NWI

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Catanza I'm in South Bend also prefer metal detecting in the water in area lakes but it's still too cold for that. I just ordered a Lesche shovel so I can do some dirt digging in the local area. My knees don't do well digging in the ground a lot. If you want we can meet somewhere not this weekend cause I've gotta work but next weekend after would work. I usually end my detecting with a good crafted beer somewhere when I'm done metal detecting. Any way let me know.
Surgtech57

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey HistoryUnearthed,
Yep I just responded are you still here? I just reached out to new member Catanza to see if he'd like to go detecting sometime. How about you?
BTW I'm jealous that you have the CTX3030 and I don't lol
Surgtech57

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey LadyoftheLake,
That isn't totally correct. You can detect in the National Lakeshore out of season.You have to sign in when you do. Same applies to State Parks. I did get kicked out before I got the right information but have complied since then and not had any issues.
Surgtech57

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im going out tomorrow for sure in the morning . I don't have a spot in mind yet.. I hear that they have a few blocks of Victoria St in Mishawaka dug up for new sewers . PM me your # . I have a few people wanting to go tomorrow . Also was wondering how you do in the water ? Never hunted that way

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I was talking about next week cause I have to work this weekend.

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All good I'll hit you up. Went out today found 17 wheats and a lot of clad . In one hole pulled two wheats and what looks like a third one being a steel 1st for me

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That's awesome! Did you go where you said in Mishawaka?

wisconsinwalter

Feb 11, 2009
If I were you guys, I would do Columbia park and Irving Park. I grew up there 70-80's I wish I could do them. The hill across from Irving park where the south shore runs we used to sled there as children

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Where is Columbia Park? The South Shore ends in South Bend is it in South Bend?

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we ended up getting a permission on L.W.E. Just past Miami St in S.B. House was old as hell. I couldn't find a silver to save my life , my pops went with me didn't dig a quarter of the coins I did using my old ace 400 but pulled a 45 walker and a sterling ring . Just wasn't a silver day for me .......

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Walter thx for the info . The parks around here are hammered , sometimes I go to Potawatomi park by the zoo have to work so hard to find anything, all the easy ones are gone people have hunted it hard since the 70s . Last time I went I did find a few IHPs but i dug a lot of deep iron to get them. A 12' deep nail sounds so good sometimes

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Just read your post about Potawatomi Park, and in my view it really hasn't been over hunted, just over slawwed with pull tabs old and new to where it's really frustrating and you begin to feel like and unpaid city cleanup crew member. LOL

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know ..... Should be some old silver there . Something seated is on my list for the year.

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
What I've wanted to search is the ND parking lot north of the campus after one of the football games. Have you ever hit that type area?

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't yet. Only been detecting for a year. Wife got me a cheep bounty hunter as a joke gift for xmas, found a merc and I was hooked . She ended up buying me a at pro 6 months later for a bday gift. So needless to say I haven't hit a lot . I've hit a lot of empty lots by ND on the east side and some parks. Still working on the permission thing, I gotten a few..... But seems like a hard thing to do around here. As far as finds, large cent, 20 or so IHPs, 3 silver rings 1 14k, 15 dimes oldest 1902, slq,walker,a silver Washington, civil war buttons one with Indiana state flag. G.A.R metal from San Francisco, gruber 5 cent scrip token. Cool odds and ends to many to list . Need less to say I'm hooked seemed like a good first year.

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Catanza,
Gotta tell you that for only having been detecting for one year and dirt digging at that you are doing all the right things. Your finds exceed mine in the old coins as I've only found one IHP and no silver coins as yet. But more than 95% of my detecting has been has been in water at various lakes. This will be the beginning of my fourth season detecting I have learned a lot yet still have much to learn. You use the AT Pro which was my second choice but since it didn't do well in salt water I went with the Excal II. What I did using Treasurenet was seek out the people who were the most knowledgeable in two areas first in using the Excal II and I read all their post and also pick their brains. It really helped me along the learning curve of the Excal II. Second I sought everything I could about fresh and saltwater metal detecting and found members that excelled in those areas regardless of the machine they used. The knowledge I've gained and continue to get I believe has made me better each of the years I've detected. So now I'm a lil more curious about dirt digging because I want other avenues to metal detect and I'm looking forward to this season. Actually looking forward to detecting with you as I'm sure you're leaps ahead of me in that area plus you use the machine I would if I were to only detect on dry land. You are also lucky that your wife encourages your hobby. Lori my better half doesn't give a hoot about metal detecting though I wish she were into it.
Any way way to go the other day I call that an awesome day!

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx man .... I get lucky sometimes. Still learning every time I go out. Sounds like my cousin got us 2 permissions for Saturday at a few nice houses, hope you get your 1st silver coin.

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never hunted Elkhart . If you got any big permissions ........ Always have a few people with me. Hit me up

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread