zippi

Mar 28, 2018
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,

I'm thinking about getting a detector and with the hard ground around here I was wondering what others have found to be a better detector to buy. I've been looking at the Whites Coin Master. What do you guys find to work better in this area. I'm in Evansville, IN right at the boarder of KY.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think your going to do this hobby for a while I would look for a good used detector, that way you'll get more for your money and won't be looking to upgrade when you find some nice stuff and get hooked. It takes time to learn the detector no matter what one you buy so don't think you will instantly be finding the good stuff, I would look for a good used white's MXT as they are deep as any high end detector out there with the right coil on it. Good luck and HH

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to keep the metal detector simple with as few layers of screens as possible. A used mid-level detector from one of the major manufacturers. Fishers, Whites, Teknetics and Garrett have several models. Minelab & Deus units tend to be on the higher priced level. Have fun. Great hobby!

OP
OP
zippi

zippi

Mar 28, 2018
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. I think I have settled on a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. I told my wife it would be a nice 65th birthday present in May. If I don't get it I'll buy it myself. I'm ready to get started.

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
zippi

I'm not familiar with Bounty Hunters but you'll love MD'ing. Be careful though! It's addicting. Southern Indiana has a lot of great history. Hope you find a lot of it.

Welcome to the Forum.

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zippi, you'll be happy with that detector and as others have said, learn what it's telling you. Bury some coins and trash and use that to practice. Make sure you dig some of the old style pulltabs because they will be hanging out with the gold rings!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If you haven't jumped yet, maybe take a look on here in the for sale section, and then on Craigslist for a Tesoro Tejon.

It may even become the only detector you ever use = simple and deep, and of course one of the most capable machines I've every used.

OP
OP
zippi

zippi

Mar 28, 2018
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here I am getting all jacked up about my new found hobby and I never thought about where to hunt and can I hunt. Anyone know any good spots to hunt around the Evansville area?

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tnet…………………………………………………………..:hello2:

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Old campground location near Evansville.

Old camp ground 1863.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
zippi

zippi

Mar 28, 2018
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ordered my Land Ranger Pro today. Couldn't find the cheaper prices anymore. Ended up paying $256 + tax but I did get Free shipping. I'm getting all jacked up about starting my new hobby. I did find out that the local 4-H fair grounds is ok to dig. Ken135....thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread