JW Fisher 8x - what do you think

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am considering purchasing a JW Fisher 8x. Used and two years old and seems to be a good price. I want to be able to get into the saltwater, but I'm not a diver. Will use wading or snorkeling. I own a VLF machine, but not waterproof. Can anyone give me so pros and/or cons on this pulse induction for my intended use? As always, many thnks for your replies.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I answered your other post... :hello:

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J.W.Fisher 8x is a well liked machine by many underwater salvagers and the like. BUYING USED IS ALWAYS A GAMBLE-maybe the previous owner had trouble with it. Maybe not. GOOD LUCK. I can say this though-pulse units are probably your best way to go in salt water-totally ignores or mostly ignores salty minerals,etc.

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
Rule at the beach.....DIG EVERYTHING!!!!.......it'll hit twice as deep as your vlf but the tradeoff is you have no discrimination..........hh.....jb

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't buy unless it is a really good price

Its an underwater detector and you say you won't be diving. P.I.'s are set for specific applications and there's a marked difference between what's needed wading or near surface (low u/S) and whats required for use where there's fifty or a hundred feet of salt water above the coil (high u/S and therefore less sensitivity).

They are an expensive detector new and that tends to be mirrored in expensive repairs.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What he is saying, if you are using it for beach hunting, it is not a good one, it is not hot on gold, mostly big iron. There are a few other old style PIs that are the same way. Get a PI for finding gold jewelry, or a Fisher CZ 20, or CZ21 or a Minelab Excalibur, and dont believe the ads or what the company says, listen to the people that find stuff.

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.K. Brian said:
Don't buy unless it is a really good price

Its an underwater detector and you say you won't be diving. P.I.'s are set for specific applications and there's a marked difference between what's needed wading or near surface (low u/S) and whats required for use where there's fifty or a hundred feet of salt water above the coil (high u/S and therefore less sensitivity).

They are an expensive detector new and that tends to be mirrored in expensive repairs.
I have owned a Fisher 8X for more than 7 years and have not used it as much I wish.I drove up to the factory and they are real nice people..even gave me a quick tour of the place.I went up there for a new battery since I was still using the original..It was about time.
Could you explain to me this "u/S" term ? sorry I am new here and would appreciate some advise,Thank You..

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about that. uS is the pulse delay of a pulse machine. The best signal/sensitivity from all target types is obtained if a short delay is used (say 10 uS). For small nuggets/engagement rings its best to use the shortest delay a detector has, whilst for large coins or relic hunting for iron a higher pulse rate (say 25 uS is needed).

Your detector is fixed at a higher uS setting because its more a wreck hunting design than dry sand or wading one. So not as good detecting on the beach but the balance tips as you go deeper into the water. The more water over the coil the higher the delay that is needed.

The Fisher is optimised for underwater use whilst most pulse detectors have been designed to give the best results on the sand or with just a few feet of water over the coil. This doesn't mean you can't use your detector with good effect for general beach detecting its just it might be outperformed by a cheaper pulse thats been optimised to work out of the water. On the other hand you have a quality brand and it may well outperform a cheaper pulse due to better all round design so don't think it can only be used successfully in the water. You might not be able to find small earrings but performance on larger items will still be good and most would rather find a large gold item than a small one.

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this to me,I appreciate it very much.
One last question if you can enlighten me ..Just what does the high,medium and low settings change..just the strength of the pulse and not the delay ?
Thanks again,Take Care.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you can't change the delay on either of their models.
Back in 2006 they were the only company that would not tell you what the delay is....some think 25uS other 30 uS or even higher. I hoped at the time they would provide an adjustment so you could select what was best for the type of detecting you were going to do on a specific day but I don't think thats happened yet.

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for this info..as before much appreciated.
I have permission to dig at a 200 acre 200 years old farmhouse this summer and will keep you posted on the goodies I find,Best Wishes and Take Care,Joseph

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions