TALES OF LOST JESUIT MINES

ORGANICshaman

Sep 10, 2016
Mother jungle cloud forest machu picchu
Detector(s) used
Wire and biro dowsing rods,magnet on a string, $50 kids detector and a chatty friendly Gnome/Djinn.
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe I found the greatest Jesuit mine of them all...kings Solomon's near machu picchu peru Piri_reis_world_map_02.jpg images (14).jpg

Notice the ancient road going from the atlantic..from Sao Paolo.. (jesuits)Paraguay(jesuits)..biggest silver mine in the ancient world in Bolivia..then on to lake titicaka and cusco..

Solomon Phoenicians were here 1,000 B.C....visigoths 700AD..probally many other ancestors of the lost tribes before the Jesuits.did the build this road or were they just aware of it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I believe I found the greatest Jesuit mine of them all...kings Solomon's near machu picchu peru View attachment 1364034 View attachment 1364037

Notice the ancient road going from the atlantic..from Sao Paolo.. (jesuits)Paraguay(jesuits)..biggest silver mine in the ancient world in Bolivia..then on to lake titicaka and cusco..

Solomon Phoenicians were here 1,000 B.C....visigoths 700AD..probally many other ancestors of the lost tribes before the Jesuits.did the build this road or were they just aware of it?

I would love to hear more, please do continue.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Some time over the winter I will try to post a summation of the case here, proving the Jesuits had mines and by extension, the products of these mines in the form of treasures. The thread is now very long indeed and some of the participants have fled for milder boards, along the way perhaps some of the accumulation of evidence has been forgotten. So for now anyone interested, may read through the many pages of posts to make your own conclusions.

Daryl - I do not know of anyone having found any Jesuit treasures in New Mexico, although there is some documentation to show that the Jesuits did indeed make incursions into that region which was technically outside of their area of influence, rightly it belonged to the Franciscan order. The story of King Solomon's mine being located in the Four Corners area is a new one to me, if you would care to elaborate and/or point me in the right direction to find where this story originates? Thanks in advance.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.

:coffee2: :coffee2:

Terp

Dec 26, 2017
N. Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi fellow hunters!

Oroblanco - do you remember this from 2010?

https://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=368

I was wondering if there is any other mention of this pilot or his finding in Baja other than this desertusa post? I'm currently waiting to be approved as a member on that site to see if the OP will respond with any more info. I guess I'm mainly curious if this is a commonly known "treasure hunt" or if the info is only coming from the guy on desertusa.

My next trip to Baja i might do some exploring =) (at least a year from now, plenty of time to research)

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Hi fellow hunters!

Oroblanco - do you remember this from 2010?

https://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=368

I was wondering if there is any other mention of this pilot or his finding in Baja other than this desertusa post? I'm currently waiting to be approved as a member on that site to see if the OP will respond with any more info. I guess I'm mainly curious if this is a commonly known "treasure hunt" or if the info is only coming from the guy on desertusa.

My next trip to Baja i might do some exploring =) (at least a year from now, plenty of time to research)

Yes I remember that discussion amigo, and WELCOME to TREASURENET Terp!

I should add a correction to that one post too where I had said that NO treasure was ever found in the Jesuit Baja missions as it is incorrect, a small (but still nice) amount of gold was found hidden inside a wall in one of the missions and some silver, amounting to something like several thousand pesos. That is pesos when they were really worth something, 1 for 1 to the US dollar really and the US dollar was not yet invented. So treasure actually WAS found in one of the missions. And some small gold mines which proved to be too poor to be worked profitably by the Spanish, however it had apparently been mined during the padres as they had free labor in the Indios.

Anyway I sure do not know if there is any more on that pilot. I recall seeing an article a few years ago where someone thought they had found one of the 'lost' missions too, if I remember right it was Santa Isabel? Not sure.

I hope you will keep us posted when you go, as I believe there are some impressive treasures hidden in Baja and it would be great if someone would find some of it.

Please do continue;
:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Yes I remember that discussion amigo, and WELCOME to TREASURENET Terp!

I should add a correction to that one post too where I had said that NO treasure was ever found in the Jesuit Baja missions as it is incorrect, a small (but still nice) amount of gold was found hidden inside a wall in one of the missions and some silver, amounting to something like several thousand pesos. That is pesos when they were really worth something, 1 for 1 to the US dollar really and the US dollar was not yet invented. So treasure actually WAS found in one of the missions. And some small gold mines which proved to be too poor to be worked profitably by the Spanish, however it had apparently been mined during the padres as they had free labor in the Indios.

Anyway I sure do not know if there is any more on that pilot. I recall seeing an article a few years ago where someone thought they had found one of the 'lost' missions too, if I remember right it was Santa Isabel? Not sure.

I hope you will keep us posted when you go, as I believe there are some impressive treasures hidden in Baja and it would be great if someone would find some of it.

Please do continue;

Roy,

Good story! Wonder how the natives found time for working the Jesuit mines. They were kept pretty busy working the mission fields, as well as keeping their own plots of crops going. That's not to mention the Padres farming them out to local mines for additional labor. As I understand it, the mines paid them enough for that labor to make them want to keep working in the mines.

Hope you and Beth are doing well. Happy New Year!

Joe

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Roy,

Good story! Wonder how the natives found time for working the Jesuit mines. They were kept pretty busy working the mission fields, as well as keeping their own plots of crops going. That's not to mention the Padres farming them out to local mines for additional labor. As I understand it, the mines paid them enough for that labor to make them want to keep working in the mines.

Hope you and Beth are doing well. Happy New Year!

Joe

Hi Joe and ditto, hope you had a great Christmas and that Smoky is giving you a hard time. :occasion14:

It is not such a wonder, when the padres were legally allowed to extract three days forced labor from all of "their" Indios, and that many of them were not sticking to that rule. Farming was far from a huge success in Baja, probably due to the arid climate and sterility of the soil in many areas, so the farming work was rather limited at most of the Baja missions. It is a greater wonder that the Baja missions were able to produce a surplus to sell to the Manila galleons fairly regularly, however if you are still in doubt about the gold mines as found by the Spanish authorities on the expulsion of the padres I am sure we can find that again as it is posted in another thread, as well as the finding of a small but still respectable treasure in one of the missions, hidden in a wall. The Baja missions were also financially supported by the 'Pious California fund'*** which still exists, and at the time of the expulsion was listed as owning a number of farms in Mexico as well as mines which were supporting the missions of Baja.

For our readers - the Jesuit missions of Baja were run rather like a private Jesuit fiefdom, with little oversight by Royal authorities. The Jesuits had been granted full authority and control over the entire peninsula. An interesting 'slideshow' for anyone interested is available online at:
https://www.slideshare.net/drpatzkowski/california-missions

***For anyone unfamiliar with the Pious Fund, here is a place to start:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pious_Fund_of_the_Californias

Also, I would recommend The Wealth of the Jesuits in Mexico 1640-1767 by James T. Riley, especially take note of the footnotes and citations, and the portion covering the Pious Fund. It was available online at JSTOR, not sure if it still is but here is the linkee:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/980785

More recommended reading for anyone interested:

A Natural and Civil History of California by Michael Venegas
The letters of Jacob Baegert, 1749-1761: Jesuit missionary in Baja, Jacob Baegert and Doyce Blackman Nunis

There are many more, I am sure that our amigo Cactusjumper could add to this list many, better titles, this is just a sample of what is available.

Please do continue;
:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Hi Joe and ditto, hope you had a great Christmas and that Smoky is giving you a hard time. :occasion14:

It is not such a wonder, when the padres were legally allowed to extract three days forced labor from all of "their" Indios, and that many of them were not sticking to that rule. Farming was far from a huge success in Baja, probably due to the arid climate and sterility of the soil in many areas, so the farming work was rather limited at most of the Baja missions. It is a greater wonder that the Baja missions were able to produce a surplus to sell to the Manila galleons fairly regularly, however if you are still in doubt about the gold mines as found by the Spanish authorities on the expulsion of the padres I am sure we can find that again as it is posted in another thread, as well as the finding of a small but still respectable treasure in one of the missions, hidden in a wall. The Baja missions were also financially supported by the 'Pious California fund'*** which still exists, and at the time of the expulsion was listed as owning a number of farms in Mexico as well as mines which were supporting the missions of Baja.

For our readers - the Jesuit missions of Baja were run rather like a private Jesuit fiefdom, with little oversight by Royal authorities. The Jesuits had been granted full authority and control over the entire peninsula. An interesting 'slideshow' for anyone interested is available online at:
https://www.slideshare.net/drpatzkowski/california-missions

***For anyone unfamiliar with the Pious Fund, here is a place to start:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pious_Fund_of_the_Californias

Also, I would recommend The Wealth of the Jesuits in Mexico 1640-1767 by James T. Riley, especially take note of the footnotes and citations, and the portion covering the Pious Fund. It was available online at JSTOR, not sure if it still is but here is the linkee:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/980785

More recommended reading for anyone interested:

A Natural and Civil History of California by Michael Venegas
The letters of Jacob Baegert, 1749-1761: Jesuit missionary in Baja, Jacob Baegert and Doyce Blackman Nunis

There are many more, I am sure that our amigo Cactusjumper could add to this list many, better titles, this is just a sample of what is available.

Please do continue;

Hi Roy,

Many of my books concerning the Jesuits give brief descriptions of the Pious Fund. Two which are dedicated to the Fund are, "The United States Versus Mexico: The final settlement of the Pious Fund" by Francis J. Weber, and "Exposition Address to the Chamber of Congress of the Union. Considering the Administration of the Pious Fund" by Carlos Carrillo. Both book are pretty dry reading but explain the workings of the fund well. Going from my memory, such as it is, I would need to crack some books to say more.

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Hi Roy,

Many of my books concerning the Jesuits give brief descriptions of the Pious Fund. Two which are dedicated to the Fund are, "The United States Versus Mexico: The final settlement of the Pious Fund" by Francis J. Weber, and "Exposition Address to the Chamber of Congress of the Union. Considering the Administration of the Pious Fund" by Carlos Carrillo. Both book are pretty dry reading but explain the workings of the fund well. Going from my memory, such as it is, I would need to crack some books to say more.

Take care,

Joe

I just found Baegert's "Observations in Lower California" written after he had returned to Germany but full of insight and information, is online free.
https://publishing.cdlib.org/ucpressebooks/view?docId=ft5r29n9xv;chunk.id=0;doc.view=print

Side thing here but we have had a lengthy discussion on whether the legends of Jesuit treasures are true or false in another thread, if you wish to continue it; this thread was intended for simply collecting the legends for discussion, and there are many. I would also point out that the Jesuit period of Baja is hardly the only colonial period which could result in treasures to be found today, remember that other Orders had attempted to reduce the peninsula before it was granted to the Jesuits, and the peninsula was divided between the Dominicans and Franciscans. That poverty was the rule for the Indians and Spanish colonists was indeed the rule, yet fortunes were amassed in Baja, enough to attract the attention of pirates.

Please do continue;

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oro, my mentors, Dama & Ginger :Lamb. clained To have located the lost Mission of Santa Isanell and renoved a smal treasure. They claimed it was south of San Felipe.

Dana & Ginge Lamb, "THE enchanted Vagobonds
Dana & Ginger Lamb , "Quest for the los city" "

felepe,

b.

c.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Oro, my mentors, Dama & Ginger :Lamb. clained To have located the lost Mission of Santa Isanell and renoved a smal treasure. They claimed it was south of San Felipe.

felepe,

b.

c.

Don Jose,

A great story. I would say the Lamb's lived one hell of an adventure. One that most of us could only dream of......Excluding, of course, yourself. Good book, one which I highly recommend.

Happy New Year,

Joe

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

felepe,

b.

c.

Wow that's great, I wasn't aware of this. I guess we can scratch that lost mission off the list of possible treasures to hunt for in Baja.

Please do continue,
:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gentlemen, They reported a sink abot 1/2 nile in diameter with what appeared a lake on the bot5tom. The misson was built against one of te liff.vs and was damaged by rocks falling off of the ciff, but to date,no sinks have been mentioned, I guess it iI is i stil liopeI] That was after they returned from he canoe trip, I was folowing up, but was divertedby by a tip they gave me, when I posted the photograpf of me drinking on the trip to dance with the old ones. ]The rumor was correct, I did dance with the old ones by the light of my lonely campfire

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
gentlemen, They reported a sink abot 1/2 nile in diameter with what appeared a lake on the bot5tom. The misson was built against one of te liff.vs and was damaged by rocks falling off of the ciff, but to date,no sinks have been mentioned, I guess it iI is i stil liopeI] That was after they returned from he canoe trip, I was folowing up, but was divertedby by a tip they gave me, when I posted the photograpf of me drinking on the trip to dance with the old ones. ]The rumor was correct, I did dance with the old ones by the light of my lonely campfire

I would think it would still be worth searching for the mission, even though no treasure remains to be found, if only to get photos of the ruins etc and document the existence. There are people today who deny that it ever even existed at all.

Please do continue:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oro, I have never found the Mission , but I I intend to get Aerial photo maps soon. If it is there, The Aerial photos will show it.

will show it/

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I remember a story told to me by a friend, that back in the 50's he came across some old ruins and an old well. He reached inside the well and found a loose stone and removed it. Inside the cavity he found a leather bag with gold nuggets inside. He was way off the beaten paths when he found it. He never said where it was, Arizzona or New Mexico, but it was up in the hills.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread