Last edited:

ixer

Dec 11, 2011
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 & White's XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome, I'm new also and in the Jeffersonville area. Let me know if you want to hunt!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No metal detecting allowed in New Albany or Floyd county parks. :nono: :angry4:

OP
OP
Jeremy S

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just read this about Floyd County, bummer http://www.floydcounty.in.gov/ordinances/PDF-2000-2010/2003/FCO 2003-VIII.pdf

I was detecting in Corydon over the weekend with a friend when I was approached by a groundskeeper. He informed us that they are discussing banning metal detecting as well after some individuals have recently been digging holes and leaving them open, leaving garbage, and generally making a bad mess when they detect. He also said that the last time he approached a guy while detecting, the guy was real mouthy and the police had to be called to get rid of him. I was allowed to detect, but was warned to not leave a mess or any holes. Perhaps showing him the bag of trash that we had picked up and the fact that we did not leave any holes convinced him to let us stay.

Seems the idiots and jerks are going to ruin the hobby for the rest of us by burning our bridges with these parks.

Last edited:

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's somewhat typical of Floyd county. Can you guess who drafted that ordinance? New Albany allows adult bookstores across from churches, ugly billboards all over the county, and they worry about detectors in their parks. A better approach would have been to cite anyone found to be damaging the grounds.

Grew up in Floyd County, but live in Harrison County now.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have been interested in metal detecting for some time, but never pursued it due to lack of time. With being a collector of antiques and interesting old stuff, loving the outdoors, and enjoying the "thrill of the hunt"; it was only a matter of time until I got involved with this hobby.

My new toys should be arriving this week; A Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer, and Garrett Master Sound headphones.

I'm located in the Georgetown area, but am originally from Corydon. Am really looking forward to this spring!

Hey, JS...I am also new from So. Indiana, I'm near New Harmony on the Wabash River, I've been a Garrett user since '84, I just bought a GTP 1350 and love it, I have heard lots of good things about the ace series! Is there anything left from the Civil War action that occurred in Corydon?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a national historic site I believe which is off limits for detecting. HH
Hey, JS...I am also new from So. Indiana, I'm near New Harmony on the Wabash River, I've been a Garrett user since '84, I just bought a GTP 1350 and love it, I have heard lots of good things about the ace series! Is there anything left from the Civil War action that occurred in Corydon?

markkeele

Greenie
Sep 7, 2013
new salisbury
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro and whites dfx spectrum e
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im from new salisbury maybe we can hook up and go on a hunt

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several of us in southern Indiana! From Laconia here.

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000/DI Series 3
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
im from new salisbury maybe we can hook up and go on a hunt

markkeele,
Welcome to the forum. It's great you took a few minutes to register. I wish all the guest would take the time. It's been a few months since the other guys posted on this thread so you may want to private message them your request to get together for a hunt.

I also have a Coinmaster pro detector. Do you like your dfx? How does it compare to the Coinmaster pro? I know someone on the forum here thinking of buying one.

Now that your a member you have an option to Like any post you find interesting or helpful. Even if you dont post a reply it's nice to let the posters know you appreciate the time they spent posting. Good Hunting...........GRiley

markkeele

Greenie
Sep 7, 2013
new salisbury
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro and whites dfx spectrum e
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the dfx is far and above a better machine than the pro but that being said i use the pro alot more due to the fact that it more user friendly right out of the box. but the dfx is a little better at finding nickels than the pro is

OP
OP
Jeremy S

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Mark,

I find a lot of nickles because I think other people discriminate them out. Nickles are usually a solid 52 on my machine. Can tabs cab be tricky as they are usually a good repeatable signal anywhere in the 49-55 range. I've also found gold rings in that range. My hunting has been down to just a few days a week since its been hot and the ground is like concrete in some places. I mostly hunt across the river in KY though.

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hoosierguy and any others near Harrison County Indiana may find this Link interesting. It would be fantastic to find a piece of this. Also the site has great info on the history of Harrison County and it's townships. You may find some good leads for detecting.

Harrison County, Indiana Meteorites

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just read this about Floyd County, bummer http://www.floydcounty.in.gov/ordinances/PDF-2000-2010/2003/FCO 2003-VIII.pdf

I was detecting in Corydon over the weekend with a friend when I was approached by a groundskeeper. He informed us that they are discussing banning metal detecting as well after some individuals have recently been digging holes and leaving them open, leaving garbage, and generally making a bad mess when they detect. He also said that the last time he approached a guy while detecting, the guy was real mouthy and the police had to be called to get rid of him. I was allowed to detect, but was warned to not leave a mess or any holes. Perhaps showing him the bag of trash that we had picked up and the fact that we did not leave any holes convinced him to let us stay.

Seems the idiots and jerks are going to ruin the hobby for the rest of us by burning our bridges with these parks.
anyone using the parks for anything

I read those rules from the link and it sounds like they have banned anyone using the parks for anything. No using minnows to fish........Geez I would be embarrassed to have my name on that ordinance. They have banned everything.

One thing about holes in a park. I learned a long time ago from returning to a park a few days apart that many of my holes I filled in were dug out again. What was happening is dug and filled holes were attracting Squirrels.I guess the scent of dug soil attracks them. My guess is they think a nut was buried there. In a local park with a lot of squirrels at least 1/5 of my holes were dug back out two days later. So it's not always a metal detecting slob leaving them open. It could also be raccoons. They do the same thing. If you hunt a park go back in a few days and you will see what I mean.........GRiley

OP
OP
Jeremy S

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lawnmowers can pull up plugs, so can people walking over them if they are in a high traffic area.

I think that some of the "sloppy" digging that I have observed can be attributed to animals, mowers, and people. I still try to clean it up as I go. I have detected a lot of properties in Floyd County, many old houses and history.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone I'm in the Washington area :-)

Hey Ms. BH86, Ever hunt in Amish Country? I used to deliver for Roadway up in that part of Indiana many years ago. Washington, Montgomery, Odon, and Loogootee, never had time to go diggin' anywhere. Used to get a lot of horseshoe nails in my truck tires, Always wondered what one could dig up in Amish country...happy hunting.

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II & Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ms. BH86, Ever hunt in Amish Country? I used to deliver for Roadway up in that part of Indiana many years ago. Washington, Montgomery, Odon, and Loogootee, never had time to go diggin' anywhere. Used to get a lot of horseshoe nails in my truck tires, Always wondered what one could dig up in Amish country...happy hunting.

I've been wanting to but don't want to get shot by an Amish person.. don't think they would give anybody permission to hunt on their property...

crank bait

Nov 2, 2013
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy, im snowed in we got about 10 inches of that white stuff from the heavens 2day UGH!!!!! I think when the snow leaves it will be a great time to go MD the ground was not frozen before the stuff fell!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread