BOUNTY HUNTER 3300

tumbleweed509

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2011
JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE WOULD KNOW WHETHER THE BOUNTY HUNTER 3300 HAS AN ACTUAL DEDICATED ALL-METAL SWITCH? . I REALIZE IT HAS THE PINPOINT BUTTON, BUT I THINK IT MAY BE A "PUSH-AND-HOLD BUTTON. I ALSO REALIZE THAT IT HAS AN ALL METAL MODE THAT PRODUCES A PROCESSED, ANALYZED TONE DING, BUT WAS HOPING FOR THE OLD FASHIONED HUM ON DEEP METAL. INFO IS HARD TO GET ON THESE, BECAUSE MOST DEALERS DON'T USE EM! THANKS GUYS... :icon_pirat:

turnkey1970

Mar 22, 2011
Leavenworth, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac / White's XLT
I found the below information on a review website. I assume it is current info about the 3300. The review mentions all metal mode. Hope it helps!

RADIO SHACK DISCOVERY 3300 (Manufactured by Bounty Hunter) by John M. Gibson

New to metal detecting, I wanted a mid-point detector that offered the normal video information in addition to multi-tone audio found on most metal detectors today. I hunted with a friend a time or two who let me use his Bounty Hunter Time Ranger and I was impressed, but a bit intimidated by all of the features. I wanted sort of a 'little brother' to the Land Ranger and Time Ranger, but with the manual ground-balance feature of the LandStar. My search included all of the major manufacturers and I finally found and settled on the RadioShack Discovery 3300 as the perfect solution.

The detector has 4 audio tones which delineates the lower 2 target categories that are lumped together by the main Bounty Hunter branded models. It also separates the Iron target category into 3 segments, yielding better separation on smaller gold items as well as iron targets, resulting in 11 target categories overall. The numeric VDI is stable and accurate as deep as the detector will detect. The unit incorporates automatic ground-balancing in the motion All-Metal/Disc modes and the manual ground-balance feature is great in mineralized soils when operating in the PinPoint mode.

The unit operates at 6.5 kHz and is very lightweight at a touch under 2.5 lbs with both 9V batteries installed when fitted with standard 8" coil. I purchased the 4" and 10" auxiliary coils sold by Bounty Hunter which can be used on the detector and they work quite well. The control box and coils must be sent into the factory to have the coils calibrated to the machine.

The units sounds the 4 audio tones at start-up and goes into the default 'All-Metal' mode which is a motion-all-metal mode (like running in Discrimination mode with the discriminator set to accept all metals). Pressing the All-Metal/Disc touchpad toggles the unit between the default All-Metal mode and the motion Discriminate mode. Discriminate mode starts with the 3 lower-most iron categories rejected. Pressing the up and down Discriminate arrow-shaped touchpads adds or subtracts target categories to be discriminated. Pressing the PinPoint touchpad allows for deeper searching and excellent pinpointing. The PinPoint mode is actually a no-motion-all-metal mode and the video is turned off in this hunting mode. The detector is a single-tone, non-discriminator in the PinPoint mode, but is quite deep in its search capability.

The ZAP! feature works in the All-Metal/Disc motion modes and eliminates single targets when the touchpad is pressed. A Notch feature is also included that allows selective notching of the 7 lower-most target categories for customized hunting situations.

I have found the detector to be able to detect dimes at 7" measured depth in my moderate Central Mississippi soil with the standard 8" coil and the default sensitivity setting. For a selling price of $299 it's a lot of detector for the money and performs better than I expected. I purchased the optional 3-Year extended warranty for $59 and a set of RadioShack full-muff headphones with individual volume controls for $20.

I really like this detector and have found some good things with it. I like hunting in the default All-Metal mode to see how much trash is at a site and can ZAP! out certain targets that are numerous at a given site. The numeric VDI helps to reconcile the TID categories and the audio to allow the detectorist to dig only the targets he's searching for. Target separation with the 4" coil is excellent and depth with the 10" coil (especially in the PinPoint) mode is ridiculous. It will detect some items that are deeper than you'll want to dig.

I once got a strong signal in the PinPoint mode (relic hunting) and outlined it. It appeared to be a round profile (potential cache!). I switched back to All-Metal and couldn't detect it at all, then switched back to PinPoint and could lift the coil about 10 to 12 inches before I lost the signal. I found the top of the Mason jar at 17" measured depth, but it was just the lid...no jar or money! The point is that this detector is an easy turn-on-and-go unit that is highly programmable for the veteran user and has adequate depth. It is affordably priced and offers unbeatable value for fully-featured detectors with VDI.

Kellyco now offers the Titan 3000XD, which is a twin to the Discovery 3300, but includes a 5-Year warranty and the upgraded upper stem assembly with the larger arm-cup and locking collar to stabilize the lower rod (I paid $20 for the upgrade when the unit was sent in for coil calibration).

I really like my Discovery 3300 and am having a blast hunting with it. Thanks to Bounty Hunter and RadioShack for teaming up together to get this little gem to the market! The only downside or change I would like to see incorporated is the ability to save your hunting setup when switching back and forth between the motion All-Metal/Disc modes and the PinPoint mode. The setup is fast and easy to do, but it would make hunting a bit more enjoyable. I would recommend the Discovery 3300 without reservation for beginners or veterans alike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread