Ireland : Metal detecting - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ireland : Metal detecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2006
    Europe
    Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
    4 times

Re: Ireland : Metal detecting

They should make a series on how so called archeologists like the Time T*ts destroy and throw away objects, by bulldozing down to where they begin, and then ask whos finding and preserving the nations heritage !
    My hearts in England, but my butts stuck in mainland Europe.

Jun 2007
    15 times

Yep...If i discover something fantastic there isn't a chance I'm going to damage it in any way,but if the "Govt" doesn't provide some recognition and fair compensation well there is no way I'm going to run and give it to them so they can shrug their shoulders and file it away in some museum's basement never to see the light of day.Professional looters are one thing but a lone detectorist who uncovers some lost artifact and gets a chill up their spine at the history and craftsmanship, I feel has as much right to ownership of that object as anyone.

Aug 2007
    Whites DFX
    2 times

Well, put it this way, Able_walker. If a MD'er or anybody for that reason, finds a chalice/treasure or something of great historical significance, if the law was there to compensate them of 50% of it's worth, give them the appropriate recognition and display the treasure for all of the world to admire in a museum, it's a hell of a lot better than hiding it under the bed or God forbid becoming one of those #@!$%#@!s on Ebay that sell their countries heritage to the highest bidder.
    DFX, Stock 950 coil, Bullseye II pinpointer

May 2006
    Europe
    Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
    4 times

One of the biggest problems too, is that an MDer finds something, but then when its given to the Archies, its them thats suddenly found it, no mention of the MDer :-(

Apr 2007

hello dfx. i got your e mail but i did not reply because i wanted to post my answer on this thread. i have just changed jobs, moving to a new house, and became a grandad. when the dust sets i am going to try and set up a club again.any information i get i,ll post it.

Aug 2007
    Whites DFX
    2 times

Congrats, Fusion. Post soon

DFX, Stock 950 coil, Bullseye II pinpointer

Oct 2007
    Bronx, NY
    BH Quick Silver, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Hi,

I'm new here. I'm going to Ireland in June 08. I just read all your posts and I think at the moment we can use md's on the beaches only, is that correct? I'll be staying in Bellmullet, Galway and I really want to try to detect in Clew Bay. I figure with Grace O'Malley being based there, there must be something to find .

I used to watch Time Team and I also thought how stupid of them to use bull dozers before they started to look for anything. I have a degree in Anthro and love archaeology but I sure don't believe they should be the only ones allowed to look for treasure! Someone wrote they never give the md'er credit and the same is true here in the states. Do you have the same problems we have in terms of finding something that may be important to the "native" people? That becomes a nightmare here.

Take care,
    Sue

Oct 2007
    Ireland
    Whites D-F-X
    1 times

lets all try and change the law in Ireland <bribe a politician>
    As long as its not raining i will hunt

May 2006
    Europe
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Digger
    lets all try and change the law in Ireland <bribe a politician>
    Everyone else does, so why should we be different ?

Oct 2007
    Ireland
    Whites D-F-X
    1 times

i would certainly condone a club being set up in ireland it would not
    take that much time to organize someone should get the ball rolling i
    i want to be part of a club and go on feild trips to eng/scot/wal etc etc
    come on boys and girl get the ball rolling and stop ***** footing around
    lets do it woooohoooooo
    As long as its not raining i will hunt

Oct 2007

yea,i agree digger,some one should look into starting a club here in Ireland....dont know if there are any more Irish here on this site,if so then come on people shout it out...lets here from you.....mick

Apr 2007

calm down lads, the law is very strict even if most people dont know it. the way i see it there are two ways to go about it. you can try and convince the people in charge that it is not a money making rackeet, or get a farmers permission under the guise that he lost something valuable on his land and has got help to find it. poaching is an artifact no one wants to see no more. who knows ? may be with a bit of for thought someone might listen.

May 2006
    Europe
    4 times

And Pigs might fly !!

Oct 2007

I just seen one................a flying pig that is......well it was a gardi flying around trying to catch kids with fireworks...lol....being on the level now ....what the %^$& are we going to do about it here in Ireland seen as the rest of the EU seem to be ok with detecting........mick

May 2006
    Europe
    4 times

The only laces in The EU that seem to get on OK with detecting, is England/Wales, and Holland. The rest seem to have their heads stuck in the sand.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links