Can we hunt around Pawnee Rock?

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
Where we know there are several caches waiting to be found is in the area surrounding Pawnee Rock. Can we hunt here or is it a State Park that belongs to we the people with the stipulation that we the people can't search for and recover treasures that are known to be there? I was wanting to maybe someday come to this place and try my luck searching for and hopefully recovering one of the many many caches known to exist there, but am not able to make the trip just to read a historical marker and leave. Would I be wasting my time and money to show up at Pawnee Rock or can we hunt treasure? (not meaning "Can we hunt" after researching and acquiring permits and making appointments for someone official to come hold our hands.)

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sorry Gooner it's a designated Historical Site. In Kansas metal detecting a historical site isn't allowed. :(

OP
OP
Gooner

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
khpony said:
Sorry Gooner it's a designated Historical Site. In Kansas metal detecting a historical site isn't allowed. :(
So I figured. Of course in my own opinion it is not the actual "metal detecting" nor is it the actual finding and recovering a cache at an historical site that is in question when the legality is in question. The real problem is the potential outcome of the situation if the seeker gets caught doing it. So since we all know that according to the stories there are alledged to be several caches in the immediate vicinity, should we cease to share the stories and let gold and other treasure stay in place or is there any chance of assembling a recovery team to search for some of these caches on camera in an acceptable and documented manner? I am thinking "mini-series" and it could be lucrative to the "Whoever" department that is in charge of the site as well as interesting to watch on television, as long as it doesn't turn into a "reality" situation like most of the nonsense that is on television now. Just speculating, not gonna waste my time vacationing in a non-user friendly environment. Then again, metal detecting isn't illegal at all. Digging the hole when you get a response is the illegal part.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The park is pretty small. There is a LOT of real estate "in the vicinity" of Pawnee Rock.
If you look at Google Earth you can see the boundary and you'll see that there is some
recent photography of the area. You can even tell what was/is planted. I'm planning on
heading over that way in the next couple of weeks. Maybe I'll post a few pics, if you want.

Oh yes, if you do come up, stop at the museum.

http://www.santafetrailcenter.org/

OP
OP
Gooner

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
Rob in KS said:
The park is pretty small. There is a LOT of real estate "in the vicinity" of Pawnee Rock.
If you look at Google Earth you can see the boundary and you'll see that there is some
recent photography of the area. You can even tell what was/is planted. I'm planning on
heading over that way in the next couple of weeks. Maybe I'll post a few pics, if you want.

Oh yes, if you do come up, stop at the museum.

http://www.santafetrailcenter.org/
I would love to visit the museum some day, but I still think the State of Kansas should recruit a team of qualified people with high quality deep seeking equipment and flag every signal and film the entire operation, dig some targets and put them on display. If as many massacres took place there as rumored then there should be several pounds of lead from all the shots fired, plus several pieces of wagon iron as was as a multitude of other relics, not to mention several caches. What an awesome film you could make.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great idea. I been kind of working in that direction myself. Got some spots picked out to go look at.
Can you image how much iron would be in the ground when they burned a wagon. Say about a 6 foot x 10 foot area just loaded with targets. In the case of Pawnee Rock, there would also be a lot of arrowheads.

Now what I want to know is why is a guy from Oklahoma (where there is a treasure story every mile) interested in KS? :dontknow:

OP
OP
Gooner

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
:read2: Well Rob I looked at a map and I drove north to where the sign says "Welcome to Kansas" and I parked and got out and looked at the ground for a dotted line. Guess what? No line, so therefore I am assuming that the entire state of Kansas is also in my backyard. I have met some really great people up there, and basing my ideas on what I have seen on certain channels recently, I have to say the networks are desperate for something to show us the viewers, and what better to watch than a show about the search for and recovery of treasure and historical artifacts? Just throwing the idea out there to the wind. I'm trying the same concept down here in the Osage Hills and the surrounding areas and have become acquainted with many like-minded individuals striving for a similiar goal, a T.V. series, or better yet, a group of interconnected series. Somebody run with it. Here's the ball. :blob7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions