ireland

P

phil30512

From Dublin too..

I have bought a metal detector and now find the draconian laws. Though I think you can use a detector so long as you are not searching for archeaological objects..!! Tricky.

Anyone know of any clubs in Ireland? Or any defining version of the laws?

OP
OP
F

fusion

Greenie
Apr 10, 2007
hows it going phil. i found out the hard way about detecting and the laws, ended up in the papers for all the wrong reasons. if there is a club in ireland it is well underground [ no pun intended ] . you can get permission if you write away for it, but dont hold your breath. i take the md with me when i go fishing, as most people dont know the law. if you find away to go mding without breaking the law please let know. you can use it on beaches providing you are no were near a listed site, kinda takes the fun out of it. happy hunting.

pablopaul

Greenie
Aug 7, 2007
Hi everybody!! Im argentinian, but now Im living in Spain, I was living in Ireland two months ago traying to improve my english there... Im in love with Ireland, more exactly in Galway.

When I was there, tried to find out about Metal Detecting Clubs through internet but it was impossible, and I could find some articles explaining that there are strong laws refered to this hobby.

For that reason, left my machine in Spain waiting for me... Despite this, I love your country, and would like to go back again...

If you need something from Spain or from Argentina, let me know!!! Bye friends!

OP
OP
F

fusion

Greenie
Apr 10, 2007
hows it going pablopaul. i guess you will be crossing the border into france in september, to watch ireland beat argentina in the rugby world cup. ;D ;D ;D :D

pablopaul

Greenie
Aug 7, 2007
Hows it going Fusion!!! I love rugby!!!! Let me tell you something... I remember you, Los Pumas beat Ireland in Argentina both test matches... I know, best irish player didn´t play but... jahjahjah

My favorite team is Leinster!!!!! When I was there, I watched in a pub Ireland - England, enjoyed so much that match, drinking Guinnes, and I have to say that my second team is Ireland!!!! I left a lot of friends in your country...

I couldn´t buy tickets for Ireland - Argentina, maybe I could buy tickets for Georgia or Namibia vs. Argentina, I dont know...

Good luck in France!!!!

One question, are you a detectorist? Do you practice this hobbie in Ireland?

ramonan16

Greenie
Oct 15, 2007
hi all,just bought a metal detector and was wondering could anybody give me any advise on where to use it in ireland,im new to this hobby and need all the help i can get,i live in co cavan but go to bundoran quite alotalso what is the story on using a detecor in ireland,reading your posts it seems to be a bit of hit and miss regaurding the law...all help recieved with thanks...mick

ramonan16

Greenie
Oct 15, 2007
hi big digger,hows all in sligo,was in bundoran this weekend,went to go on beach for a while but the rain and wind soon put a stop to that :'( .didnt get using detector there at all,i was just wondering have you had much luck in sligo with your searching ... mick

AndyIreland

Greenie
Aug 13, 2008
Carlow
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm new to detecting as well, i got an Ace 250 last week, so far i've only used it in my back garden finding about 10 coins, all from 1950s up to present

Are beaches safe to use MDs on?

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Just got back (To the North) after being around the world for 36 years. Now wondering what the laws are North of the border. Are beaches okay, or do you need a permit for them too ?

alarmstudio

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2011
Hi from Tipperary! I started detecting three weeks ago (Tesoro Cibola) and am still nervous about these crazy laws, but the way i interpret them is that it's ok as long as you're nowhere near an archeological site, or looking for archeological artifacts. As far as I'm concerned I'm looking for coins and lost jewellery. Is there any record of anyone ever being prosecuted for detecting in Ireland?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread