Dunlap

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Dunlap, incorporated in 1875 by Joseph Dunlap, is guarded by the Neosho River and Rock Creek valleys. The area, once part of the Kansa Indian Reservation, was cheap and came on the market after the tribe was moved to Oklahoma. Just the spot Benjamin “Pap” Singleton wanted to put 300 black exodusters. Born into slavery in 1809, Singleton grew up in Nashville, Tenn., eventually escaping to Canada. When the Civil War was over, Singleton went back to Nashville, where he started the Tennessee Real Estate & Homestead Association, which he organized to help blacks purchase farms. Land in Tennessee was expensive, so Singleton turned his eyes to Kansas. In 1878, three years after starting his first black colony in Kansas, Singleton founded the Dunlap Colony. About 300
exodusters followed Singleton to Dunlap — a white community of about 200 families. They built homes in different areas around the community, one in Dunlap itself, two in Lyon County and one seven miles north of the community. Colonists made down payments on 40- and 80-acre plots at a cost of $1 to $2 an acre, Whitaker said.

Attachments

• dunlap hill.jpg
    dunlap hill.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 359
  • Dunlap Baptist church.jpg
    Dunlap Baptist church.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 423
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
dunlap bank

Attachments

• dunlap bank.jpg
    dunlap bank.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 358
  • dunlap bank today.jpg
    dunlap bank today.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 351

shep

Aug 9, 2008
Dunlap is in my "backyard" so to speak, and I am very familiar with the countryside and environs. It is mostly a ghost town. Any treasure stories connected with Dunlap?

short34

Greenie
Oct 26, 2009
grandview plaza junction city kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my mother is from dunlap Kansas she live next to the old bank and post office and went to school in dunlap she grew up there with her mother and father and two brothers and sister

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread