N.W. Kansas

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
What town was he from...I have some info on an Old Leota Hotel...as well as a couple of more.
Lots of fine folks from Kansas in this forum,so hope you make contact!

OP
OP
Kansas

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Gypsy... Thanks ! Edmond is the name of the town.

schlooppy.... Thanks ! Didnt know about the meteor there. I would like to find a chunk of that.

~Kansas~

thudson

Apr 7, 2006
Nebraska Panhandle
Hey gypsyheart,
I would be interested in the old leota hotel information. That is where I grew up and still have friends and relation there. Any help would be appreciated. Tyler

mercuryman

Apr 30, 2003
Lexington, NE
I am from Phillipsburg, but reside in Nebraska now, just North of Norton. Cant be a whole lot of help, unless you need help diggin something. Good luck. DM

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Edmond, a town of Solomon township, Norton county, is located on the Solomon river and the Missouri Pacific R. R., about 14 miles southeast of Norton, the county seat. It is a flourishing place, has a national bank, a grain elevator, a flour mill, a creamery, a hotel, graded public schools, a money order postoffice with one rural route, and a large local trade in all lines of merchandise. The population in 1910 was 350.

Page 563 from volume I of Kansas: a cyclopedia of state history, embracing events, institutions, industries, counties, cities, towns, prominent persons, etc. ... / with a supplementary volume devoted to selected personal history and reminiscence. Standard Pub. Co. Chicago : 1912. 3 v. in 4. : front., ill., ports.; 28 cm. Vols. I-II edited by Frank W. Blackmar. Transcribed May 2002 by Carolyn Ward.

also see http://www.kancoll.org/khq/1932/32_4_offthepress.htm

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
Ahh, I didn't know much history in NW Kansas, but I knew much history in NE Kansas area. Richard

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
............During Mr. Morrison's residence here he kept the hotel in Leota; this hotel
was kept in the building that is now occupied by Newt Cope as a
residence. He left here in 1884 and lived for some years in Atchison, but
is now living at St.Joseph, Missouri, and is working at his trade, painting.
(page 170-171)The History of the Early Settlement of Norton County" by F. M.
Lockard published 1894

OP
OP
Kansas

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Just recently I received a old photo of my Great Great Grandfathers Hotel in Edmond KS. It is the building in the foreground with the trees along the side. This is pre 1913 account that is when a fire took most of these buildings out. I understand that only the front of the building stands today.

Attachments

• Re1edmond_main_street.JPG
    Re1edmond_main_street.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 398

arnie161

May 26, 2007
North Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE / T2 / Garrett Ace 250 / White DFX 300 / F75
X-Terra 705 / E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Logan about 28 miles away from norton, ive been a little bussy fixing up the old house, but when good weather appears iam allways up for a hunt.

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
My brother lives in the small town of Healy Kansas, and I hate to admitt that I grew up in an undisclosed location nearby ;D. I am planing on taking a weeks vacation there next fall (2010) as I am trying to line up a ghost town to hunt in the area. Maybe some of us could get together and line up a few sites around the area then. I also have relatives in the hill city area.

lerafe

Greenie
Mar 8, 2010
I know this is an old post, but if you use Google Maps and search Edmond KS, then go down to street level (using the little yellow man) you can see the Hotel, the drawing looks much larger then the real life shot.
Hope this Helps,
Lee
Topeka

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions