Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug up this tiny silver Celtic/Filigree style ring last night at a place where I've found some pretty old coins.

Ring # 16 002.JPG

There's no real patina or tarnish but it just looks old to me.
The TINY marks are just about worn off.
If anyone has any idea I would greatly appreciate any comments or advice.
Thanks

Last edited:

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The style seams old to me, all tho vintage style has made a huge comeback. If the marks are just about warn off than it was worn for some time. How deep was it?

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The style seams old to me, all tho vintage style has made a huge comeback. If the marks are just about warn off than it was worn for some time. How deep was it?

I would say between 6-7 inches.
It also looks a bit crude compared to some similar modern ones I've seen online. I haven't found any pics of anything quite like it.
I do know it's a Celtic/Filigree design. The marks are unreadable so I really have no clue. It may be crude either because it's old or because it's just a cheap ring.
I just don't know.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I do know it's a Celtic/filigree design. The marks are unreadable

At one point in time the celts were here,so dont give up on it not being old.You might get lucky.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At 6-7 inches (assuming its in dirt) id say for sure it has age unless someone buried it there (unlikely). The sight I've recently been hunting was active from the 1930's to 1960's and most of the period finds are about 4" deep.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At 6-7 inches (assuming its in dirt) id say for sure it has age unless someone buried it there (unlikely). The sight I've recently been hunting was active from the 1930's to 1960's and most of the period finds are about 4" deep.

Yeah, it was surprisingly deep. It's just so CLEAN. I've dug 1940's & 50's silver coins but they never came out looking that good.
I only used warm water and maybe a drop of Dawn on it to remove the dirt.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it was surprisingly deep. It's just so CLEAN. I've dug 1940's & 50's silver coins but they never came out looking that good.
I only used warm water and maybe a drop of Dawn on it to remove the dirt.

That's silver for you. I recently dug a 1927 mercury dime that you would swear was found in change right from the ground with a little water.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The celts were in Massachusetts and New Hampshire,Connecticut,whether they made it to Maryland you never know.

Yeah, the way history is taught, millions of Americans think Columbus was first and that he actually set foot on the North America continent; neither of which are even remotely true.

I wish I knew more about certain history, not to mention jewelry, since I seem to be digging up a bit of it.

One thing I've learned through this hobby is, you NEVER know what's in the ground, how long it's been down there or from whom or where it came from. There are always new surprises to be had.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's silver for you. I recently dug a 1927 mercury dime that you would swear was found in change right from the ground with a little water.

I dug a Merc years ago, a 1941 and it looks almost perfect to this day.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say between 6-7 inches.
It also looks a bit crude compared to some similar modern ones I've seen online. I haven't found any pics of anything quite like it.
I do know it's a Celtic/Filigree design. The marks are unreadable so I really have no clue. It may be crude either because it's old or because it's just a cheap ring.
I just don't know.

i found a merc in a park that was only an inch deep. I then found a diamond gold ring near the merc that was an inch deep and thought it was kind of old because it looked like an old style, and hey, the merc was practically alongside it. Later, when I had my magnifying lenses on, I saw the band was hallmarked 14kcz! Not old at all. In the same park, I found a couple of clad dimes that were about 6" deep (How i hate those). Go figure.

on.off

Aug 1, 2014
new york city
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to me the ring doesn't look very old, probably within the last 20 years. it doesn't look particularly celtic, at least to me. i think it is just a modern commercially produced ring. sometimes they are marked 925 with a couple of maker's initials and country of origin such as china or thailand. marks on those pieces can vary in size from tiny to large, and can also be poorly struck, even out of the factory.

fransherrell

Dec 20, 2016
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only a professional can answer this. However, if you are interested in rings then there are plenty of online options available. They offer eclectic collection. You can buy what you like the most and that too at cost-effective rates.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread