Chase County Leader, Cottonwood Falls, Kansas, June 15, 1899

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Claude Frances Laloge was born near Lyon, France, May 31, 1831 and died at 1:40 a.m. of cancer of the stomach. He was married to Miss Mary Eugenia Hallotte in the spring of 1863. Five sons were the results of the marriage, four whom - Joseph, Frances, Claude, Peter and the mother survived him. He also leaves two daughters-in-laws and nine grandchildren. All, except Joseph, were at his bedside when he died.

The deceased was bed-fast and had continual suffered from Jan. 21 to the hour of his death. The last four months of his illness was devoted to God, and he received the last sacraments before he died.

The funeral service was conducted by Father Kenifhofer in St. Patrick's church, Florence, at 3:00 PM, June 16 and the body was laid to rest in Calvary cemetery, near that city, and was followed to the grave by a large number of friends who mingled their tears of sorrow with the bereaved family.

The deceased landed in New Orleans, after serving in the French army during the Crimean war, in December, 1857, with just three cents in his possession, which, by the way, he kept until the day of his death. After working at his trade, that of a baker, for a while, he went to the western plains, where he followed the vocation of hunter and trapper, until 1859, when he went to Pike's Peak to dig for gold, but was not successful.

From 1860 to '63 he kept the trading station on the old Santa Fe trail, at the "Cottonwood Holes", about 30 miles northwest of Marion. We believe it was when keeping the stage station at "Cottonwood Holes" that Frank prevented the sacking of the station and murder of the occupants by the Indian Chief Satanta and a number of his tribe. The Indians had been at the station the day before, demanding liquor, which Frank refused. Returning the next day they renewed the demand, and threatened to kill the occupants and burn the station if their demand was not complied with. Frank being the only man about the place acted quickly. Opening a keg of powder he picked up a fire brand and told Satanta that if he and his gang did not leave at once he would blow them and himself into eternity. The Indians knew that Frank was a man who would do just what he said, and as they saw him on the point of applying the fire to the powder they gave a yell of horror and ran away.

Satanta, speaking of the affair afterwards, said he was sure "French Frank" would blow them all to the happy hunting ground if they had not gone away.

In the spring of '54, the deceased located 2 1/2 miles east of Cedar Point, where he resided until 1869, when he moved to the junction of Coon and Cedar Creeks, where he lived until the day of his death.

Chase County Leader, Cottonwood Falls, Kansas, June 15, 1899

Sighari

Mar 12, 2009
Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS
Interesting stuff for sure. I live in Marion and work in Tampa which is about 21 miles NW of here. I would believe this to be in the area of Durham I would guess, could be Tampa but not for sure. I will do some checking with ppl in that area. I have access to the trail crossings on the cottonwood river where the trail crossed in the Durham area (private property), I'll do some checking in that area to see if it was refered to as the Cottonwood Holes.

Have the permission, just haven't had the time to get up there. I'll post about it if that turns out to be the location.

jjprosser

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2011
Southwest Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is old, but I have been trolling the Kansas thread doing some research and came across this. Very interesting to me because I am a descendant of the Laloge family from the Cottonwood Falls area! My great grandfather grew up there and his mother was a Laloge if I remember correctly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread