hunting in logansport

mike1

May 21, 2013
north liberty indana
Detector(s) used
ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
anyone ever hunt there? im gona try where a famhouse used to be i hope to find old coins like drapped busts and half dimes and maybe some copper stuff i mean they did just dig a hole and buldoze the house right into a hole. i am a scrapper to so i guess it benifits me both ways there is alot of scrap in the woods two old buses and other things. im gona look around where the house used to be maybe someoone buried a jar of coins how likely is it that the glass mason jars would have survived or did they use something other that those to put coins in? anyone ever found dollar coins or 3 cent silver? whats the hardest coin to find when digging i bet its the 3 cent silver. how often did they use gold coins in the 1800s? anyone ever found a gold coin how far down do the old coins usually lay at? i found wheats 4 inches. my uncle owns the property so no one else goes on it so i should get a good amount of things. i think as far as i know the house has only been to family members.

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000/DI Series 3
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
anyone ever hunt there? im gona try where a famhouse used to be i hope to find old coins like drapped busts and half dimes and maybe some copper stuff i mean they did just dig a hole and buldoze the house right into a hole. i am a scrapper to so i guess it benifits me both ways there is alot of scrap in the woods two old buses and other things. im gona look around where the house used to be maybe someoone buried a jar of coins how likely is it that the glass mason jars would have survived or did they use something other that those to put coins in? anyone ever found dollar coins or 3 cent silver? whats the hardest coin to find when digging i bet its the 3 cent silver. how often did they use gold coins in the 1800s? anyone ever found a gold coin how far down do the old coins usually lay at? i found wheats 4 inches. my uncle owns the property so no one else goes on it so i should get a good amount of things. i think as far as i know the house has only been to family members.

Hi Mike,
Its a shame you could not have hunted it before they messed up the ground burying the house. You would have had a better chance. You did not mention if the ground is high weeds or cut grass. The closer you can get to the ground the better.

Indiana is a great state to hunt. Getting permission from land owners is the hard part. No gold coins for me yet. I have found lots of silver, no dollars. I have found an 1861 half dime. That's the smallest silver I have found. I have found Barber, Mercury, Liberty, Franklin, Kennedy and Washington silver. I have found large cents, Indian cents, wheat cents and of course memorial cents. I have found V nickles as well as buffalo and war nickles. Quite a bit of old jewelry and quite a few Union Civil War buttons.

Many tokens, toys and lots of other artifacts. I have found some arrow heads and other Indian tools as well as modern paper money just from looking at the ground while detecting. Once I found a half of a ten dollar bill along a fence row that was recently mowed. I spent hours looking for the other half that day with no luck.

I have hunted in Cass county a couple times around Walton, South of Logansport. I found a Large cent, Indian and wheat cents as well as a couple silver dimes and a buffalo nickle there.

Most coins I find are less than 5 inches deep. I would say the majority are about 3 1/2. Of course there are some much deeper. In heavy clay soil they are usually shallower. In Gardens, Flower beds and plowed fields they can be quite deep. In areas prone to flooding they are usually deeper. You will get surprised once in a while and find an old coin almost on top of the ground and new ones 6 inches deep.

Good Luck with your hunt. Let us know how you do.........G

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mike1

May 21, 2013
north liberty indana
Detector(s) used
ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks i will im not sure of the grass it probably is long i would guess maybe not it should be fun.

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000/DI Series 3
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike,
How did the hunt go?........GRiley

Top Member Reactions