Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

karajo

Dec 29, 2004
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Anyone here in the KS chat know how i can find areas of creek that arent owned or if they are owned dont mind people comming to hang out and look for stuff in them?
I have no idea even where to begin
Im in the KC area:)
Thanks!
kara

Cpt.Buzzkill

May 12, 2007
Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any updates on your hotel safe search? Sounds like a good one...what year do you estimate it is/hotel built??

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cpt.Buzzkill said:
Any updates on your hotel safe search? Sounds like a good one...what year do you estimate it is/hotel built??

I can't seem to find the time lately. The Hotel was built in the 20's. I did look at a satellite image of the river just the other day. You can see where the old river ran. It is a wheat field now. That is where I believe all the debris and the safe probably is.
Burdie

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
Ahh, I am from Eudora, Kansas and use the metal detector for few months. I really love to do with treasure hunter and more fun! I love to join with you guys who live near by my area and share the treasure hunter. I would like to join the club, if you have the club in my area, please email me with the information.

Thanks,
Richard

sixguns

Oct 19, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All ;D
I am usually talking from the great State of Kentucky, but my job has brought me to the Great State of Kansas. So I was reading thru your State forum, and just wanted to say hey, and hope you all find at least a Double Eagle out there. I just wish I could have brought my machine to try my luck out here, Lord knows its not been good in Kentucky, hahahahaha.....

sixguns

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sixguns said:
Howdy All ;D
I am usually talking from the great State of Kentucky, but my job has brought me to the Great State of Kansas. So I was reading thru your State forum, and just wanted to say hey, and hope you all find at least a Double Eagle out there. I just wish I could have brought my machine to try my luck out here, Lord knows its not been good in Kentucky, hahahahaha.....

sixguns

Welcome my friend and for land sakes get your metal detector mailed to you. You might need a fix before you get back. What part of Kansas are you located?
Burdie

booker

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Hi I am in Emporia I use an Ace250 and Whites MXT. Been hunting the parks and schools around here. Open for a hunt with anyone in the area. Take Care

MDKamper

Jul 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt from Gardner KS. Been hunting about 3 years. Nokta Fors Core. Anyone still on this forum?

OP
OP
LukeTHr

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its been a while since I have been around. Life has thrown me some curveballs. still trying to adapt. Lost a leg above my left knee in 2015 and have tinkered some with the detector but it is much more difficult now, especially on uneven terrain. can swing the detector ok on generally level ground but getting up and down to dig is a challenge.

MDKamper

Jul 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that. There is a guy out west that lost his leg and I believe he has his grandkid come and dig holes while he swings the detector.

ShelbyWeidler

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2018
Wichita, KS
Primary Interest:
Other
Diggerodell

I found some great fossils of clams clustered together at Eldorado Lake. I know they aren’t called clams, I looked them up when I found them, but I’m too lazy to go find the real name. Huge amounts!

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm new here, living in Coffeyville. I came across a rather obscure local story about one of the few Civil War conflicts to take place in Kansas, that occurred only about 15 miles from me. It involved only about 20 Confederate officers led by Col. Charles Harrison, who ran into a group of nearly 200 Osage, who were "Union men". The Osage chased and fought the Rebels for about 4-5 miles along what is named "Rebel Creek" which is directly across the Verdigris River (east) from the present town of Independence, KS, in Montgomery county. There, backed up against the river, the soldiers made their "last stand" on a bar along the east bank and were slaughtered, though two men did manage to escape. The dead were stripped, scalped, mutilated, and beheaded.

The Osage reported the encounter to Federal troops in Humbolt Kansas, and within a few days, troops arrived at Rebel Creek to investigate. The found the bodies in a state of putrefaction, but removed the bodies up the bank, to a mass grave on level ground. Soldiers had to wear bandanas with strong aromatic medicine (menthol?) to cover the stench.

One of the survivors told his tale to a magazine in the 1910's. That story, as well as a couple of newspaper stories, are the only records of the event. No Federal or Confederate Army records have been found giving any more details. There is a very short book, (about 60 pgs),"Massacre at Rebel Creek" by Clay and Lucie Bramble, that tells this story. I've given the "Cliffnotes" version.

As far as I know, this location has never been searched. Likely the only thing that might be located is the grave...possibly. There are old-timers' stories of human bones being found in the area. The whole area around Rebel Creek is cultivated farmland, with dense trees and brush along the river and creek. The Verdigris River is prone to massive flooding occasionally (last time was 2007), so any sand or gravel bar has likely disappeared over the past 155 years.

I am doing some more research, and will approach the landowner soon to seek permission to at least recon the area. If any of you might know of any more stories of this, please share.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread