SW indiana hunters

seabee89

Jan 7, 2015
Pike County Indiana
Detector(s) used
The old Radio Shack Special...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see from digging through some of the posts that there are folks in Franscisco, Princeton, Evansville, etc that TH. Are there any clubs or group hunts in the area? I have an 8 year old step son that just received his first (cheap) detector, and we moved to the Pike County area a year ago. I want to take him out but am unsure where to go since I haven't ran around these coal hills too much unless its chasing a deer. Any info is super!

Jerry P

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2016
Farmersburg Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett A/T Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever make it up to Sullivan County let me know. Have a nice place for relic hunting.

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you done your yard? Have you done your neighbors yard? It seems to me that you need a permission. Go out on a recon, drive and look for old farmhouses. If you live in a small town look for old houses there. If you see cars in the driveway go up and knock on the door and ask. Tell them your name and where your from and that metal detecting is your hobby and their yard looks perfect to dig up. Before you even knock on the door you got a fifty percent chance they will say yes. If they say no tell em thanks anyway and move on. I personally would line this up first before dragging you son around all day looking for a place. If you want something to happen, make it happen. I wish you and yours the best of luck.

PS Don't forget about the parks if allowed. Great place to start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

seabee89

Jan 7, 2015
Pike County Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've hit the yard and are working the neighbors now when the weather is warm. I have some spots lined up for him. I would like to let him tag team with some other hunters and myself this summer.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't say dig up their yard, I make sure they know I can dig a target and leave it like I wasn't even there. HH

Leatherneck2111

Aug 3, 2012
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just down hwy 57 in Gibson County is Doneghala Rd. along the old canal system..... There are some spots worth checking out where some taverns stood while the canal was being built. A bit of research on the canal and where the towns along it stood would be a good starting point for you both to get started.

Good luck.

Jim

Also, check the Pike and Gibson County records for old schools in the area from the 1800's on.... Some good finds are to be had.

Last edited:

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr Seabee89... My apologies if I might have mislead you in anyway when I stated that their yard looks perfect for digging up. That was my dry humor coming out and there are some people who don't get it. I'm sure you would in no means dig up someones yard and leave it looking like it had been war stricken. Once again I wish you the best of luck in searching for other people to hook up with in your area. GL & HH.

OP
OP
S

seabee89

Jan 7, 2015
Pike County Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all good. Way I look at it, I'm getting the trash out of the yard and what he doesn't tear up, the moles probably will!:icon_thumright:

Leatherneck2111

Aug 3, 2012
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some checking and was told by two folks that you should check with Oakland City University as they have had detector clubs in the past and may still.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread