short34

Greenie
Oct 26, 2009
grandview plaza junction city kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there all I've been reading about a legend in Edwards county near Kinsley Kansas. says that a small wagon train of emigrants were returning east from California gold fields. and they had struck it rich and where heading home. and when they reached the Arkansas river a few miles south of where offerle, Kansas is today they camped for the night on the south side of the river. where they camped at would be later on called the lightner ranch. and the following morning as they were getting ready to pack up and move on the party saw Indians approaching there camp. fearing the worst they forded the Arkansas river and once on the other side they prepared to do battle and they buried there gold in a Dutch oven under a small tree. the Indians did attack and only a little girl survived the attack. and it is said that later on a women from back east had came to Kinsley and rented a cab and she had the driver drive he out to the area where she located with some map she had and when she found the place she just stood there and told the driver you see those to mounds over there are bodies buried there. he then drove her back to Kinsley and the driver asked her how she knew that about the bodies and said she was a relative of theirs. and was never seen again.

I have been looking at Arial maps of the area and you can plainly see where the Arkansas river had changed course abruptly could be from erosion or who knows. but I think the treasure could be still there today but on dry land.

and it also been told where they cross at that one of the ranch hands was down at the crossing some time latter and you could see the remains of one wagon wheels in the water. and that at one point in time a little boy was down at the river and found a old wedding ring in the water.

so any info about the area today would be help full. thinking about going down there later this summer and talking to land owners and looking around and hope fully get permission.

Kaden5424

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havent heard this talked about since i was little.. My grandpa told me about it... I know its been searched for by many.. I recall it happening closer to kinsley vs offerle from what i remeber being told... River has changed a lot too... My great uncle has ground along the old riverbed south of offerle.. Most people in that area wont even let family out on their ground...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread