Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Jim bowie's treasure

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2010
    16 times

Re: Jim bowie's treasure

Just over 6857 pounds with a bulk value of $152,380,000. If it was in gold coins there ain't no telling what it would be worth. F. Roosevelt ordered all gold to be turned into the government in 1933 to be melted down, so it is thought that only about 1% of US Gold coins survived. I am no expert and would like to hear what the experts say on this one.

us
    Jul 2011

Interesting topic alot dont know it but Bowie was from south Georgia.He moved to La. My grandmother was a Bowie and did
    alot of family tree things.The alamo sent her a thank you letter for clearing up the fact that he was from G.A. I would love
    to read more about this treasure.

us
    Sep 2010
    4 times

Got a story for you all straight from Western and Eastern Treasure magazine. I am not copying it from the mag, just a recollection. This man in Arizona is searching for an underground river in the dessert, he finds a shaft and with the right equipment follows it down to an underground river. He takes some soil samples from around the river and goes to town with it. He asks for a personal meeting with the governor and when he see's him tells him about his shaft. He also tells him about the outcome of his soil sample and explains that the essayed soil has high amounts of silver, gold, and platinum. He tries to cut a deal with the governor that the state can have all the ore they want as long as the citizens get the water for free. The governor says says no, so on a day when he can ditch those following him he goes back to the shaft and blows it up.
    Moral is you can't trust none of the politicians, and I would NOT publicize it if you did find a lost mine or hoard. Mel Fisher is another tragic tale of politicians who don't want to do a days work other than to steal from another man.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2003
    Northern Hemisphere
    20 times
    Cache Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by tomjiggy
    Mel Fisher is another tragic tale of politicians who don't want to do a days work other than to steal from another man.
    Details - please. Via PM if you prefer. 8)

us
    Sep 2010
    4 times

Mel Fisher spent countless hours of research on off coast wrecks, particularly Spanish galleons. He located one and during the recovery lost a son to storms that spring up quickly and violently off the coast of Florida. He still recovered the treasure from his wreck, but after many years in court with the state of Florida(don't quote me on the figures) I think he only got 25% of the realized value of the treasure. I'm not sure if he is still in the salvage business.

th
    Nov 2010
    Thailand/Europe/California
    Excalibur 2 1000
    139 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Hey Tex, you wouldnt happen to be from The Philippines, would you? Sounds kinda like a Yama€$£@\£ treasure story. Im sure there are a lot of treasure hunters in this forum that would gladly donate $10,000 to your fund. I have heard that one is born ever second, but that is just hear say.

Good Luck

bungyboy likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2003
    Northern Hemisphere
    20 times
    Cache Hunting

I'm not sure if he is still in the salvage business.
    Oh, I see... ignore my previous post.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Wave table, etc.
    1966 times

Mel Fisher spent countless hours of research on off coast wrecks, particularly Spanish galleons. He located one and during the recovery lost a son to storms that spring up quickly and violently off the coast of Florida. He still recovered the treasure from his wreck, but after many years in court with the state of Florida(don't quote me on the figures) I think he only got 25% of the realized value of the treasure. I'm not sure if he is still in the salvage business.
    Mel Fisher
    Date of Birth: 08/21/1922
    Date of Death: 12/19/1998
    Age at Death: 76

Cause of Death:
    Cancer
    ~Diggin The Adventure~
    Visit My Personal Forum Pages

us
    Sep 2010
    4 times

GG, I didn't realize it had been that long since his battle with the State of Florida...I'm getting old

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Wave table, etc.
    1966 times

GG, I didn't realize it had been that long since his battle with the State of Florida...I'm getting old
    Yep me too
    ~Diggin The Adventure~
    Visit My Personal Forum Pages

us
    Dec 2010
    16 times

Anyone wanting to read a good book on Jim Bowie, Davy Crockett and William B. Travis should read "Three Roads to the Alamo" by William C. Davis. The writer did his homework for this book. According to the book Jim and Rezin Bowie came close to death near San Saba when ambushed by a group of over 100 Tawakoni, Waco and Caddo Indians. The Bowie expedition had been warned of the attack by some Comanche Indians.

us
    PEOPLE ASSUME WHAT THEY DON'T KNOW, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Feb 2008
    Never Know I May Live Next To You!
    GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
    150 times

Juat wondering are there ANY UPDATES on this posting??
    If I was President; I would take away welfare! I wouldn't make any bargains with foreign countries! I wouldn't take #@*& from any country! I would close the borders! I would get rid of taxes! I would make EVERYONE own at least 5 guns! I would ENFORCE Finders Keepers Law !!!!!!!!

us
    Nov 2011
    White's Prism V 950
    45 times

Quote Originally Posted by bja3908
    I clams to be the most experenced treasurehunter in the state of Texas

Seem to me the self proclaimed (most experenced treasurehunter ) in Texas would have his own funds for investment
    10g's certainly shouldn't be a problem at least....

us
    May 2010
    1 times
    just curious...what does sunnyvale have to do with it? its only about 5 hours drive from brady and no where near san saba...unless there is another one that i dont know of...

also, if you have read much on bowie, many historians believe the mine was a sham to get people to relocate to Texas. bowie was a poor man, who married and swindled his way into money. obtaining titles, selling to more than one buyer, etc.
    part of his agreement with the spanish was to get people to occupy Tx at the time, why not create a story of a mine?
    it is said that he constantly searched for and never found it. had a handful of skirmishes with indians, losing some men
    i have no doubt that he saw a lot of money in his misleading lifetime, but i have high doubts that there is anything of value to be found today

if you have other research to show otherwise, and did the research and believe its there with sufficient proof, 10k is pretty easy to come by
    to me its just an interesting legend
    DFX DAVE in M.D. likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    1382 times
    Research and occasional field work
    Best if somebody goes and reads C.F. Eckhardt's book, THE LOST SAN SABA MINES. He talks about Bowie's actual time in the hill country of Texas. I won't argue with anyone and God Bless you if you wander around searching for riches. You will not be the first or the last. Again, just read the book and quit believing in fairy tales. foolsgoldtx is sort of close, but not really, but the reason can be debated. Again, read the book...
    Last edited by austin; Aug 05, 2012 at 01:16 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links