Ireland : Metal detecting

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hi,

I'm new here. I'm going to Ireland in June 08. I just read all your posts and I think at the moment we can use md's on the beaches only, is that correct? I'll be staying in Bellmullet, Galway and I really want to try to detect in Clew Bay. I figure with Grace O'Malley being based there, there must be something to find :).

I used to watch Time Team and I also thought how stupid of them to use bull dozers before they started to look for anything. I have a degree in Anthro and love archaeology but I sure don't believe they should be the only ones allowed to look for treasure! Someone wrote they never give the md'er credit and the same is true here in the states. Do you have the same problems we have in terms of finding something that may be important to the "native" people? That becomes a nightmare here.

Take care,
Sue

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Big_Digger said:
??? lets all try and change the law in Ireland :-\ <bribe a politician> :-X :-\ :-\ :-X
Everyone else does, so why should we be different ?

Big_Digger

Oct 24, 2007
Ireland
Detector(s) used
Whites D-F-X
:) i would certainly condone a club being set up in ireland it would not
take that much time to organize someone should get the ball rolling i
i want to be part of a club and go on feild trips to eng/scot/wal etc etc
come on boys and girl get the ball rolling and stop pussy footing around
lets do it woooohoooooo ;D ???

ramonan16

Greenie
Oct 15, 2007
yea,i agree digger,some one should look into starting a club here in Ireland....dont know if there are any more Irish here on this site,if so then come on people shout it out...lets here from you.....mick

fusion

Greenie
Apr 10, 2007
calm down lads, the law is very strict even if most people dont know it. the way i see it there are two ways to go about it. you can try and convince the people in charge that it is not a money making rackeet, or get a farmers permission under the guise that he lost something valuable on his land and has got help to find it. poaching is an artifact no one wants to see no more. who knows ? may be with a bit of for thought someone might listen.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
And Pigs might fly !!

ramonan16

Greenie
Oct 15, 2007
I just seen one................a flying pig that is......well it was a gardi flying around trying to catch kids with fireworks...lol....being on the level now ....what the %^$& are we going to do about it here in Ireland seen as the rest of the EU seem to be ok with detecting........mick

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
The only laces in The EU that seem to get on OK with detecting, is England/Wales, and Holland. The rest seem to have their heads stuck in the sand. :-\

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
I was too polite to mention that option ;-)

able_walker

Jun 25, 2007
Just Imagine France with all the history that's wrapped up in that place.Any finds are automatic property of the state no ifs ands or buts.Can you fathom the amount of history that has been lost? It takes alot of time and patience for a detectorist to find objects of value,to simply hand it over with no recognition or reward is ludicrous.Always remember it's not the "people" that benefit from these finds as much as the self-righteous archies who want to make a name for themselves.Yeah Howard Carter was really thinking of the Egyptian people when he found King Tuts tomb.What a crock!

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
It´s the same in a lot of Bundesländer (Counties) here in Germany, You find it, they take it, they get the fame, and you get a fine !!

ramonan16

Greenie
Oct 15, 2007
If it so illegal to own/buy/use a metal detector in this great land of ours,then why is LEGAL for company's like ARGOS,MAPLINS to sell them in ireland,check out the new catalouge from argos,page 1473....also they seem to be showing kids how to break the law too on page 1646....surely there is some kind of mix up with the laws here....please reply with any thoughts on this .....mick

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
It´s the same in a lot of countries, you´re allowed to buy one, but not allowed to use one. I think tax and a healthy economy has something to do with it. Like knives etc., You can buy illegal sized ones, but it´s illegal to have them, out side of a kitchen, or slaughter house/butchers !

pat1011

Jun 28, 2008
Limerick
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer II
Anyone willing to check few local beaches near galway? Burren area... I know nice beach with rocks and holes filled with sand and who knows with what else under that sand :wink:

btw... I have mlab explorerII pro - price in Ireland was 1500 I have got mine from {censored} for 1100 with postage... This is great how people here should pay more than anywhere else in eu... Price of that same was about 900usd in usa that time - 800euro but they did not want to post it to ireland - some restrictions from minelab here...

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went over on one of the bargain trips this weekend. Wife shopped, I detected.
I expect Argos and the like assume the kids will be beach detecting which remains O.K. except for a couple of areas and the Dublin Estuary ? where a detectorist was a good boy and reported his Viking finds which caused the extension of the land ban.

robert35

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2006
Ireland
Detector(s) used
C-Scope newforce R1
Dear all,
Would it be safe to have my detector flown over? A relative of mine will be arriving in Ireland soon and I would love to have my detector back and start using it again. Would it be safe if brought with you as luggage? b.t.w. I own a C-Scope newforce R1.
I even find it a very good idea to start a detector club. There should be a way to come to a certain kind of an agreement with the local gourvernment/museums etc..
Lets bind our forces and see if we can work things out?

Regards,
Robert, an addicted MD'er who misses his hobby alot..Because I used to go out almost very weekend when I was back in NL.

oneman

Jul 18, 2008
hi , i live near navan and would be very interesed in forming a club ..i own some land with a very old historical site.. church. etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread