Lookin

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't believe that the federal mining laws have anything to do with this. This is a state effort, where the mining laws address federal lands - primarily out West.

If this goes through, I'll just head to Illinois or Ohio to find that glacial gold. Indiana will miss out on my dollars spent.

Lots of yeller in your pan,
Lookin

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just saying - federal lands are federal lands. The 1872 mining law is for federal lands (until they change it, I suppose).

More than 1 western state has lost the battle against the 1872 mining law (state vs. federal), and was just wondering if anyone had followed up on that.

A mining company just won a BIG battle in Arizona against the private and state sector (using the mining law).

Just curious, but what you mean is that it is NOT federal land, but state land?

B

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually after reading the link here is what it says:

The new rules would lump “recreational prospecting” into the same category as someone using a backhoe to dig creek gravel. The new rules would affect both navigable and non-navigable (private property) creeks and rivers. The Natural Resources Commission may be overstepping their legal authority and violating the Indiana Constitution by trying to regulate private property.

So they are going after the whole thing. So it would even effect me and where I pan every once in a while on my Aunt's property. In feeder creeks as well as on Big Walnut Creek which the property line is in the middle of the creek so on their side I am able to pan due to it is their property.

The State of Indiana is going after everything, and not wanting to leave anywhere to go.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the IDNR is now working with the Indiana prospectors in correcting the wording to seperate the "recreational" prospecting from commercial mining. but they have a stipulation on dredges currently for a 1 1/2 inch dredges to be the max. Chuck lassiter and others are working to correct this. i might add that the Nature Conservacy is a BIG spender/supporter for the IDNR and they are big land owners in Indiana also.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Indiana is mostly privately owned land like most of the land east of the Mississippi River. the trick is to do your mining on private land with the owners permission. theres a big outting getting ready for all in Indiana the first days of may. goto www.midwestprospector.com and read about it. you can paypal in advance to attend. only prepaid for attendance.im signed up to go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions