhaps there is treasure there after all in the foot steps of adventure travelers?

Crow

Attachments

• TREASURE OF THE INCAS DAILY ALTA 26 AUGUST 1888 EQUADORS HIDDEN GOLD.gif
    TREASURE OF THE INCAS DAILY ALTA 26 AUGUST 1888 EQUADORS HIDDEN GOLD.gif
    240.9 KB · Views: 1,420

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Crow said:
Hello All

The Llangantis legend was well establish by 1888. Thanks to Richard Spruce who brought the legend to English speaking world. Even today as I write there are expeditions traveling in the foot steps of Valverde's deterreo. Daring to dream of fortune and glory.

It has become a bit of a tourist spot from adventurous hikers wanting to walk the grueling trails of Llangantis. Banos has had a mini tourist boom.

So perhaps there is treasure there after all in the foot steps of adventure travelers?

Crow

The Llanganatis really is one of the most rugged regions in the world. The area is almost always in heavy fog and can basically walk right off a cliff if you are not careful. I have traveled about 10 kms into the region and i was basically just in the outskirts. Very few trails, and because of the lack of exploration...very few maps. People have gotten bogged down in basically quicksand and there have been deaths from it. You also have to factor in all the wildlife, from venomous snakes to jaguars. Due to all these factors I can totally see someone stashing a great treasure there. If you want to test yourself, and your survival skills....there aren't too many other places as worthy as the Llanganatis.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Alaskan Adventurer said:
Crow said:
Hello All

Crow

The Llanganatis really is one of the most rugged regions in the world. The area is almost always in heavy fog and can basically walk right off a cliff if you are not careful. I have traveled about 10 kms into the region and i was basically just in the outskirts. Very few trails, and because of the lack of exploration...very few maps. People have gotten bogged down in basically quicksand and there have been deaths from it. You also have to factor in all the wildlife, from venomous snakes to jaguars. Due to all these factors I can totally see someone stashing a great treasure there. If you want to test yourself, and your survival skills....there aren't too many other places as worthy as the Llanganatis.

A.A.,

You forgot bears...... :o :wink:

Cactus Jumper

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cactusjumper said:
Alaskan Adventurer said:
Crow said:
Hello All

Crow

A.A.,

You forgot bears...... :o :wink:

Cactus Jumper
Yeah, forgot about the 5,000 pound man-eating jungle bears. j/k. The only bears in the mountains of South America is the Andean Spectacled Bear, though they are omnivorous. They are known to attack on very rare occasions, but generally wounded, starving or if you are unlucky soul being caught between her mom and babies. They are generally found at higher elevations, 3-4,000 meters elevation cloud forest and you should consider it an honor to see one in its natural habitat. What fascinates me is that they build nests up in trees, instead of a cave or den that most bear species live in/build. I think they are about as beautiful and exotic as a panda bear

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Getting a chance to climb up into the Llanganatis Mountains one day would be a real treat! I love reading the stories about them - seeing them in person must be amazing!

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes it is amazing place but not a place for old bones. It is nearly always damp that chills the bones, at first the chill creeps up from the feet up.

The vegetation can be very thick and trails are grown over at an amazing rate. The Llangantis Mountains is like and exotic dancer she veils herself in air of mystery and taunts you with her charms. And when you hit the limit of frustration on occasions she teases you. By revealing herself as the fog and mists subsides revealing the most magnificant panorama of a wild untamed land dominated by monsterous volancos.

Some times when they are active you can hear thier roar and glow in the darkness as the tremors vibrate through you legs. Letting you know well and trully that you are in her turf and she dictates what secrets she reveals.

It is easy to see why the Inca vernerated this region.

I hope you get the chance to see it one day Cubfan64.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread