Indiana Treasure hunting?

BOHUNTZ

Greenie
Jan 4, 2007
CARMEL INDIANA
Detector(s) used
GARRET 250
I recently moved to Indiana after retiring from law enforcement in Florida. My wife is from Attica IN and her family has a farm in that area. Many years past I use to trasure hunt in Florida. I am getting back in to Treasure hunting after seeing many old home sites and people looking for gold and whatever in the many creeks and gullys in the area. Would be glad to find some one in central Indiana who shares this interest and would like to plan hunts.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Welcome to Treasurenet and back to this wonderful hobby. There are some great folks here from Indiana so hopefully you will be able to hook up soon.

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
WHOA BOOG!
NICE digger....bring that thing up to Elkhart when ya get a chance......look me up if ya want to go swinging(md that is) in the area.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello BOHUNTZ, Welcome to the forum...
Your original post must have slipped by me back on the 12th. I'm located here on the westside of Indy.
I haven't been getting out except for a few quick hunts, ex-specially since winter hit. I mainly hit some of the older parks here in town, but would love to hook up sometime, maybe this spring..., to do some serious hunting...
Until then,,, hope to see ya on the forum...
Good luck, & Happy hinting~

OP
OP
BOHUNTZ

BOHUNTZ

Greenie
Jan 4, 2007
CARMEL INDIANA
Detector(s) used
GARRET 250
Thanks for the replys, will be glad when spring comes around.
have seen a few places that will be fun to hunt.

T

treasurejack

I've lived in Indiana all my life and I've done a lot of reseach on potential areas, problem is that Indiana hasn't got "a lot" of early history with most of it's towns not being settled until well into the mid to late 1800's. However, the best coin shooter I ever knew did most of his Indiana metal detecting in the older "inner city" parts of town because in his words, "this is where most of the older activity took place." Makes sense I guess, as he would always say, "can't find old coins where old coins ain't." I did a little piece on this issue at my website if you want to check it out. http://www.adventurequestusa.com but it is just a very brief summary of this man's point of view.

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
I'm a newbie, but I live up in Kokomo. There is also a couple up in Wabash that is active.

I have seen other hoosiers in a couple of other places on the net. it's too bad, if everyone would consolidate to a message board we would have quite a large group.

serpent

Feb 16, 2004
Good lord almighty. You have come from Florida, the state with the most Spanish treasure on its beaches, civil war treasures of the Confederacy, not to mention huge pirate and Indian treasure. If your just getting excited about all of this by coming to indiana then get ready for a shock. Your switching to 1945 quarters as opposed to silver pieces of eight.

E

EYEOFJAB

Newbie from Fortville IN, About ten minutes north east of greenfield. Any ideas of places and get togethers I'm all in. Been trying to find some good coins in Pendleton this last month, nothing serious but I'm hitting the library this week.

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Lotta legends of hidden Indian silver mines centuries ago going back to Spanish times....

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Putnam county - in 1845 State Geologist Smith wrote Gold has been found in Mosquito creek south of Putnamville.

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there is glacier gold in Putnam County. I have found some in just about every creek I have panned in. I will never get rich from the amounts but it is nice to get out and spend time in teh peace and quiet.

grinder

Nov 15, 2008
Brownsburg in
Detector(s) used
White mxt
Primary Interest:
Other
I am fromn Putnam County. I started using a White MXT a little over six years ago. My favorite search sites are old schooll buidlings which I research at the library. Of course, most of the time it's just a field. And you are right, most of these places don't go much fuirther back thatn the middle 1850s. I always look at this way, it is proably a lot harder to find things but often what you do find is old and good. Now I have found CIvil War buckle (cats paw), some solid silver old dimes, and quarters. such as Barber dimes and quarters. three years ago, I moved about 50 miles away to an old area of Henricks County, Indiana. So you might say I have had to start all over with my research. Which after three years has led me to three old county schools which go back to about the same date in time as PUtnam county since Brownsburg town was established in about 1848. I would enjoy hearing back from you interested in how you research. UI have found that this is a hobby you really get hooked on especially if you lvoe histroy. The more you search the deeper you get into history.

Happy Hunting! :)
look forward to hearing from you

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Grinder to T-Net. Nice to see another Putnam County resident here. I have researched for along time the areas in central and northern Putnam County. I have old maps copied from the late 1800's, Sanborn maps for Roachdale and Greencastle, as well as I read the old personal histories of the county that are on file at the library. I have found that there is more available for Putnam County than there is for Hendricks County in the way of maps on file. Now with the weather cold and the ground freezing it is time to switch to research mode instead of search mode, so I will be at the library quite a bit reading and copying all the info I can get my hands on. I am always willing to pass along and share any info I have to help a fellow MD'er and am always looking for company on hunts. Just send me a mail or PM me and maybe we can find time to get together to share info.

Curt

[email protected]

rayc50

Apr 11, 2008
East Central Illinois
Hello, Hoosier Hunters! I live in east central Illinois...about 23 miles west of Terre Haute along the Old National Road (route 40). I've done a lot of genealogy research on my relatives and a lot of them came from Scott County, Indiana...the location of the Pigeon Roost Massacre. Scott County was first settled in 1805 by John Kimberlin who came to that area from Kentucky. I'm attaching a website that may offer some info, or at least a start for some of you Hoosier THers that may live in that area or may be interested. I haven't had the opportunity to travel to that area, but my sister and mother have been there and visited some of the cemeteries where our ancestors are buried. The Richeys, Finleys and Collings were my ancestors who settled there....plus a few more. Hope this might give someone a good lead on some of the early settlements in that area. HH Ray http://genealogytrails.com/ind/scott/

Kenny Barton

Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Surfmaster Pi, Shadow x-2,Garrett, Ace250, Tesoro Silver u-max Fishers CZ-7
Hi

I live in W. Terre Haute just off Darwin road.
How about Rayco

Regards

HH

rayc50

Apr 11, 2008
East Central Illinois
Hey, Kenny!! Nice to meet ya'!! I live north of Martinsville, Illinois, about 5 miles north of I-70. Let's get together sometime and see if we can find some areas either on your side of the world or mine. I know there are some old settlements and homesteads down around Darwin, Hutsonville and Palestine. How about your side??? HH Ray

lufin

Jan 29, 2007
SouthCentral Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher C/Z-6
rayc50 said:
Hello, Hoosier Hunters! I live in east central Illinois...about 23 miles west of Terre Haute along the Old National Road (route 40). I've done a lot of genealogy research on my relatives and a lot of them came from Scott County, Indiana...the location of the Pigeon Roost Massacre. Scott County was first settled in 1805 by John Kimberlin who came to that area from Kentucky. I'm attaching a website that may offer some info, or at least a start for some of you Hoosier THers that may live in that area or may be interested. I haven't had the opportunity to travel to that area, but my sister and mother have been there and visited some of the cemeteries where our ancestors are buried. The Richeys, Finleys and Collings were my ancestors who settled there....plus a few more. Hope this might give someone a good lead on some of the early settlements in that area. HH Ray http://genealogytrails.com/ind/scott/

Well, that's interesting. My great great great grand pappy came up from Ky. too. And for some reason added the D.
WOW! I can't believe the summer went so fast. We started working 7 days a week right after my last post, sometime in Feb. 08, and with everything going on didn't even think about Treasure Net again till last night when a friend stopped in and started talking about his new detector. We are going out this afternoon to do a little M/Ding. Supposed to get up to 36 or 38 and sunny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread