Dripping springs

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
The 1701 Kino map doesn't show any visitas between Tubac and San Xavier Del Bac. If there was a stop-over place it would have been in a Pima village.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Does anyone have any info if there were Jesuit visitas in the Dripping springs/ Kearny area?
You can PM me if you would like.

Gambrinus,

Kearny is around 80 from Tucson, which was originally a Visita. Were you looking for something a little closer? If you had a place more specific in mind, it would help if you fleshed out your question a bit.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
G

Gambrinus

Dec 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both for your responses. I guess I may be barking up the wrong tree.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Thank you both for your responses. I guess I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Gambrinus,

Sorry we couldn't help you. I have plenty of research material which might help, but would need you to present more information to narrow the research down. I believe there were less than two dozen missions and visitas in southern Arizona.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Lucky Baldwin

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any info if there were Jesuit visitas in the Dripping springs/ Kearny area?
You can PM me if you would like.

I have a copy of an old map entitled: "Passage by land to California Discovered by Father Eusebius Francis Kino a Jesuit; between the years 1698 & 1701: containing likewise the New Missions of the Jesuits."

I find no visitas in that area only a rancheria named 'San Fernando' near the confluence of the San Pedro and Gila rivers. The map shows it west of the San Pedro and south of the Gila. Going west down the Gila, the next thing shown is Casa Grande.

From the Smithsonian Institution Bureau of American Ethnology, bulletin 30 "Handbook of American Indians north of Mexico" 1907:

San Fernando. A former Pima rancheria 9 leagues E. of the ruins of Casa Grande, near Rio Gila, S. Arizona; visited and so named by Father Kino about 1697.

OP
OP
G

Gambrinus

Dec 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Lucky Baldwin, that is close to the area.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Gambrinus,

Sorry we couldn't help you. I have plenty of research material which might help, but would need you to present more information to narrow the research down. I believe there were less than two dozen missions and visitas in southern Arizona.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
Well I found out about one back in 1980. East of San Manuel. When the ranchers first moved in area (1880, as per one rancher I talked with in 1980) they found an "Old Orchard". Apaches didn't plant orchards, but the Jesuits did, they remembered Scurvy from coming over by ship. Let me know if you want his name Joe. PM me as I don't give out names without permission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions