Ireland : Metal detecting - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ireland : Metal detecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2007

Re: Ireland : Metal detecting

....or they might have ther heads stuck some where else. !!!!

May 2006
    Europe
    Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
    4 times

I was too polite to mention that option ;-)
    My hearts in England, but my butts stuck in mainland Europe.

Jun 2007
    15 times

Just Imagine France with all the history that's wrapped up in that place.Any finds are automatic property of the state no ifs ands or buts.Can you fathom the amount of history that has been lost? It takes alot of time and patience for a detectorist to find objects of value,to simply hand it over with no recognition or reward is ludicrous.Always remember it's not the "people" that benefit from these finds as much as the self-righteous archies who want to make a name for themselves.Yeah Howard Carter was really thinking of the Egyptian people when he found King Tuts tomb.What a crock!

May 2006
    Europe
    Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
    4 times

It´s the same in a lot of Bundesländer (Counties) here in Germany, You find it, they take it, they get the fame, and you get a fine !!

Oct 2007

If it so illegal to own/buy/use a metal detector in this great land of ours,then why is LEGAL for company's like ARGOS,MAPLINS to sell them in ireland,check out the new catalouge from argos,page 1473....also they seem to be showing kids how to break the law too on page 1646....surely there is some kind of mix up with the laws here....please reply with any thoughts on this .....mick

May 2006
    Europe
    4 times

It´s the same in a lot of countries, you´re allowed to buy one, but not allowed to use one. I think tax and a healthy economy has something to do with it. Like knives etc., You can buy illegal sized ones, but it´s illegal to have them, out side of a kitchen, or slaughter house/butchers !

ie
    Jun 2008
    Limerick
    minelab explorer II

Anyone willing to check few local beaches near galway? Burren area... I know nice beach with rocks and holes filled with sand and who knows with what else under that sand

btw... I have mlab explorerII pro - price in Ireland was 1500 I have got mine from {censored} for 1100 with postage... This is great how people here should pay more than anywhere else in eu... Price of that same was about 900usd in usa that time - 800euro but they did not want to post it to ireland - some restrictions from minelab here...

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    154 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Went over on one of the bargain trips this weekend. Wife shopped, I detected.
    I expect Argos and the like assume the kids will be beach detecting which remains O.K. except for a couple of areas and the Dublin Estuary ? where a detectorist was a good boy and reported his Viking finds which caused the extension of the land ban.

ie
    Jul 2006
    Ireland
    C-Scope newforce R1

Dear all,
    Would it be safe to have my detector flown over? A relative of mine will be arriving in Ireland soon and I would love to have my detector back and start using it again. Would it be safe if brought with you as luggage? b.t.w. I own a C-Scope newforce R1.
    I even find it a very good idea to start a detector club. There should be a way to come to a certain kind of an agreement with the local gourvernment/museums etc..
    Lets bind our forces and see if we can work things out?

Regards,
    Robert, an addicted MD'er who misses his hobby alot..Because I used to go out almost very weekend when I was back in NL.

ie
    Jul 2008

hi , i live near navan and would be very interesed in forming a club ..i own some land with a very old historical site.. church. etc.

ie
    Jul 2006
    Ireland
    C-Scope newforce R1

Let's see how many people there are interested in starting a club? A website can be easily set up..Think I am kinda handy with that, and see what we can achieve by talking to the museum and other sources. Like where I come from (Holland) we had a farely descent arrangement with the local Historians and the head office for archaeology. We could keep anything we found (unless it was of major historical importance) but we had to have everything checked/registered and logged. Which was not a bad deal.
    If there are more people interested please let us know and see if we can start Ireland first (legal) MD club and do a test run in Navan..Which sounds like a nice idea!!

Robert

ie
    Jul 2008

no problem ..you are welcome any time. any ideas on a detector . i am thinking of buying a minelab but not sure which one . is the explorer very complicated for a beginner .i used to have a..c.scope

ie
    Jul 2006
    Ireland
    C-Scope newforce R1

well, I have never bought a simple or easy to use metal detector. I have been using C sope detectors now for 20 years and I am very satisfied. But I have always bought the best or second best, if you budget allows ofcourse. The more you use your detector the easier it gets. After one or two months of intensive usage even the one with the most buttons and options is relatively easy to use.
    My advise would be; if you budgets lets you, try a good one..you will learn as you go..!

regarding the meeting , I am busy trying to get my detector overseas and as soon as he is in Ireland we will try to arrange a meeting..By that time I hope to have a website up and running and have hopefully lots of info to share..and hopefully some people to share the hobby with..

Robert

ie
    Sep 2008
    Cork
    Minelab Quatro

Hi This is my first post so hello to all especially all mder's in Ireland. I think getting a club together in Ireland is Great. In regards to buying a detector in ireland i bought mine from minelab in cork you don't benefit from the cheap dollar but you have the added bonus of being able to return to the manufacture under warranty also with minelab they offer an excellent service. i bought a Quattro from them and i cant fault it its very easy to see the quality compared to my first detector a bounty hunter Quick draw II. In Regards to the Law issue i received a leaflet from minelab stating the law in ireland and what to do if you find an artifact basically the law is as above but it stated that if you do find anything of importance you must leave in the ground and call the gardi and only remove if in danger of being destroyed but you wont know till you have it out catch 22 (i must fish the leaflet out). normally i search Beach's but if I'm detecting a field i first check www.archeology.ie to see make sure I'm nowhere near a registered site. i then go out detecting with my handheld gps and digital camera in tow just in case i find anything major. i haven't found anything yet but if i did i would take a couple of pics and log the location. report it then to the appropriate people. I hope this all makes sence i hope we can get a club going it would be great.

Hello to everyone on the forum. Found this site recently and been trawling it since. Amazing stories and finds. I have always been interested in history and a Polish friend got me interested in metal detecting. When I told him about the law here he was amazed but doesn't really care. I live in Wexford and there are some great fields here that I would love to try out. I enquired about a Garrett 250 from kellyco but with the laws it is hardly worthwhile. I think for me the thrill of finding coins and trash on the beach might soon wear off. And going by the amount of rubbish people here throw away the beaches must be hard going. I think setting up a club would be a great idea. I saw that advert in the Argos catalogue for the probably quite useless detector, and it seems to be breaking the law,(National Monuments Act Amendment 1987). However, I do believe the above act could be easily challenged. If one had deep pockets of course! Has any you folks metal detecting on beaches, etc, ever been challenged? I am dropping hints about my interest in a metal detector so maybe Santy might bring one. Good to see that there are others interested here in Ireland.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links