SkinNFluff

Dec 27, 2014
Harrison County, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SkinNFluff's Journal

Well I have been planning this thread for a while and finally got around to starting it. My 9 year old son was watching random videos he found on youtube one day when he found one bu nuggetnoggin. Watching that one video was all it took. He wanted a metal detector and he wants to find treasure. This happened just before Christmas so I began researching the different brands of detectors. After seeing the prices I let him know that one was out of my price range at the moment. That was when he asked if he would be able to return all the toys he might get for Christmas and buy one himself. Now anybody with a kid knows they wait all year for Christmas. Well my son couldn't wait until after Christmas so that he could return the stuff to order his metal detector. I informed him that he would need to do some research to learn about what he may find here in our area. He has been studying local history ever since.

After Christmas he returned all his toys and was above what he needed for the Garrett Ace 250 so I decided that I would pitch in the difference and get him the Ace 350. While waiting for it to arrive we took a trip out to a flea market. He said that he needed a treasure bag to keep all of his treasures in while he would be out detecting. We found a mil surplus booth and scored him a vest and bags. After we left there I swung over to harbor freight and picked him up the cheap pinpointer that they sell. Now he is ready to go out and find treasure.

My son's desire for hunting treasure is something he was born with. From the time he started walking he started stealing the change I left on my desk and filling his pockets. From there he would hunt for round glass stones that I had accidentally scattered in our gravel driveway. On his 7th birthday we lost our home. Guess who was by my side digging through the rubble for what ever we could salvage. Due to living in a flood plain we could not rebuild on that property and were forced to move. We bought a new place not far from where we were, but the property had been vacant for many many years. The very first day on the property my boy found a mason jar out in the woods and brought it to me. He was so excited about his find because at the time we were living in the garage during winter and had nothing. When he handed me the jar he found he asked if it was a good find. I jokingly said that it sure was because that is one less that we would need to buy. He smiles and told me he was glad he was able to find something that would help us save money. Since then he has found a lot of treasures on the property and loves going out hunting for them. I never really thought about it much until now but after typing this post I guess a metal detector is just a natural progression that started many years ago.

Well without wasting any more time I would like to introduce you to Paul, the son I am so very proud of.

DSC02708 (Custom).JPG

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there
Thats Brilliant. I often watch NuggetNoggins videos and think how proud his parents must be of him. It's great to see other young people follow in his footsteps. You are right to be proud.
Paul sounds very determined, and I am sure he will have big success in the hobby. I hope you post all the great finds, and build a lifetime of memories thru the treasure hunts together.
The Ace is a brilliant machine and the treasures are out there. Dying to see him on the banner.
Very best of luck, and keep us posted

Rory

OP
OP
SkinNFluff

SkinNFluff

Dec 27, 2014
Harrison County, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mr.t. He is looking forward to spring at this point. The ground is frozen so digging is currently out. He has walked around to see if he could find any signals and he found out this whole property (10 acres) is giving him signals no matter where he is looking. For now there is more research in in order. And to help out on those lines he will be reading The New Successful Coin Hunting book by Charles Garrett. This book was given to Paul by one of the members right here on TNet who goes by ATProAdam. Paul's face lit up when he got his new book in the mail. Adam, if you were here you would have gotten a huge hug from him. Thank you.

DSC02710 (Custom).JPG

OP
OP
SkinNFluff

SkinNFluff

Dec 27, 2014
Harrison County, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well seeing that digging is not possible there is nothing stopping Paul from hunting. He has been hunting fossils and quartz in the dry creek that runs through our property. The world has so much to offer and teach us, and he is always finding new and amazing things when he goes exploring. Here are some of his finds from a single days hunt.

DSC02711 (Custom).JPG

DSC02712 (Custom).JPG

DSC02715 (Custom).JPG

DSC02716 (Custom).JPG

And his single best find of the day.

DSC02699 (Custom).JPG

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mr.t. He is looking forward to spring at this point. The ground is frozen so digging is currently out. He has walked around to see if he could find any signals and he found out this whole property (10 acres) is giving him signals no matter where he is looking. For now there is more research in in order. And to help out on those lines he will be reading The New Successful Coin Hunting book by Charles Garrett. This book was given to Paul by one of the members right here on TNet who goes by ATProAdam. Paul's face lit up when he got his new book in the mail. Adam, if you were here you would have gotten a huge hug from him. Thank you.

View attachment 1106593

That makes my day seeing him holding the book. Hope he enjoys it.

OP
OP
SkinNFluff

SkinNFluff

Dec 27, 2014
Harrison County, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few days ago Paul was sure the ground was not frozen and decided to show me that I was wrong. I guess I should look into a better small digging tool for him now. Now to see if this one will be covers under ts warranty.

DSC02719 (Custom).JPG

OP
OP
SkinNFluff

SkinNFluff

Dec 27, 2014
Harrison County, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well in light of one digging tool breaking a new one is born. It got up to 54 degrees here today so I decided to take full advantage of the warm weather and get some work done. The total cost spent on this shovel was $3. The shovel head was found in the woods by Paul. The paint was just a partial can I had left from a prior project. The only thing I bought was the 1" pipe and the 1.25" pipe and 1.5" angle. Excuse the ugly welds. Paul decided to name his new shovel Mr. Fluffy.

DSC02723 (Custom).JPG

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you post your fossil pics down in the fossil section, somebody will probably be able to identify it. If the fossils are in limestone like they are around here, you can soak them in some vinegar to remove some of the stone. I think the second one is a criniod stem but don't quote me on that. There are also arrowheads to look for.

You'll have to help him learn the machine. I'm not familiar with the 350 but I assume it has some discrimination and other settings. Lay out some targets to see how the machine responds to different metals and to better pinpoint before you start the hole. I put some coins, pulltab,etc on a piece of cardboard. Put them face down and see if he can tell what each one is. He'll have to learn how to dig a nice hole or your yard is going to look like a WWII battlefield. LOL

Just wait until he learns that the glaciers brought gold down from Canada.

I think you're going to be a busy guy keeping up with him!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SkinNFluff

SkinNFluff

Dec 27, 2014
Harrison County, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wait until he learns that the glaciers brought gold down from Canada.

I think you're going to be a busy guy keeping up with him!!

He learned about that last month. Homeschooling has it's advantages. I will be posting pic's of his birthday presents soon. I am sure he will like what he is getting,

pink? really

Would you want to be seen with it? A few years back my garden tools started growing legs and wandering off. After a while I painted the handles on all the ones that were left hot pink. I think the tools got some sort of complex over it because after that not a single one left the tool shed. It's almost like they were too embarrassed to be seen anymore. Bottom line is pink tools are less likely to be stolen.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search the dry creekbed with a uv light-diamonds and emeralds.

OP
OP
SkinNFluff

SkinNFluff

Dec 27, 2014
Harrison County, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Struck out on metal detecting today, but we were able to dig up a lot of junk. Tin cans, alum cans, nails, and pull tabs mostly. Moved on to rock hunting for more quartz and fossils. I found a solid, softball sized quartz, but was again outdone by Paul when he came walking up with his arrow head he found. He proudly proclaimed this to be the best day of his entire life.

xDSC02727.JPG

xDSC02728.JPG

xDSC02729.JPG

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNet! I grew up in Corydon, lots of history in that area.

When your son gets some good practice digging neat plugs and really learns his new detector, start knocking on some doors and looking for permission to hunt different places. Private property produces the best finds by far. Ask family and friends, I bet some of them own old homes or property where an old house once stood.

I usually only post in the "Garrett" sub forum on here. There are lots of great guys there who will give you some sound advice on the 350.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there-

I've never found an arrow head- that's very cool.

Here's two things that might be worth having for your searches.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/bottles-glass/446158-i-bought-myself-my-first-probe.html

and

The probe is made pretty easily with a bit of rebar, grinding the tip into an acorn type shape so as it doesn't scratch stuff. What the old timers used.
Goes deeper than any detector on here!

A long screwdriver is a great help also. I haven't dug a can in a long time. Very distinctive sound.

Anyways.

happy hunting!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, your comment was out of line....Not everyone understands your humor, especially new members.. I have asked in the past to not use it on new members. .

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

OP
OP
SkinNFluff

SkinNFluff

Dec 27, 2014
Harrison County, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Paul tried his hand at coin roll hunting for the first time yesterday and scored his very first silver. A 1943 p nickle. He also scored a couple wheat cents. Paul was also very excited about being able to fill a few new slots in his coin books.

In the mineral world Paul removed the first quartz crystal he had found from the Oxalic acid bath that it has been soaking in. The results were amazing! The crystal looked better than ether of us expected it to. We added a few more stones in the bath to soak. I think I need to start getting some before and after pics of some of these crystals he is cleaning, but I am going to hold off until we have a better understanding for the process.

Metal detecting turned up nothing special. Just a bunch of trash. But at least this stuff is out of the ground now. Once we dig out all the trash we might start finding some treasure.

DSC02725 (Custom).JPG

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrowhead, fossils, silver, geode? and bullets. You weren't kidding on him being a keen hunter. That scrap metal is worth money as well. It Adds up. Very Cool!

OP
OP
SkinNFluff

SkinNFluff

Dec 27, 2014
Harrison County, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul got hurt while cooking yesterday just after I posted. He learned boiling water and skin do not do good when combined. He will be ok though. Changing his bandage 3 times a day and keeping it clean. What a great way to spend the 2 year anniversary of our house fire. His birthday is in a couple days so I will be posting up his new toys after that. For a child who goes hunting daily I think the worst part for him is that we are not allowing him to do so until his burn heals. I wont be able to keep him from it for too long though. During his "down time" he will work on research and cleaning more of his stones.

seabee89

Jan 7, 2015
Pike County Indiana
Detector(s) used
The old Radio Shack Special...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of history there in your area, so he should have some good luck! I'm from the Vincennes area. Hope he has many good days and much luck. The arrowhead is awesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread