Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Daily empire. (Dayton, Ohio), 01 June 1867
1.jpg
The Daily empire. (Dayton, Ohio) 1865-1867, June 01, 1867, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

The Lincoln County herald. (Troy, Lincoln County, Mo.), 07 June 1867.
2.jpg
The Lincoln County herald. (Troy, Lincoln County, Mo.) 1865-1873, June 07, 1867, Image 4 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice of you to post this one Jeff, I have copies of what I believe is all the newspaper articles covering the Tom Kelly treasure. They were given to me by Thomas Terry when I lived by in Wisconsin along with his hand written notes. There is plenty covered in the articles including the water project in 1914 when a bunch of old silver coins were found dated 1810-1867, these were also thought to be a portion of his buried wealth. Lots of leads to locations that could hold something. Looks like only a portion is private property today.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The first newspaper article is dated 5-16-1867 and is about his death, from the Dubuque Daily Herald where he lived.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Other articles were carried in a second Dubuque newspaper, the Dubuque Telegraph Herald, one dated 12-15-1857 and another of a date unknown.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The story was kept alive with more gold coins found in 1868. The buried treasure resurfaced in the news in 1906 when a company obtained mineral rights and expections were high more would be found.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Over time locals forgot about Tom Kelly and the treasure, but in 1914 police had to be brought in to control the crowd that flocked to a reservoir project where a cache of old silver coins was unearthed. When will the newspapers carry the next Tom Kelly treasure story? Maybe tomorrow.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Very soon a book will be released on old Tom kelly according to something I remember seeing

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
A book store in Dubuque wants to carry our book on the old misers money. Waiting on numbers and other details to see if feasible. No one appears to have ever covered the story before.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Got a contract in an email, working on release article for the book that I guess will be in local paper. The store that will carry the book will be River Lights book store on main Street. Just a few weeks away is my guess.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The national Mississippi River museum in Dubuque picked up the book some months back. I probably should call and see if they need to reorder.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
DUBUQUE TELEGRAPH HERALD,
Dubuque, Iowa
Sept. 4, 1914

TOM KELLY’S BURIED TREASURE FOUND.
Old Story Of Kelly’s Buried Wealth Develops From Romantic Tale
Into Reality Friday.
The question of what became of Kelly’s money was for many years not discovered. Many believed the hidden wealth of the pioneer miner rested in the earth in which he had concealed it. Intending that it would not be safe in the bank.
While workmen engaged in digging the new reservoir on Kelly’s Bluff were hoisting a crane Friday morning when their notice was attracted by a glittering substance under the dirt, odd rocks. It was a pile of silver coins, dimes, half dollars, and dollars to the amount of $350. The coins were the coins for various dates from 1810 to 1868, and the half-dollar pieces were slightly larger than those of the present, differing also in the engraving and design.
The news of the find spread like wildfire and the hill was soon swarming with boys and men who had long cherished the idea of the gold. “Kelly’s Gold”. They left no stone unturned in their quest for more, eagerly digging up the earth.
The history of Tom Kelly goes back to the early 30s when he came here to work in the then little mining village. His work was successful and the mines yielded him enormous wealth. With his sister, they lived as hermits, beholden with no one and devoted their lives to amassing a fortune. Upon his death, she searched his property, which extended from Dodge Street to the south to Julian Avenue to the north, but the hiding place of the money was not made known.
Kelly was generally considered to be a little queer, due, no doubt to a tragedy in his early life. He went to Philadelphia in the early days, bearing with him some sacks of gold to be ruined in the mud on the way. Dressed in the regulation mining clothes he attracted the unusual notice and a crowd of boys passing along, jeered the questioning stranger.
Slays His Protector.
A man passing by tried to persuade the boys to let the stranger alone; but Kelly, thinking he was urging them on whipped out a pistol and killed the would-be protector. He served a long prison sentence; but the circumstances of the case resulted in his pardon years later.
He then returned to Dubuque and took up his work of mining.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread