Ghost Towns of Kansas (A Travelers Guide)

kcseek

Dec 6, 2010
Ottawa
Ghost Towns of Kansas (A Traveler's Guide)

New member here and wanted to see if anyone else has read Ghost Towns of Kansas (A Traveler's Guide) by Daniel Fitzgerald? Published in 1988 it gives a good history of Kansas, pictures, and directions to find all the old locations. There are locations I want to visit this spring just to see but will try to MD when given permission. I would love to find old coins and such like most here but to tell you the truth I am more interested in the history.

It is a good book with bits of history and details about what remains of these sites. Often let's you know if it is privately owned and accessible. Seemed to me with the detail of what went on in these towns, the dates they were active, and events that happened there it would be interesting to members here. If you can't find the book I would be willing to scan pages about the town your interested in. Most entries are only a couple pages at the most. Just do us all a favor here and post about your finds and experiences.

Will

Attachments

• 51WYF10DGAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    51WYF10DGAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 710

arnie161

May 26, 2007
North Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE / T2 / Garrett Ace 250 / White DFX 300 / F75
X-Terra 705 / E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Ghost Towns of Kansas (A Traveler's Guide)

I will have to check this one out, thanks and good detecting

Arnie from logan kansas :hello:

samuel_schumaker

Jan 15, 2008
Holton, Ks
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro w/ Sunray, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer

I have that book. I live about 8 miles from one ghostown listed in the book . Arrington. Also about 15 miles from Kennekuk. Plan on trying to get some permission this spring and doing some detecting on these two locations. Not sure how far away you are?

arnie161

May 26, 2007
North Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE / T2 / Garrett Ace 250 / White DFX 300 / F75
X-Terra 705 / E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i will have to study a map, only been in kansas about 1 year, could not get on this site for a while ?

OP
OP
kcseek

kcseek

Dec 6, 2010
Ottawa

samuel_schumaker said:
I have that book. I live about 8 miles from one ghostown listed in the book . Arrington. Also about 15 miles from Kennekuk. Plan on trying to get some permission this spring and doing some detecting on these two locations. Not sure how far away you are?

I am about 2 hours away from Arrington which I see is very close to Holton. Been living in Ottawa with my girlfriend. My parents both live in Wyandotte county which is where I am from originally and they are starting to have health issues so I may be spending more time there soon.

Wished they had more photos of Kennekuk and Arrington in the book but it sounds like there are still buildings standing in both places. If you can get an old map of the towns layout it might give you some good places to look.

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is a good book . I think I saw a second edition somewhere (Barnes and Noble in Wichita maybe) with new towns but I failed to pick it up. If I see it again I'll buy it.

Rongenzel

Sep 27, 2013
Ogden Kansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ogden Kansas. Going to see if I can locate that book. Thanks

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites DFX, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if anyone is still reading this thread or not but Fitzgerald has 6 books on the subject of ghost towns in kansas. He is a Kansas native and wrote the first one when he was in high school.

Here is the list of books:
Ghost Towns of Kansas Vol. 1 (1976)
Ghost Towns of Kansas Vol. 2 (1979)
Ghost Towns of Kansas Vol. 3 (1982)
Ghost Towns of Kansas: A Travelers Guide (1988)
Faded Dreams: More Ghost towns of Kansas (1994)
Ghost Towns of Kansas 6 (2009)

I have read 2 of these books and can say, from my own research of some towns listed,that these books are historically correct.

Hope someone finds this info to be usefull.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread