Llanganatis Mountains: Valverdes Gold

N

New-Comer

Llanganatis Mountains: Valverde's Gold

Does anyone know of this "legend"? I've been reading a book on it. There is one book by Richard Spruce "NOTES OF A BOTANIST ON THE AMAZON AND ANDES" That has his maps and notes of how to get to this treasure. I've been looking for copies of this book but all of the ones I can find are "Original" and cost $1000 and up!! Just let me know if you have heard of this exploration and what you know.
Thxs,
Josh

OP
OP
N

New-Comer

Re: Llanganatis Mountains: Valverde's Gold

Dear Daryl Friesen,
Thank you for the comment.... I have been looking n the internet for the Valverde'd Derrotero with no prevail. Finally, someonme who is able to help me thank you.
Josh

Exnihilo

Jan 15, 2009

I maybe could help you. It depends what you're looking for about Valverde's Derotero.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Josh,

I collect signed first editions, and one of my favorites is "Sweat Of The Sun, Tears Of The Moon...." by Peter Lourie. I had the book, unsigned, and was discussing it with my friend Paul (CubFan64) when he told me the author was coming into town and he was going to meet him. Needless to say, I imposed on him to get the book inscribed. Mr. Lourie was very gracious to sign the book for me.

His book is now available in paperback, but hardbacks are also available at reasonable prices. Mr. Lourie spent a number of years researching the book......on location. For some wonderful insight into the legend and the local flavor, I highly recommend "Sweat Of The Sun, Tears Of The Moon".

The book you are looking for can be found here:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...+ON+THE+AMAZON+AND+ANDES&x=84&y=13&prevpage=2

Good Hunting,

Joe Ribaudo

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other

Hello Josh

I have quite a few documents relating to the Llanganatis Region.

You can PM if you like.

Crow.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

An excellent book on this topic is Valverde's Gold; In Search of the Last Great Inca Treasure by Mark Honigsbaum (New York: 2004). I particularly like it because the author actually went there and sought the treasure.

If you can locate a copy of Ralf Blomberg's Buried Gold and Anacondas (London: 1959) is has a copy of the map.

Look for a reprint of Spruce's book. I think they are out there - at a cost of considerably less than $1,000.

Inca Treasure as Depicted by Spanish Historians by S.K. Lothrop (LA: 1938; Reprinted 1964) will open your eyes to the size of this treasure. This pamphlet deserves to be better known to treasure hunters. Send me a PM if you have trouble locating a copy - I can help you find one.

Finally, there is the entertaining novel by David Dodge Plunder of the Sun. Hardcase Crime reprinted it in paperback and it makes for great beach or hammock reading!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Hello Bookaroo

Thank you for all the interesting references.

You might find a book called "Nueva Corónica y Buen Gobierno." Written by a native Inca noble called Felipe Guaman Poma de Ayala. Written around 1615.

He mentions the rebel Inca general Ruminavi who took charge and fought a guerrilla war after the death of the Emperor by the hands of Francisco Pizarro. It was the actions of this Rebel leader that treasure legends evolved from.

It might give you a different insight into the events?

Crow

Attachments

• RUMINAVI ILLUSTRATION P165.jpg
    RUMINAVI ILLUSTRATION P165.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 1,687
  • Ruminavi p166.jpg
    Ruminavi p166.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 2,281

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Crow:

Thank you for that information. Has that book been translated into English? If not, that might help explain why "the other side" of the story hasn't been well told before.

There is no doubt that when it comes to treasure legends, there are generally several facets to the gem.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Hello Old Bookaroo

You are most likely correct in that assumption that most of western knowledge of events are based on books written in English.

A far as I am aware there is no English translation of the script. It was written in Archaic Spanish laced with native Quechua and Aru dialects. There was a Spanish translation some where.

There is another earlier document written by Fray Martín de Murúa, (Guipúzcoa, Spain, c.1525 – Spain, c.1618) was a Basque Mercedarian friar and chronicler. He is best known for his work Historia general del Piru (written c.1580-1616), which is considered the earliest illustrated history of Peru. That book is even harder to get access to.

Most of the current treasure legends was based on Richard Spruce copy of 1863 Guzmans Map of the area of Llanganatis Region he searched. There are early chronicles that seem to place the Inca treasure in a different place all together.

Another thing many researches have concentrated on the Llanganatis Region with out trying to identify who was Valverde and if there was any historical references to him?

If they have done so they might have come to a different conclusion.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Hello All

Just a few more interesting points

There are no references to Valverde in the context of the legend prior Richard spruces publication of the Map and Derrotero? ( first publication 1861 and later 1863 )

Interesting to note Richard Spruce claimed the map he copied from was dated 1827. As for a poor solider called Valverde? At this point in time there has been no record of this man. Conveniently Richard Spruce states that the records was kept in records of the Corregidor of Tacunga. But in the course of time the documents were lost.

Or any record at this point in time of Padre Longo who allegedly searched for this treasure before De Atanasio Guzman.

If you go back to earlier documents of the events of the ransom of Atahullpa. The Spanish main push was toward the capital of Cuzco which was to the Inca the navel of the World, Where the conquistadors found treasure beyond wild imaginations.

Its was in some of the earliest chronicles when the Spaniards looted Cuzco, torturing the inhabitants in a gold lust for more and more gold, they discovered much gold did not get sent for the ransom. At the time Inca General Ruminavi was in revolt in the north it was assumed that he had held up shipments from the north. Perhaps the start of the legend of Ruminavi removing the remaining gold back north to Ecuador.

Another book worth looking at is on page 312 "Modern History or Present state of all nations" By Thomas Sulman 1746.

But perhaps the Llanganatis legend is corruption of earlier events via hearsay over time?

One of important figures in these events of time of Atahuallpa's execution was a Dominican monk named Vincent De Valverde. Who in some books painted him a hero of the natives and others as a monster. Never the least he was made first bishop of Cuzco.

Strange enough! It was a later Bishop from this very Dominican Monastery in around 1620 that had a lay brother who claimed he had found a location where much treasure was hidden and prepared a map. The Bishop had known how much destruction the conquistadors had wrought on the population in the past. Sent the information back to the Vatican away from the Spanish vice royalty.

This Document and Map was allegedly found by an Italian Peruvian archeologist in the late 90's. The directions on the map is as always double meaning and in a style that is open for interpretation.

Hence the mystery of the missing Inca treasure continues....

Crow

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've always been very inerested in the Inca gold stories - I want to thank you too for continuing the conversation. Sounds like there may be a very good project for someone to translate the document you mentioned into english so we can see the other side of the story!

Thanks again!

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Hello Cuban64

Thank you for your comments. As interesting the "Nueva Corónica y Buen Gobierno." is some Historians believe that some parts of book are based on hearsay especially about Inca history. The book criticizes Spanish injustices at the time in which historians are more inclined to believe. They I assume based their assumptions on what was written in other books around the same written by Spanish chroniclers.

What makes "Nueva Corónica y Buen Gobierno." special It is the only version of events written through the eyes of a native Peruvian.

Crow

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Crow - as has been said before, history is generally written by the winners. That alone makes it a biased viewpoint imho and it's too bad.

The side that loses always has a different interpretation of the events, and they too have their own biases, however I firmly believe there is truth to be found in both sides versions and I'd much rather see each and decide on my own what the real truth is than be fed one side or the others.

Thanks again for continuing this discussion - as I mentioned, I've always been absolutely fascinated by the stories of Inca Treasure.

Two other books I'd recommend as "treasure books" on this subject are:

Fever, Famine and Gold by Captain E. Erskine Loch

Sweat of the Sun, Tears of the Moon by Peter Lourie

I hope this conversation continues.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Hello All

Another book that may be of interest: The Royal Commentaries of Peru by Garcilaso De La Vega in 1688.

In volume 1 on page 188 he gives a vivid description of what the conquistadors saw when they entered the Inca capital of Cusco.

Another account in 1868 Harpers magazine volume 37 page 316 gives another interesting story which refers to a document allegedly in the British Museum.

Which may be of some interest.

Crow

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Crow:

It would be helpful if you'd share the complete citation - name of the article, author, the month of that issue, et. al.

Thank you!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The specific item Crow mentioned is in the August 1868, Volume 37, Issue 219 of "Harper's New Monthly Magazine," in an continuing series of pieces by E.G. Squire entitled "Among the Andes of Peru and Bolivia."

It makes for interesting reading and if nothing else, makes it quite clear that massive "treasure hunting" efforts by foreigners and locals alike have been taking place for literally centuries in those areas of the world.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Cubfan64:

Thank you! I don't mean to be a pest when I keep asking. I do find it useful to have the complete source reference.

Especially these days with the 'Web, it's actually possible to run these things down.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions