Newbie from Mishawaka,In

mishawakian

Feb 16, 2009
Mishawaka,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizum IV
I bought my first detector about a few weeks ago.I researched different brands and types.

I visited the Kelly co website to see all the various types of detectors, I also visited different forum pages just to get peoples opinions of the models they use.

I decided on the White's PrizumIV detector.I purchased locally.

After 5 days about 4 hours each day. I am up to $11.68 in found change.

I too, was itching to get out after I seen the first glimpse of grass protruding through the snow.My first time out, I went to a school lot nearby and examined the ground only to find frozen ground under 1" of mulch.That same day I went to a playground lot covered with sand again to find frozen ground after 2".
That first day taught me 2 things,I need rubber boots and patience.
My next day out I purchased a cheap garden spade, only to bend and break after a few spots dug.My very first find was a nickle.Not old ,mind you ,but just a nickle.The feeling that I got was like finding buried treasure!I was so excited, but my excitement turned to frustration after finding pulltabs,buried cans and bottle caps.
After another few days I tried my detector in different modes.Disc., sensitivity and the such.I am still learning about fine tuning but I feel that I pretty much have my machine dialed in.
I also have a pinpointer which I find is very helpful.I "probe" the area first before I actually dig.I have found many coins this way.No reason to dig a "divot" if I don't have to.
I have found a "lesche" type tool at the gardening section of a Meijer store near my house.It is Fiskars brand garden knife.What got me to buy this was the appearance resembles the lesches being sold on metal detection sites.I bought it for less than $10.00 and has a lifetime warranty.Although it doesn't come with a sheath,I am sure to find something that will both carry my pinpointer and "lesche" at a garage sale or thrift shop.
Another point I have discovered about metal detecting,why isn't there a duck,raccoon,dog poop target I.D.?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Mish.
I'm from LaPorte but now live in NC. I miss the midwest a lot. You should have plenty of old properties to hit back there both in town & out in the country. :thumbsup:
-MM-
The misplaced Hoosier. :tongue3:

xGregx

Feb 13, 2008
Elkhart,In
Detector(s) used
-=XP Deus=-At Pro=-
I live in elkhart and work out near sb airport (lunch time hunt) weee....

South bend home of all goose poop

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
mishawakian,
welcome.

"patience."
Yes, it is a hobby, enjoy. ;D

Hope you find a bunch. :thumbsup:

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE

xGregx

Feb 13, 2008
Elkhart,In
Detector(s) used
-=XP Deus=-At Pro=-
Theres a few of us in Elkhart and a couple more guys in south bend i know of...

suppose to be 26 and sunny today... time to break out the etrac hehe

Greg

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Where ya headed?

I was out Thursday and found most of the ground still frozen...but was able to find a few soft spots:)

Oh and by the way...not all Hoosier detectorists are men :icon_queen:

HH

OP
OP
mishawakian

mishawakian

Feb 16, 2009
Mishawaka,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizum IV
It's great to see a lot of local people.

I have been detecting most of the week since we had that last rain storm.I even went to Potato Creek in the rain.

Friday I drove around and hit the plowed snow banks.It was something different to do besides swinging the machine.I found a wallet and working with its owner to return it.

I have my son with me this weekend,I'm trying to get him away from the game systems and actually do something physically.We went and cleaned out this one area of a park.He was floored.

My total count for this month is $20.18.I figured I probably hunted about 80 hours.I did find what I believe is a silver heart shaped necklace pennant,but I cannot tell,it looks like it has been run over a few times and I cannot see the stamp or indication that it is silver (.925?).

Anyway maybe all of us locals could get together for lunch or something.

xGregx

Feb 13, 2008
Elkhart,In
Detector(s) used
-=XP Deus=-At Pro=-
Just got back from a 2 hour hunt just north of elkhart, Ground was frozen about an inch or so, Nothing special 4 wheats and some clad. the wind kicked our butts hehe, My son detects with me sometimes hes 10 he has a fisher F4.

925 would be silver,

HH
Greg

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I hovered around South Bend's southside. Dang...I'm achin' tonight...the ground was a brutal force today and one I semi-conquered w/ much zeal and joy..bring on Spring '09!

I found clad.

Sure..we should all do lunch, get to know the other local MD'ers :D

OP
OP
mishawakian

mishawakian

Feb 16, 2009
Mishawaka,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizum IV
My baby's momma came and got my son at 6pm.I went to a local park and got 37 cents clad and a house key after an hour.

The ground was crisp and somewhat hard.

I returned the found wallet with my son,hoping to get some kind of reward after trying to trace this guy at 2 different addresses.Maybe an ice cream or something, but I think my son learned a lesson on this one.

I'm going out to search the snow plowed areas again and maybe swing the detector tomorrow.

I have been laid off since the day after Superbowl.I can't wait around the house waiting to get called back to work,so I spend this free time I have, detecting.

If I was to take up that nasty habit called (golf),I bet you I would have a wicked back swing by now.

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
Im in Mishawaka too (***44),waiting for the weather to make up its mind (typical IN)...Id be hip to lunch or some kind of group hunt maybe eh?!

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
jerseydevl ...welcome!

And to all No. Hoosiers...I could possibly arrange a meeting place to just gather and show off our finds:)
Coffee on the house :coffee2:

And what about also including the local rock hounders?

Eh, could be fun...yes? :D

I'll be back in town next week!

OP
OP
mishawakian

mishawakian

Feb 16, 2009
Mishawaka,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizum IV
It's great to hear from some more locals.

I went out yesterday in the rain.I got about $10.00 in change, a (boogie) type board and a hockey puck.

I took the kids out today,but it was too cold for my liking.

I am available to meet anytime or place for coffee, but please allow time to schedule a meet.

I am looking forward to meet local detectionist and trade secrets and the like.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
ok, so...who's gonna initiate this group hunt????

I'll start..send me a PM and howse about next weekend? weather permitting, of ourse

OP
OP
mishawakian

mishawakian

Feb 16, 2009
Mishawaka,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizum IV
A friend came by today and offered me a job,I start tomorrow.It will be a pleasure to go back to work after being laid off since the SuperBowl.

I rented one of those power thatchers and I thatched my lawn today.Man am I sore!I had planned to rake the leavings tomorrow,but since I am called back to work I have to put it off until the weekend.

I did get out to detect a little and snow mound detect also,Its hard to believe that there is still snow mounds.

These snow mound "hunts" offered many finds,wallet,cellphone,keys,many coins,a 5 dollar bill,1 dollar bill,a corner off a 1 dollar bill,lighters and a mangled Ipod.I felt a little dirty(disgraced) after searching the mounds,like a bum digging in dumpsters,but I was at ease.Strange stuff you see in these mounds.I really am looking forward for next winters snow fall.

As for a hunt this weekend or next, keep me informed.

Maybe I can find some rake attachments for metal detectors and invite all the locals to my place for a hunt.

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mishawakian said:
I did get out to detect a little and snow mound detect also,Its hard to believe that there is still snow mounds.

I haven't seen a snow mound for atleast a month and I'm from Elkhart. Anyone ever hit Mishawaka Hills? There's another forum member on Tnet by the screen name Ivy Walls. I think he is from Mishawaka and he has found some great finds.

XGregX :snorting:, Sounds like Vibes put you in your place about women detecting. :laughing7:

Greg and I have tried Kamm's Island, but man talk about bad ground.

DJH

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Mishawakian, congrats on the new gig!

I've been in contact via e-mail w/ Greg, so where are the rest of the Michiana detectorists?

diggin jimmy hoffa, Kamms Island was a total bust for me. I've hunted every park, schoolyard in this area and my oldest find came out of Leeper Park, a 1878 penny.
You mention Mishawaka Hills, ya mean around the Sisters' house? I was always under the assumption that the Nuns were highly protective of their land.

What about Rum Village? Or George Wilson Park as a suggestion for a goup hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread