Harrison county maps ( homestead)

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start at your Library they should have every map you will need! If they dont you could always place a want ad in newspaper. Someone may call. A current plat book will help that can be found at Library most likely.
Bunch of websites about maps,and you could find some posts on T-NET about maps.

It's a start.

OP
OP
IAsoldier

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the library but some how they misplaced them. Only one I found was a 1931 atlas and a 1884 town plots but still a good find.

rayc50

Apr 11, 2008
East Central Illinois
Hi, Iowa THers! I'm from east central Illinois and have been doing some research on the Birch gang. John (Old Coon) Birch homesteaded about 8 miles southwest of Marshall, Illinois, about 1832, and I only live about 18 miles from that area. His son was one of the main characters in the Birch Gang and was finally brought down because of the murder of Col. Davenport. One of the hideouts for the Birch Gang was provided by Old Grant Redden near Montrose, Iowa, in Lee County. It was stated by Edward Bonney that some of their 'loot' was buried in jars sealed with beeswax near the Redden hideout. I'm providing two websites, one of antique maps of Iowa and another of the story of the Birch gang. If anyone finds out anything about Old Grant Reddens homestead, I would sure be interested. HH Ray http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/United_States/Iowa/ http://www.olivercowdery.com/smithhome/1850s/1850band.htm#title

OP
OP
IAsoldier

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill have to take a peak at it. Thanks for the info and HH. Later Terry

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
Hi All:
If you can find it look for a book named Bandidi of the Praire, it has a wealth of info on the Birch gang and others, tought book to find but good to have. A friend of mine had it and traveled the gangs paths in the mid 70's, I had a chance to read it and did but did not have the copiers at the time to make a copy. He has since passed and I contacted the family about it to purchase the book. He had loaned it out and they do not know to whom it went. Great little book. :thumbsup:Hardrock

rayc50

Apr 11, 2008
East Central Illinois
Hey, Hardrock! I'm putting the 'Banditti of the Prairie' story here for all of you. This is the website. Contains the entire story. I've been researching this for quite a while. John 'Old Coon' Birch's homestead is just 8 miles southwest of Marshall, Illinois, and have been researching that also. However, 'Old Grant Redden's' hideout isn't in Illinois as some have suspected and/or written about. The Montrose that Edward Bonny is referring to is in Lee County, Iowa, as you will find out when you read the story. Good Luck!! HH Ray http://www.olivercowdery.com/smithhome/1850s/1850band.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread