Echos From Lost Mines - J.D. Hill (Overland Monthly & Out West Magazine - 1924)

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I just uploaded this article in the Lost Adams forum. It has some comments on the Mine with the Iron Door (the Lost Escalante mine).

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OB,

It's good to see you back posting again. Your absence caused quite a bit of speculation here. Hope all is well.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Howdy, cj!

Thank you! I wish I had a more interesting tale to tell but the simple truth is I've been working. Commercial real estate consists of peaks and valleys - and when the cycle is up it's almost 24/7 and we have to make money while we can. Rather like those Alaskan crab fishermen - except I have no heavy lifting and no risk of being washed overboard.

Just long hours on the computer and traveling around the Western US looking at property.

I'm not complaining - there are worse things than being busy. I just haven't had any time for a hobby.

Again - thank you!

Happy Trails,

Fred

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
OB,

Glad to hear everything is OK.

The mortality rate used to be pretty high, when I was up there. Spent a year on Kodiak Island and knew a number of fishermen.

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Joe: Our son is up in Alaska for the Summer, cooking for a living. Nineteen years old and they turned him loose, expecting 3 meals a day for 20 or 25 people! He called and said he's thinking about fishing next year. So we got a DVD of that show "Deadliest Catch" (the pilot episode) and we hope he watches it and decides it's not for him!

I believe it was Walter Scott who wrote "It's no fish you're buying - it's men's lives."

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
OB,

Glad to hear everything is OK.

The mortality rate used to be pretty high, when I was up there. Spent a year on Kodiak Island and knew a number of fishermen.

Take care,

Joe

AHA! So, Joe, you ARE a Sourdough! (hee hee) The rule is, you can't call yourself a sourdough until you spent a winter there, so you ARE a sourdough. The truth is coming out Joe - you may as well admit it. The trick is in prying the stories out of you!

Please do continue,

:coffee2: :coffee2:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Oro, that's unsanitary, use yer cup :coffee2: :laughing7: :laughing7: Yer picking up habits from your Hounds of Baskerville.

HAY now - lifting your leg is not that odd, and it makes marking those bushes all that much easier. I did not spray anyone yet. We won't discuss the other habits (this is a family-oriented site after all). :tongue3:

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amigo's, All you need is a good cup of hot steamy burro juice :coffee2:,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good.! NP:cat:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I thought Roy was showing a little fetish side of himself! Got a thing for corduroy, do ya? HAHAHA

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread