Ghost town of RIchmond ks nemeha county

al3k5y

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2013
The ghost town of richmond lies in nemeha county, not far from the still functioning city of seneca which is said to have caused the city to shut down. They say nothing is left but the road to it and maybe a well. seems to have a lot of history and was a decent sized city for some time, and is said to be a good area to detect. Also a story of a guy burying a sack of gold somewhere around the area. Anyone been there? Know what sort of land it lies on or who might own it? I'd like to check it out if I'm allowed. Anyone want to join? Just recently purchased my garrett ace 350 so looking to test it out somewhere legit.

OP
OP
A

al3k5y

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2013
al3k5y,
Here's the story of the demise of Richmond, the rise of Seneca and the buried gold--from a 1938 newspaper article that I believe you will find most interesting.
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Don..
Richmond Gold Nemaha County Kansas

Thanks mackaydon. I've actually read that article. Looks like it comes from the seneca library? Mayb ill drive down there myself and do some research on the site and maybe find out who the current owner is. Anyone want to join?

oneyedwilly

Jun 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Fever

The ghost town of richmond lies in nemeha county, not far from the still functioning city of seneca which is said to have caused the city to shut down. They say nothing is left but the road to it and maybe a well. seems to have a lot of history and was a decent sized city for some time, and is said to be a good area to detect. Also a story of a guy burying a sack of gold somewhere around the area. Anyone been there? Know what sort of land it lies on or who might own it? I'd like to check it out if I'm allowed. Anyone want to join? Just recently purchased my garrett ace 350 so looking to test it out somewhere legit.

Hey I seen your post here. When are you planning on heading up? Do you know where it's located? I've looked, but can't find anything past this thread.

Kalc

Greenie
Jun 30, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Overland Park, KS. I'd be down for a good hunt.

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites DFX, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read that the gold was in sacks and I've also read it was in a keg. Having said that, I found a story while doing my own research, that said a family in the sixties had shot some pheasants,in the area of the supposed gold, whose stomachs had small gold nuggets in them. This leads me to believe that whether the gold was in sacks or a keg doesn't matter because the storage container that the gold was in, is long gone, having decomposed in the ground. I also believe the gold to be in a field that has been plowed under, and disced up, thousands of times thru the ages. This would explain the gold being on the ground, accessable to the birds.

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The area is now farmland and the river has changed course several times. I've been out there and everything has changed. Good luck if you venture out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread