South Bend

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Bobby,

All the parks , school yards, tot lots, abandoned houses, old farm houses/fields are mine :evil7:

All kidding aside...we have some group hunts and are a fun-ny bunch:)

welcome to the hobby and HH

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
Bobby,

All the parks , school yards, tot lots, abandoned houses, old farm houses/fields are mine :evil7:

You forgot the beaches too :laughing7:

:thumbsup:

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
rc2125 said:
vibes said:
Bobby,

You forgot the beaches too :laughing7:

:thumbsup:

rc2125...damn, I KNEW I forgot something.

Ok, Bobby, beaches are mine too. Ask rc, he knows:)

AND rc....how ARE you? We haven't run into each lately! :-*

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With no big wave action in the big lake lately, didn't bother going out in the water, kinda switched gears to do some dog training this past weekend instead.

:icon_pirat:

OP
OP
B

BobbyH

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2010
thanks for the warm welcome. I have a quick question for you Pros. I found some coins today that I am not sure of the date or the coin. I tried washing them off with water but still can not dates or pictures. how would you suggest cleaning them? Thanks again

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BobbyH said:
thanks for the warm welcome. I have a quick question for you Pros. I found some coins today that I am not sure of the date or the coin. I tried washing them off with water but still can not dates or pictures. how would you suggest cleaning them? Thanks again
Welcome to the Indiana Forum :icon_thumleft:
If you are trying to clean some pennies to get a date off of them, you can take a potato (no kidding) and cut a small slit in it and slide the penny in. Leave it in there for a few hours or longer. For some reason, it works. My theory is that the Spud contains the moisture and is very dense and pushes the moisture into the dirt that is cake on. Another way is to take over the counter Peroxide and put some in a bowl and zap it in the microwave. Keep an eye on it while nuking it. Whenyou see it start spewing, take it out. Be careful though, as it will scalled you. Put the penny in and let it fizz. When the fizzing is done, you can take it out and should be able to get a date. If not, repeat the nuking process again.

This process works great and my Indian head look awesome with this procedure and it works on wheats too.

Make sure that you do not nuke the solution while you have the coin in it, as it will be a sparkler fest.

HH
DJH

OP
OP
B

BobbyH

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2010
It worked like a charm on the wheat pennies I found. Can this process be used on dimes and nickels?

thanks BH

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BobbyH said:
It worked like a charm on the wheat pennies I found. Can this process be used on dimes and nickels?

thanks BH
Which method did you use?

Nickels are hard to get clean if they are old, as they get a red tint to them. I've seen this in the Buffalo's and the V nickels. I have heard that regluar old Catsup will clean the nickels. Put some ketsup in a small bowl and let the nickel soak in it. I've tried it and the nickel came out a lighter shade of red and I think I should leave it in longer.

Dimes and Quarters, if silver should be easily readible, as silver looks nice and shiny out of the ground for the most part. Sometimes a silver coin will be dark, but I haven't experienced any silver that was so cruddy that I couldn't tell it was not silver.

If the coins you are finding are just modern clad coins, you can run them through a rock tumbler with white aquarium gravel and a bit of liquid dish soap. Do not run you copper pennies in with the silver colored coins, as the pennies will turn them a copper color.

If you dig a silver coin, the best way to clean it IMO, is to run it under the faucet and lightly brush it with a tooth brush.

Hopes this helps answer your questions and good luck poundin' the dirt.

DJH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread