Learning Curve on a F75

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I moved from the fisher F4 up to the F75LTD/2 back in 2014. Most all high end detectors have a default set up and others with reprogrammed processes. You can turn on the F75 from the factory, change your disc to zero, find a patch of quiet ground, do a ground grab and then set the disc where you wish and then go hunting. I have pulled a gold ring that rang in as a solid 11 (foil range). since then I only disc 1-6. I keep my sensitivity between 65 & 75 for most yards I hunt, but crank it up in the fields and woods. I use 4H tones for most hunts but in some fields I use 2 tones. I do not use all metal much. I am mainly a coin shooter, but I do appreciate a cool relic and some bling. Sometimes the F75 can be chatty, but's it's easy to flip through the 7 freqs to find a quiet one. If you mess up and set something you can't figure out how to undo, you can always do a factory reset. I say this from experience, on one hunt I tried playing with the notch feature and found it easier to do a reset since I was still new to the machine. To me the F75 is easy to use and has plenty of features that you can grow into. When I was looking for one back in 2014 the standard F75 was $799 I believe. Earlier this year they dropped the price to $599.

I do have an older one that I will sell. It does not have the newer DST upgrade (some swear the non DST versions run deeper). PM me if your interested. I can also set you up with an additional small coil and probe if you'd like.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First lesson is that it is made by Fisher Research Labs and not J.W. Fisher. ;-)

I found the factory reset feature to be my best friend. No matter what I had putzed around with I could always set it back to default in a few seconds. I still start every hunt with a reset.

The biggest mistake F-75 starters seem to make is to crank up the sensitivity thinking this increases depth. It will just make distortions and overload the circuits - like turning up the volume on your car speakers full and wondering why the music is hard to listen to. 40 or 50 may be the setting you need for conditions. If it is too "busy", lower the sensitivity.

I got mine in 2007 and started off running. Was only my second "real" detector. I'm still learning but it certainly has been a fun ride. It is actually easy to do a basic (default) setting. From there you can tweak to your heart's content but you do not have to. I actually seldom notch or use much discrimination because I want to see and hear what is going on.

Note also that I haven't felt the need to move on to another detector. The F-75 is a coin shooter's dream IMHO.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm liking the 'Factory Reset ' a-lot as I learn my new G2+.

I know it's not a fisher Machine but wanted to comment on the 'Reset' anyway.

Ooop's I thought I switched to 'Fisher Lab's' Ill do that now.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread